Comments

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Its missing "Copy" stamped on it image
  • Options
    Funky looking luster to me?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I am not used to seeing a coin of that date in that condition.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very suspicious to me.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For crying out loud!
    I'm guessing it's..................................fake? image
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Not my series so cant tell you if its fake or not but that coin looks like its proof like!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    that is so cool

it looks just like the only 1795 off-center draped bust special strike that PCGS has certified as SP66

that has been cracked out and dipped (or something to remove toning)
  • Options

The stars look off to me, and where is the denomination listed?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like the ex Jimmy Hayes small eagle Flowing hair dollar.....heavy polished dies? MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that coin is fake, it must be "state of the art" and we're in big trouble.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Well, congrats to a few of you and eeeeeerrrrrrrrrr to some others:

1795 Draped Bust Dollar, Small Eagle - Ex. Hayes

Ex Jimmy Hayes Collection, Stacks, October 1985, lot 73, where it was catalogued "Choice Brilliant Proof." Struck from polished dies and exhibiting extremely sharp detail on the highest parts of the hair and the eagle's breast feathers. Undoubtedly one of the presentation pieces made for influential vistors and others under the administration of Mint Director Henry DeSaussure, many of which found their way to Europe. While this piece traces its provenance back to U.S. collector J. Colvin Randall, circa 1880, Randall made a number of trips across the Atlantic to make acquisitions for his collection. Since there is no record of a "Proof" or specimen 1795 Draped Bust Dollar in America prior to the Randall Sale in 1885, it is quite possible that he acquired the coin abroad. The Lester Merkin specimen, illustrated in Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States and Colonial Proof Coins was one such piece. Presumably, it was in England from sometime around the year of issue until its appearance in America in the 1970's, nearly 180 years later.

Ex. Garrett Collection, Bowers & Ruddy, lot 680, March, 1980; earlier from the J. Colvin Randall Collection, W. Elliott Woodward, lot 12, July, 1885

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it might be the next product off the ol' Grabener press.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not see this thread until after the source was revealed.
    I remember when the Linderman 1804 dollar walked into ANACS. My first thought was "Who made this? The Franklin Mint?" It was a gorgeous brilliant Proof, and seemed too good to be true. It wasn't.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take TWO please.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    People in 1795 must have been crazy to spend 1795 dated coins. Even worse they spent 1793 and 1794 coins. What were they thinking?
  • Options
    I'll give 99c!
  • Options

<< <i>Even once you've 'bought enough books' to where you're comfortable 'buying the coin', IMO, you should get some old auction catalogs.

They make for hours of great 'perusing', and can provide very significant info, much/most of which is not readliy-available, (if at all,) via "googling", etc.

(And they're mostly still $ cheap!) >>

Yes, you are totally correct....twice. Very good reading material and none too expensive.

I also like old Rare Coin Reviews from Bowers and Merena.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    It looks very right to me. Garrett?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People in 1795 must have been crazy to spend 1795 dated coins. Even worse they spent 1793 and 1794 coins. What were they thinking? >>

Maybe about having food for the day.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file