Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cheap camera comparison

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a comparison of a handful of sub-$150 cameras one might look at for shooting coins, and was part of my presentation at FUN. I selected eight cameras that were all announced by their manufacturers at about the same time (according to dpreview.com) and were under $150 on amazon.com on 1/1/11. Then I went and found the user's manual for each and tried to determine just how big a dime and a silver dollar would be with each camera when using the maximum optical zoom of the lens. All calculations are based on what is specified in the user's manual.

Before you say that 450 pixels in diameter is nothing for a dime (yes, it'll be small on the display), consider that 450 pixels in diameter is plenty for an eBay pictures, and a good working distance will enable you to improve your lighting so that the picture will be bright and have sufficient contrast for the camera to focus well. One thing I found odd while doing this exercise is that these specs vary widely within a given manufacturer. I was also surprised to find three cameras that didn't offer custom white balance. You won't be able to use LED lighting with these.

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    John, can you explain the columns and what those numbers mean? If I knew anything about digital cameras, understand, I wouldn't be asking. Then, again, I probably wouldn't need a chart like that. If that makes sense, just give me the old kindergarden version. Thanks.
  • Options
    Right.

Max Tele is the focal length at the maximum optical zoom setting, translated to the equivalent lens on a 35mm camera, where 50ish mm is normal, anything longer is considered telephoto, and smaller is considered wide angle.

Close Focus is the closest the camera can get to the subject, measured in cm from the front of the lens.

Preset WB is the ability to calibrate the white balance to any light source correctly by aiming the camera at a gray card or white piece of paper and telling the camera to save that setting.

Cost is the number of dollars you would have needed to send Amazon, exclusive of tax or shipping as appropriate, to have them send the camera to you. image

Dime pixels is the diameter of a dime in pixels when photographed with the maximum optical zoom at its closest available working distance. Bigger is better. (Likewise for a silver dollar for Dollar pixels.)

This chart is why I've unabashedly recommended the Canon A495 for coin photos on the cheap. It doesn't have image stabilization, but you don't need it on a tripod or copy stand.

• Options
    You'd make a lousy kindergarden teacher. image

I understand the bottom-line, though. Thanks! image
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    So in your opinion, do you get a better picture by having the lens very near the coin using the macro function and 0 digital zoom, or the coin away from the lens with macro function using digital zoom?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    You get a better picture with a little distance between the camera and the coin, primarily because you have room to position your lights at a higher angle. You also pick up fewer reflections from a slab the farther away you are. Get too far away (like 1 m with the Panasonic Lumix FH20), and you start to have other problems like camera shake or having to have the coin on the floor to be able to use your camera.

Edit: Oops, I see you are saying "digital zoom." If you really meant "optical zoom," then what I said stands. Digital zoom is nothing more than taking the picture from your detector and zooming the central part of it. You're not gaining information, so there's no improvement in the image detail using digital zoom over not using it at the same distance.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    The only way I can make distance(roughly 12") between the lens and the coin I'm photographing is to use the digital zoom + macro mode. If I use no digital zoom and plain macro mode, the distance between the lens and the coin is about 2-3" for the best shot. For the record I'm using a Canon A80 tethered to a PC.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    I used to have an A80, but it died. Set at 3x zoom (all optical, no digital) you should be able to focus to 25 cm from the front of the lens with macro turned on, 45 cm with it turned off. I don't remember if the 25 cm number was accurate or not, but 45 cm (18") will give you a dime 297 pixels in diameter -- not terribly large. At 25cm it would be 534 pixels, assuming they're telling the truth about the focal length.

(Edit to fix calculation.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file