Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Donkey Tail

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did this Donkey Tail go cheap?

Cheers,

Bob

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Cheaper now than would have been two or three years ago. My thinking is that the particular coin in the auction was cleaned. The reverse looks like it anyway. Still not a bad price.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not in my opinion. It was a circulated example and
    the price was okay but not cheap. VAM's in most cases
    have lost some luster unless they are UNC's.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave Meiholer buys huge quantities of circ. dollars wholesale, and he now has someone searching them for VAMS, so any VAM that he makes and sells for a price above common for the circs. is a plus for him. I doubt his business model will call for reserves on anything but the ultra rarities. Also, most of the VAM set Registry competitors have advanced to a point well beyond the grade of this VAM and many others for their sets. This leaves once hotly competed for VAMs to a secondary or cheaper tier of the collector market, namely those who are not collecting in this area for competitive reasons.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming it really was a problem-free holder and can get into a PCGS holder, it was a bargain. Here are the latest Donkey Tail prices I've gathered:

1887- 1A 45 ANACS Nov-09 E $344
    1887- 1A 45 PCGS Mar-10 E $305
    1887- 1A 40 PCGS Dec-08 E $400
    1887- 1A 40 PCGS Aug-09 E $364
    1887- 1A 40 raw Jan-11 E $156
    1887- 1A 30 NGC Jan-10 E $255
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file