Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

John Smoltz question...

first is he a for sure HOF'er???? second what would be considered his rookie card?

Comments

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    I'd say Yes, and 88 Fleer Update.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Jasen, I think he's a HOFer with a very confidence level. I think his 89 UD Star Rookie is his best RC.

• I'm a Topps guys for my HOF auto set - would the 1989 Topps Tiffany be considered a rookie.

What year would Smoltz first year eligible be - I'm sure some other big names are coming up like Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, and others from the 90's-00's.
  • He must be out past 2014...

Eligible for 2012 Baseball Hall of Fame: Bernie Williams, Tim Salmon, Brad Radke, Javy Lopez, Edgardo Alfonzo, Ruben Sierra, Vinny Castilla, Scott Erickson, Jeff Fassero, Joe Randa, Jeromy Burnitz, Eric Young, Brian Jordan, Bill Mueller, Matt Lawton, Jose Hernandez, Phil Nevin, Alex S. Gonzalez, Pedro Astacio, Carl Everett, David Bell, Rick Helling, Jose Vizcaino, Terry Mulholland, Jeff Nelson, Danny Graves, Dustin Hermanson

Eligible for 2013 Baseball Hall of Fame: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Kenny Lofton, David Wells, Julio Franco, Shawn Green, Steve Finley, Roberto Hernandez, Jeff Cirillo, Jose Valentin, Reggie Sanders, Jeff Conine, Jose Mesa, Royce Clayton, Bob Wickman, Ryan Klesko, Aaron Sele, Woody Williams, Rondell White, Mike Lieberthal, Tony Batista, Mike Stanton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Damian Miller, Todd Walker

Eligible for 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame: Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Mike Mussina, Pedro Martinez, Jim Edmonds, Jeff Kent, Luis Gonzalez, Kenny Rogers, Ray Durham, Moises Alou, Richie Sexson, Shannon Stewart, Armando Benitez, Steve Trachsel, Mike Timlin, Keith Foulke, Todd Jones, Mark Grudzielanek, Esteban Loaiza, Freddy Garcia, Jon Lieber, Damion Easley, Trot Nixon, Jacque Jones, Hideo Nomo, J.T. Snow, Jose Vidro, Matt Morris, Jay Payton, Paul Lo Duca, Jose Cruz Jr., Eric Gagne, Paul Byrd, Sean Casey, Scott Hatteberg

2015: Nomar Garciaparra, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz

2016: Brad Ausmus, Ken Griffey Jr., Trevor Hoffman
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Yes

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Eligible for 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame: Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Mike Mussina, Pedro Martinez, Jim Edmonds, Jeff Kent, Luis Gonzalez, Kenny Rogers, Ray Durham, Moises Alou, Richie Sexson, Shannon Stewart, Armando Benitez, Steve Trachsel, Mike Timlin, Keith Foulke, Todd Jones, Mark Grudzielanek, Esteban Loaiza, Freddy Garcia, Jon Lieber, Damion Easley, Trot Nixon, Jacque Jones, Hideo Nomo, J.T. Snow, Jose Vidro, Matt Morris, Jay Payton, Paul Lo Duca, Jose Cruz Jr., Eric Gagne, Paul Byrd, Sean Casey, Scott Hatteberg

Didn't Edmonds play last year?
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoltz, like Glavine and Maddux will be first ballot HOFs. One of the top five rotations of all time.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I also think he'll get in, perhaps not on first ballot depending on who else is eligible that year
    But his career is very similar to Eck's in my opinion
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    I also think he will be in the HOF.

His first ML card is the 88 Fleer update. If you only collect Topps then yes, the 1989 Topps.

Just this week, I was shocked to get back 2 signed cards from Smoltz. He return rate is very low. There have been questions if his autos in the mail are autopen or not but mine definitely are not because they are not exactly the same. 88 Fleer Update and 89 UD
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eligible for 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame: Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Mike Mussina, Pedro Martinez, Jim Edmonds, Jeff Kent, Luis Gonzalez, Kenny Rogers, Ray Durham, Moises Alou, Richie Sexson, Shannon Stewart, Armando Benitez, Steve Trachsel, Mike Timlin, Keith Foulke, Todd Jones, Mark Grudzielanek, Esteban Loaiza, Freddy Garcia, Jon Lieber, Damion Easley, Trot Nixon, Jacque Jones, Hideo Nomo, J.T. Snow, Jose Vidro, Matt Morris, Jay Payton, Paul Lo Duca, Jose Cruz Jr., Eric Gagne, Paul Byrd, Sean Casey, Scott Hatteberg >>

Shouldn't Randy Johnson be eligible in 2014? He did not pitch in 2010, so 5 years would be 2014, no? And Jim Edmonds, Grudzielanek, Freddy Garcia and Jay Payton played in 2010, so they shouldn't be on the list for 2014.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    He's the answer to a cool trivia question.

Q: What player's team won 73 straight games that he played in?

A: John Smoltz. The Braves won in his last 49 appearances of '02, and his first 24 appearances of '03.

• << <i>I also think he'll get in, perhaps not on first ballot depending on who else is eligible that year
    But his career is very similar to Eck's in my opinion >>

do all 3 of these guys go in together... Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz
    Pedro will never be in the HOF
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Pedro will never be in the HOF

Oh, Pedro will get in the HOF .. the same way you and I will ... $25 at the front door. LOL

Smoltz will be elected into the HOF; and I would go with the '89 UD.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

• << <i>Pedro will never be in the HOF >>

How can you say he never gets in... all other pitchers with 3,000+ K's are in the HOF or will be.
    Nice career but 3000 Ks will not be his "in"
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I think Pedro is a HOF...with these career stats....he is better than some already in the HOF.
    G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
    Career 409 46 17 2827.1 2221 1006 919 239 760 3154 219 100 43.2 1.05 .214 2.93

Nevermind the Ks...he has 219 wins to 100 losses. A whip just over 1 and an era under 3. He dominated for 8 seasons (with on injury lost season in the 9 year stretch) and has 3 CY young awards. He is a HOF

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pedro will never be in the HOF >>

Are you joking?

3-time CY Young, 2-time runner up, and a 3rd place finish
    In other words, he was dominant for about 10 years
    He led the league in ERA five times and in WHIP six times

And a career ERA under 3 for a modern pitcher is pretty incredible

He gets in first ballot

<< <i>

Are you joking?

3-time CY Young, 2-time runner up, and a 3rd place finish
    In other words, he was dominant for about 10 years
    He led the league in ERA five times and in WHIP six times

And a career ERA under 3 for a modern pitcher is pretty incredible

He gets in first ballot >>

you my man are CORRECT!!!!!
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Smoltz's most expensive rc is his 1988 Fleer Glossy.
    Another great Smoltz rookie is his 1989 Bowman Tiffany.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
    Pedro is in the Hall of Very Good. I dont deny his ERA, Whip, and Winning pct. are great. If he makes the HOF, I would consider it to be with many others in the HOF that dont belong. It's only my opinion so dont anyone get too emotional LOL

• << <i>Another great Smoltz rookie is his 1989 Bowman Tiffany.

mathew >>

Not sure which card I like better...

• ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I think Tom Glavine would be in this listing also right? There was recently a q/a with him in the AJC and a few of questions revolved around going in the HOF with Maddux.

Rodney

<< <i>

>>

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoltz last played in 2009 so he's eligible for the HOF in 2015. He's a definite HOF'er, IMHO.

As for Pedro, I say he's a HOF'er as well. His 2000 season was quite possibly the best pitcher season of the last 40 years, maybe ever. He had an ERA of 1.74 against a league ERA of 4.91. Nearly 12Ks per 9 innings. While pitching in Fenway. His ERA+ of 291 is the best of all-time (ignoring Tim Keefe's 295 in 1880). By contrast, Bob Gibson's was "only" 258 during his 1968 season. Pedro had a 9-year run where he was legitimately great, sometimes (1999/2000) all-time great. 8-time All-Star. 3-time Cy Young winner. 2 top-5 MVP finishes.

The only knock on Pedro is his durability and the resulting total of "only" 219 wins. I get that. But...

I hate it when guys do this kind of comparison so let me be clear: I am NOT saying "If so-and-so is in, so should Pedro be". Pedro's career numbers are similar to Whitey Ford - similar win%, similar win totals (though Whitey had 236 vs 219), similar ERAs (2.75 vs 2.93) and so on. No one complains about Whitey being in the HOF. So why complain about Pedro when he was far more dominant?

He absolutely is a HOF'er.

Tabe

• sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who states that Pedro Martinez shouldn't make the Hall of Fame doesn't know much about baseball.

<< <i>Anyone who states that Pedro Martinez shouldn't make the Hall of Fame doesn't know much about baseball. >>

Yeah, thats right, I know nothing about baseball image
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    There are six pitchers since 1901 who during their entire careers achieved a CAWS (Career Assessment (his ten best seasons) + Win Shares) score of 180 with fewer than 2400 innings pitched. CWS is career win shares, CV is his peak core value (the win shares for the ten best seasons).

Player ------------IP------CWS------CV-----CAWS
    Addie Joss-----2327-----191------191------191
    Sandy Koufax-2324-----194------190------191
    Hoyt Wilhelm--2254-----256------168------190
    Mo Rivera------1090-----227------175------188
    R.Gossage ----1809-----223------173------186
    Dizzy Dean----1967-----181------180------180
    Pedro Martinez--2297--224------200------ 206

For reference Pedro's top peers are Maddux at 284, Randy Johnson is at 256, Roider Clemens is at 303 CAWS respectively.

So it's a fair question to ask, but Pedro's peak puts him right there with Koufax, and since Koufax is in, so is Pedro.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

• << <i>

<< <i>Anyone who states that Pedro Martinez shouldn't make the Hall of Fame doesn't know much about baseball. >>

Yeah, thats right, I know nothing about baseball image >>

It's one thing to say that a player could be a marginal HOFer, but to say that one of the best and most dominant pitchers of all-time shouldn't be a Hall of Famer at all is literally laughable. I wouldn't hesitate to say that what you said is literally funny to most people with knowledge of baseball.
    Ohhhh dont hurt my feelings SportsCardTheory booo hooo image
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoltz - definite HOF'er, and he has only 1 rookie card (1988 Fleer Update), so that makes it real easy.

As for Pedro Martinez, he is one of the most dominant pitchers of all time. No-brainer first-ballot HOF'er. If you don't think so, you know nothing about baseball and shouldn't be commenting on it in a public forum.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    OK, I guess my forum posting days are over boo hooo image