Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit holder?

Something doesnt seem right about this coin. The colors look like an obvious AT job and a having only 11 feedback doesnt help.

Ebay Link

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the Chinese, or those who would be counterfeiting PCGS holders, as being subtle enough to do it just to hide some AT. If the coin were a Bust dollar or a Gobrecht dollar, yeah, maybe, but I don't see anything wrong with that holder.

AT? Not my forte. I dunno. It looks a bit wildly colored and heat-induced, I suppose. The toning is too dark for me to get much excited about, in any event.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that it's a fake holder. I think it is just crappy pics.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Two of the photos are of the coin not in the holder. It definitely doesn't look right to me.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    The seller shows individual pics/scan? of coin outside of slab, before submission/insertion which takes planning but some people can do that
    I am not sure all 4 pics/scans are of same coin

last 3 sales that have feedback are high higher ticket PCGS coins

the 1932-D quarter in PCGS MS64 they sold in last couple months looks kinda ugly for a 64 (if you told me it was a 58,I wouldn't argue)
    -but could just be glare/ light reflection on pics
  • Options
    the coin just doesnt look right to me, something about the color throws up a red flag.
  • Options
    I agree-crappy pics. Looks a little funky but it's probably real. I'd pass though.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    I'm extremely suspicious.
  • Options
    I think the coin's color is somewhat unusual, but that the offering is perfectly legitimate.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Real coin, fake holder IMO. Font is too bold on the label.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that there is anything wrong with the coin or the holder - I'd just be leary of buying anything from a seller with 11 feedbacks. But that's just me. image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Not that there is anything wrong with the coin or the holder - I'd just be leary of buying anything from a seller with 11 feedbacks. But that's just me. image >>

I can understand that, but check the last three items he has received positive feedback on.
  • Options
    jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    The label looks too big.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I can understand that, but check the last three items he has received positive feedback on.

The seller has delivered what they showed listed - does not guarantee the slab is legit

this coin in question did not meet reserve in the past, so they think highly of it
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bold font on the holder scares me...as does the fact that 21 of his first 27 feedbacks left came from 4 buyers.
  • Options

<< <i>I can understand that, but check the last three items he has received positive feedback on.

The seller has delivered what they showed listed - does not guarantee the slab is legit....

>>

I never said or implied that it did. And your comment could be applied to any seller, no matter how high their feedback. My remark was in reply to "- I'd just be leary of buying anything from a seller with 11 feedbacks".
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not that there is anything wrong with the coin or the holder - I'd just be leary of buying anything from a seller with 11 feedbacks. But that's just me. image >>

I can understand that, but check the last three items he has received positive feedback on. >>

Yeah. You don't find it a little odd that the seller went from selling cheap, raw coins for $10 and $20 to all of a sudden having $2k and $3k coins? Also...

It didn't meet the "low reserve" last time and was relisted. I don't like being skeptical, but this one scares me a little.
  • Options
    the colors are way off what morgans come with, especially on an 1881-O. I personally think the holders fake and that scares me if PCGS actually certified something with purple and red toning.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>fake holder IMO. Font is too bold on the label.

-Paul >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I can understand that, but check the last three items he has received positive feedback on. >>

Yeah. You don't find it a little odd that the seller went from selling cheap, raw coins for $10 and $20 to all of a sudden having $2k and $3k coins? Also...

It didn't meet the "low reserve" last time and was relisted. I don't like being skeptical, but this one scares me a little. >>

Sure, I'd be cautious, but do you really think the seller is in cahoots with the last three people who left positive feedback on coins that sold for several hundred+ dollars ? And if he had started out with more valuable coins, instead of lower priced ones, people would be even more suspicious.

Lastly, the images of the coin out of the holder look like a coin that could grade 65 and be NT, and it appears to match what is seen in the holder. So, all things considered, I cautiously vote no scam here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>fake holder IMO. Font is too bold on the label.

-Paul >>

image >>

I also dont think the coin is real either. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It didn't meet the "low reserve" last time and was relisted. I don't like being skeptical, but this one scares me a little. >>

Sure, I'd be cautious, but do you really think the seller is in cahoots with the last three people who left positive feedback on coins that sold for several hundred+ dollars ? And if he had started out with more valuable coins, instead of lower priced ones, people would be even more suspicious.

Lastly, the images of the coin out of the holder look like a coin that could grade 65 and be NT, and it appears to match what is seen in the holder. So, all things considered, I cautiously vote no scam here. >>

Look at the date of the coin. Sorry but 1881-Os dont come like that no matter how you slice it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lastly, the images of the coin out of the holder look like a coin that could grade 65 and be NT, and it appears to match what is seen in the holder. So, all things considered, I cautiously vote no scam here. >>

Look at the date of the coin. Sorry but 1881-Os dont come like that no matter how you slice it. >>

So, you're saying that this coin is unquestionably either an altered date or a counterfeit. I disagree,

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Look at the date of the coin. Sorry but 1881-Os dont come like that no matter how you slice it. >>

So, you're saying that this coin is unquestionably either an altered date or a counterfeit. I disagree,

image >>

Artificially toned, PCGS wouldnt certify that with a 10ft pole. Fake holder, real coin, artificially toned.
  • Options

<< <i>.....Artificially toned, PCGS wouldnt certify that with a 10ft pole. Fake holder, real coin, artificially toned. >>

But in your previous post, you wrote "Look at the date of the coin. Sorry but 1881-Os dont come like that no matter how you slice it."

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me... I think he just juiced the photos to highlight the ugly tarnish.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.....Artificially toned, PCGS wouldnt certify that with a 10ft pole. Fake holder, real coin, artificially toned. >>

But in your previous post, you wrote "Look at the date of the coin. Sorry but 1881-Os dont come like that no matter how you slice it." >>

Yes, Toning wise. They don't tone like that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

But in your previous post, you wrote "Look at the date of the coin. Sorry but 1881-Os dont come like that no matter how you slice it." >>

Yes, Toning wise. They don't tone like that. >>

It is often dangerous to assume that a coin looks extremely similar to how it appears in an image. And your theory as to why the coin and holder are not legitimate requires a number of assumptions. I'll go with a much simpler explanation that the image isn't very good.

I sent a message to the seller, along with a link to his thread, and told him I would be happy to post a response on his behalf, if he is interested.
  • Options
    From the EBay seller:

"I'm a ANA,PCGS,NGC,ICG,ANACS,Member for over # 20 year's now....And this will not be the first or last certified or raw rainbow toned coin I'll be listing...Seeing how I've been collecting DMPL's & rainbow's for the past # 15 year's....As for my reply to anyone ...Read my feedback now and in # 5 year's....I ship fast and give a 100% guarantee of authentication on all raw & certified coin's I sell......Note: I look'ed at the website you mention'ed...It look's like there's openion's on maney thing's there.....God bless and have a nice Day......Jim"
  • Options
    Well, there ya go Mark. It must be right because the eBay seller says it is.
    I'm so glad that's settled. image
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options

<< <i>Well, there ya go Mark. It must be right because the eBay seller says it is.
    I'm so glad that's settled. image >>

I merely posted the seller's reply. It obviously doesn't settle things, just as none of the accusations nor counter points posted here, settle things.
  • Options
    Of course Mark. My reply was sarcastic humor at the response you received from the eBay seller only
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, Toning wise. They don't tone like that. >>

It is often dangerous to assume that a coin looks extremely similar to how it appears in an image. And your theory as to why the coin and holder are not legitimate requires a number of assumptions. I'll go with a much simpler explanation that the image isn't very good.

I sent a message to the seller, along with a link to his thread, and told him I would be happy to post a response on his behalf, if he is interested. >>

IMO from the picture it looks AT, that's just my opinion. But you know how badly some pictures are taken/juiced image
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the seller is providing a 7 day return policy.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    kinda reminds me of this one similar toned dollar
  • Options
    I do not think that coin would grade a 65 imo, by the pics their appear to be rub on the eagle's breast.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file