Home Sports Talk
Options

D'Backs-Stupid is as Stupid Does

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
"Geoff Blum apparently didn’t fill new general manager Kevin Towers’ “scrappy utility infielder” quota for the offseason, so Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Willie Bloomquist to a one-year, $1.05 million deal with a mutual option for 2012…

[Bloomquist’s] .653 career OPS ranks eighth-worst among all active players with at least 2,000 plate appearances ahead of only Juan Castro, John McDonald, Cesar Izturis, Adam Everett, Nick Punto, Willy Taveras, and Alex Cora."

Comments

• Options
    Willie had 3 HR last year. Thats only 70 away from the record.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Willie had 3 HR last year. Thats only 70 away from the record. >>

But only 58 away from the "Clean" record...
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I completely disagree with evrything posted. Bloomquist can play almost every position on the field...and play it well. He is an outstanding baserunner...and I mean outstanding. He is a utility guy that any team in the bigs can use. He is not a power hitter.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I completely disagree with evrything posted. Bloomquist can play almost every position on the field...and play it well. He is an outstanding baserunner...and I mean outstanding. He is a utility guy that any team in the bigs can use. He is not a power hitter. >>

As someone once said-"You can't steal first." He has no power as you noted. His OBP last year was below .300. He stole 8 bases and was caught 5 times, although his career success rate is around 80%. As for the many positions he plays, his range factor is below average in every one of them.

You can have him-I want no part of him on my team. What does he bring that I can not find in the minors for the major league minimum?
  • Options
    Yup, this awful hitter runs well, and plays many positions, but...who is the genius of playing this guy here in his career...

Innings at 1B, 128
    Innings at 3B, 819
    Innings at LF, 340

Plate appearances leading off 115
    second 684
    third 17
    fourth 17

The only way this guy should be employed is if he is batting 8th or 9th and only playing SS or 2B

I will give him this though, with his baserunning and ability to play SS, he has about the same value in MLB as Jim Rice did from age 34-36, LOL.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn, give up the Rice jokes. Get over it...he's in. He's in. He's in. He's in. He's in. He's in.
  • Options
    Mickey

You managed to get "Rice," "jokes," and "He's in," within the same line on the screen, well done image
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?