Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sad news for exonumia collectors, but a new friend is made

tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
About 3 years ago, I was contacted by a gentleman who had an original set of dies for a Columbian Expo medal. During his online research, came across my site and asked for some history regarding the medal and then showed me what he had. These are the original dies from Hanson in Chicago that had made numerous medals and tokens for many expos, stores, and trade tokens. His family members worked there for years, some still do, and when Hanson sold off their medal stamping business, they just threw out the dies! In the trash! Fortunately, the family thought they were pretty cool and picked through them and kept some, just a small portion, of what they saw in the trash can. Unfortunately, the majority of the dies that were made by Hanson are long gone in the trash heap along with virtually all mintage records.

I was invited over to his house this weekend to see the one he had from the Columbian Expo and reunite some long lost buddies.

This is the original die pair for Eglit E-35/35A. 57mm medal that came in bronze and white metal.

Here is what the medal looks like in white metal:

And then there is Eglit-231. This is a die trial for the obverse. They are known in white metal and brass. They are also numbered, mine in brass is numbered "1". I suspect that this was the first brass trial, not necessarily the first trial. I would think they would have started with a soft metal of some sort. So these two pieces were reunited for a short period of time yesterday.

It was great to meet my new friend, share some stories, and see some history of some old trade tokens and medals. He has more than what I saw yesterday so I hope that we can get together again some day soon.

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    wow, please preserve those (i know you will)

www.brunkauctions.com

• tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, they were not for sale at this time. The medals are mine, though. However, he cherishes the dies so I am sure they are well taken care of.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you hiding the label on the NGC slab? I'd be interested to see what they said.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>Why are you hiding the label on the NGC slab? I'd be interested to see what they said. >>

Not hiding it, just didn't need it for the picture. They call it what it is, E-231, brass. Nothing other than that.

Here's the picture of the entire slab:
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you hiding the label on the NGC slab? I'd be interested to see what they said.

c'mon, Perry, after a post like this from a guy who routinely updates us on how his collection grows and the what/where/how of everything you should know by now that there's nothing he's hiding, except to keep the anonymity of the sources. BTW, nice score, Tom. you epitomize "specialize" as few at this site have since i've been a member.
    Thanks, but again, the dies are not mine. I just got to visit them. I was told that if/when he decides to part with them, I will be the first person he calls.
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool medals!

Maybe someday NGC could give you a free re-holder to correct their label error. At least to my eyes, that uniface brass medal doesn't look octagonal, but then, I guess I'm a numbers guy. image
    You're right---I could have asked my question a little more diplomatically. Thanks for showing the label. I was interested to see what grade they gave it and what they called it. Nice medal and the dies would be a great collectible.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>Cool medals!

Maybe someday NGC could give you a free re-holder to correct their label error. At least to my eyes, that uniface brass medal doesn't look octagonal, but then, I guess I'm a numbers guy. image >>

LMAO. It does surprise me how many errors I end up with on NGC inserts. This is just one that I wasn't concerned enough to resend. Sadly, my error insert rate is worse than 10%!
    yes, Tom, i know that. my comment was intended as a reminder of past updates. unlike many i do actually read posts!!imageimage
    And some might read "specialize" as "narrow minded". imageimage
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!
    there's nothing narrow about collecting by Eglit numbers or things related to that Exposition. and to be living in Chicago.......................you are one lucky dog!!
    It does surprise me how many errors I end up with on NGC inserts. This is just one that I wasn't concerned enough to resend. Sadly, my error insert rate is worse than 10%!

i have quite a few on medal insets, also. i think it says more about how B.S. is overworked than anything else, although on a couple i mis-attributed stuff on my submission form and they simply followed suit.

<< <i> It does surprise me how many errors I end up with on NGC inserts. This is just one that I wasn't concerned enough to resend. Sadly, my error insert rate is worse than 10%!

i have quite a few on medal insets, also. i think it says more about how B.S. is overworked than anything else, although on a couple i mis-attributed stuff on my submission form and they simply followed suit. >>

Yes he is overworked. They definitely need another exonumia grader.

<< <i>Cool medals!

Maybe someday NGC could give you a free re-holder to correct their label error. At least to my eyes, that uniface brass medal doesn't look octagonal, but then, I guess I'm a numbers guy. image >>

You're right---it's a hexanon. I missed that and I'm an engineer!image

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - very cool. Thanks for sharing those dies. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too cool for school! Thanks for sharing this neat stuff.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow those dies are amazing! VERY cool! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭✭
    How about a run of restrikes?
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that kind of stuff (old dies). Cool post!
    Is anyone concerned that these dies have never been cancelled and there is nothing to prevent several thousand restrikes from being produced thus destroying the value of the originals?

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Very cool.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone concerned that these dies have never been cancelled and there is nothing to prevent several thousand restrikes from being produced thus destroying the value of the originals? >>

No. I'm sure that Tom didn't even have to approach the subject with the current owner. And if tmot99 becomes the next owner of the dies, I'm confident that won't be a concern then as well.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anyone concerned that these dies have never been cancelled and there is nothing to prevent several thousand restrikes from being produced thus destroying the value of the originals? >>

No. I'm sure that Tom didn't even have to approach the subject with the current owner. And if tmot99 becomes the next owner of the dies, I'm confident that won't be a concern then as well. >>

How can you be sure that tmot99 will be the next and LAST owner of these dies?

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As previously mentioned by others... awesome.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Cool dies.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome find. Thanks for sharing.

Coins are overrated. Dies are underrated.

<< <i>

<< <i>

No. I'm sure that Tom didn't even have to approach the subject with the current owner. And if tmot99 becomes the next owner of the dies, I'm confident that won't be a concern then as well. >>

How can you be sure that tmot99 will be the next and LAST owner of these dies? >>

Perry, medal stamping companies didn't cancel dies. In fact, many of the smaller size dies were likely reused over and over again. My theory is company XYZ would approach a stamping company such as Hanson and the conversation would go something like:

Company XYZ: I need a token for my company. This is what I want on it.
    Stamping Company: Here are the dies that I have available. Which one do you like?
    Company XYZ: Awe, this one is really cool! Let's do that one!

And this could be years after an event like the Columbian Expo. This is just theory, but given what I've seen with WCE, it makes sense.

Remember that these are medals and not coins. There was no benefit for them to be canceled. To them, what harm would these dies cause? Simple answer, none.

There are many many medal/token dies out there. I've seen plenty and none of them were canceled. I do know of one person that has some dies for some elongates that has put a marker to designate them as a modern should they ever be used.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool medals!

You're right---it's a hexanon. I missed that and I'm an engineer!image >>

Hey, it's got eight sides! Top, bottom, upper right, lower right, upper left, lower left, front and back!!!!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you agree with me that not everything that can be struck should be struck?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I would assume the Eglit-231 6 sided token would have been struck with no collar...??? (but then again, what would I know) You need to change the title of this thread to just "AWESOME"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool medals and all

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file