Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the usual reason for a coin being reauctioned?

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭
I sometimes see coins that get reauctioned a few months to a year after their previous auction sale. Sometimes they even get sold by the same auction house.

What would be the most common reason for this happening: (1) Dealer who bought it wasn't able to flip it; (2) Collector who bought it didn't like it or upgraded; 3) Some Other Reason?

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It could be due to a variety of reasons but the most common reason is the lot did not sell in the first auction and is being relisted in the next auction, perhaps with a lower reserve price.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    you forgot schill bidding.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It could be due to a variety of reasons but the most common reason is the lot did not sell in the first auction and is being relisted in the next auction, perhaps with a lower reserve price. >>

I'm talking about Heritage lots that ostensibly have no reserve or bidding exceeded the reserve.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It could be due to a variety of reasons but the most common reason is the lot did not sell in the first auction and is being relisted in the next auction, perhaps with a lower reserve price. >>

I'm talking about Heritage lots that ostensibly have no reserve or bidding exceeded the reserve. >>

Heritage bought the lot the first time around for inventory -
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there's mainly two reasons:

1) the coin is dealer's inventory (not privately owned)

2) it's a 'dud' in regards to its slabbed grade.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm talking about Heritage lots that ostensibly have no reserve or bidding exceeded the reserve. >>

Heritage bought the lot the first time around for inventory - >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    1. There is an issue with the coin

2. The market has changed (highly unlikely in a short period of time)

3. It never actualy sold the first time around (shill bid, reserve not met etc)

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    sometimes the auction house/dealer buys the lot as it went to low in their minds
    and it will have a 50%+ higher reserve now until it sells

some collectors over-extend or change focus and sell a chuck of their collection - some held short periods

I do not think there is a 'usual' reason
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of one reason - this Morgan has been relisted nearly a dozen times, initially as far back as last August, when it was listed as a BIN at $449 and change...

I'd found this in a forgotten Ebay list I'd created at the time, and went back to the original auction. It didn't sell, and was re-listed so many times, it made me dizzy to follow each one... it's now listed at nearly 2/3 off the original listing price...

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buyer couldnt come up with the money. Overbid.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The one Obiwancanoli linked is obvious. A common, white Morgan, listed in Aug for BIN at $449 and currently $224 reduced to $168. According to the PCGS Price Guide it's a $145 coin. Wonder what that seller is thinking!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The potted palm is thinning out it's collection.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one Obiwancanoli linked is obvious. A common, white Morgan, listed in Aug for BIN at $449 and currently $224 reduced to $168. According to the PCGS Price Guide it's a $145 coin. Wonder what that seller is thinking! >>

Most of that seller's stuff is overpriced.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file