Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you respond to this? BST related

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
You post an item up for sale for say $500. You recieve a message from a board member asking if the price is firm, and you reply saying you have some room.

At this point, you recieve an offer of $300 along with a note basically saying the coin is overgraded, and PCGS price guide in the grade they feel the coin is, is $300.
Besides politely passing, how would you respond? Would you even bother making an offer like that regardless of what you thought the grade/price guides say?

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    $301
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I politely say "no thank you" and keep above the fray. No need to start a tit for tat arguing the merits of the coin. Life is too short.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides politely passing, how would you respond?

I wouldn't say any more.

However, if the guy was only planning on offering $300, he should have first asked you if you had a lot of room in the coin. If your answer was "no", he could have ended the negotiation right there.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    As annoying as it is, he's just trying to get the best possible price, testing the waters. I doubt he is willing to pay what you want, tell him no thanks.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Politely decline the offer of $300 and, if the offer was made in an attempt to start a negotiation, suggest that the two of you likely value the coin at levels that are too far away from one another so as to make it impossible to come to a meeting of the minds.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Not unusual for two people to disagree on the value of a coin. I would respond with my best price and a thank you. --Jerry
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Politely decline the offer of $300 and, if the offer was made in an attempt to start a negotiation, suggest that the two of you likely value the coin at levels that are too far away from one another so as to make it impossible to come to a meeting of the minds. >>

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options

<< <i>Not unusual for two people to disagree on the value of a coin. I would respond with my best price and a thank you. --Jerry >>

exactly what i was thinking....

this is my best price on this coin $xxx and thank you.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a buyer, if I thought the coin was worth $300, and it was listed for $500, I would not have bothered with an offer.

As a seller, I would simply pass if someone offered me $300 on a coin I thought was worth $500.

Some differences are too far apart to try to bridge.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny as I get the same messages from a specific board member as well.
    I wonder if its the same guy..

Anyways- the proper response should be "your $300 cash is really worthless paper so I will have to pass."

feel free to edit/ change the exact response, but the concept works quite well
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why worry about anything more than "I'll pass"?

Does it make one feel better to "fight fire with fire" and lob it back at the potential buyer? Is it worth potentially starting a pissing contest?

I would just say "thanks, but no thanks" and leave it at that. If the person does it more than a couple of times, they are either extremely clueless or are trying to lowball so they can try to sell for a profit. If it is the former, I may try a little harder to nicely educate. If the latter, they can take that proverbial leap for all I care.

There have been a few folks on the BST that, over time, have become known as lowballers and some of them are dealers....so they lowball so they can resell. More power to them if they do it without insulting the seller and crazy lowballing, but if that is their MO all the time, then I have no problems ignoring them.

Your 2nd question of "would you even bother making an offer like that...?"
    Nope. I wouldn't. Depending if there were pictures provided or not, and what recent auction sales (ebay, HA, etc) were, I may ask if there is something special about the coin that would justify the higher price.......like a rainbow toned morgan vs a blast white common morgan.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just state... "My offer will still stand at $500... But I appreciate your offer" "Thank you"...
  • Options
    I'd just give him my best price and say play or pass.
  • Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    i would respond to the BST post and your post in the same words.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counter offer $475 or $450
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Give him an offer back $499.

Even though the offer can sound a bit dumb, he is just trying to get the most bang for his buck, and maybe persuade you that the coin you are selling is overgraded.
    Politely reject the offer, then counter the offer with your lowest price, and maybe mention your faith in the grade that the TPG gave it.

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I politely say "no thank you" and keep above the fray. No need to start a tit for tat arguing the merits of the coin. Life is too short. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I politely say "no thank you" and keep above the fray. No need to start a tit for tat arguing the merits of the coin. Life is too short. >>

Well said.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "While my price wasn't firm, nor was it totally flaccid."

• Options
    .........In the spirit of Christmas ........., tell him 300$ is too much , and offer to him @ 275$ !

• Options

<< <i>You post an item up for sale for say $500. You recieve a message from a board member asking if the price is firm, and you reply saying you have some room.

At this point, you recieve an offer of $300 along with a note basically saying the coin is overgraded, and PCGS price guide in the grade they feel the coin is, is $300.
    Besides politely passing, how would you respond? Would you even bother making an offer like that regardless of what you thought the grade/price guides say?

AJ >>

I'd tell him politely-Pass.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd ask the guy to round up as many of those they can find and sell them back to me at 325-$375 since I'm a buyer at those levels.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I would just say no thanks and leave it at that
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass on it.
    Thanks for the offer.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    If a proposed offer is not acceptable, my response regardless of what I'm selling and regardless of how low-ball, silly, crazy etc. the offer:

I apologize but I must respectfully decline your offer; thank you for your inquiry.

I fail to understand why any further thought, however fleeting, is necessary.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a proposed offer is not acceptable, my response regardless of what I'm selling and regardless of how low-ball, silly, crazy etc. the offer:

I apologize but I must respectfully decline your offer; thank you for your inquiry.

I fail to understand why any further thought, however fleeting, is necessary. >>

I fail to understand why you feel the need to apologize for not accepting a low ball offer or for any offer for that matter.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If a proposed offer is not acceptable, my response regardless of what I'm selling and regardless of how low-ball, silly, crazy etc. the offer:

I fail to understand why any further thought, however fleeting, is necessary. >>

I fail to understand why you feel the need to apologize for not accepting a low ball offer or for any offer for that matter. >>

Just my nature.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like negotiations, so I would have asked what he was thinking, and corresponded until we were done negotiating or until the coin changed hands, whichever the case may be.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>funny as I get the same messages from a specific board member as well. I wonder if its the same guy. >>

I'm with you on this; the only time I ever got a PM from a certain person was to make a lowball offer, even though my listings said "price is firm". Finally told them not to contact me in the future and I set up a PM block just to make sure. Being on the boards has been more pleasant ever since.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    My response would be. No thank you, I feel the coin is worth my asking price.

I think its fine to offer any price you wish but if someone wants a 40% lower price how much room can there be to talk?. I doubt if I would talk much to a person with that mind set.

• Options
    If my best price was $400, then I would counter-offer $400 and note that as my bottom dollar.

If more than $400 is required - just a no thanks is fine.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would respond that at this time I can't take 300 and state what the minimum I am willing to take.
    Over the past 2 yrs I have done over 200,000 in transactions on the BST (40,000 in just the past 2 months) and very rarely
    was there not at least some negotiating.
    I have occasionally gotten ridiculous offers and in a few few cases even accepted a few lowball offers.
  • Options

<< <i>I like negotiations, so I would have asked what he was thinking, and corresponded until we were done negotiating or until the coin changed hands, whichever the case may be. >>

best answer I have read. Just counter the offer with what you will take.

I have been pleasantly surprised several times by placing an offer that I thought in no way would be accepted. I now do that all the time. The seller who just shuts me down on a B/O, is not one I return to if I remember that harshness. There have been several instances where I passed on the sellers final offer. Then later like a month or so , came across the item again, still not sold and offer below sellers final offer, not so much as to be insulting, and guess what, we had a deal! There has been an occasion or two I have also returned and agreed to the sellers final offer when he wouldn't budge anymore.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Sounds like he's just trying to test the waters and get a negotiation started. Heck, sometimes some people might accept that kind of an offer, never know......??? If it's not for you, pass, or either counter offer your dead minimum and if he can't meet it, simply pass and say thanks for your offer.

If you start at 500 and he counters at 300, you may come down to 400 and he may bite. If you started at 500 and he counters at 400, then you may want to counter again a little higher and he would have to pay more.

It's more of a psychological game for some people to get the best possible price. Kinda like Pawn Stars.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get involved if there was that much of a difference between the asking price and what the seller wanted.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    some people feel annoyed and insulted when they are offered just over 50% of thier asking price, while i understand that life is short but sometimes a person can shorten another's patience enough to warrant a pointed response, not everyone has 100 cheeks
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    I never fault a buyer for offering a lower price and here is an example that happened yesterday with me as the
    buyer making an offer on an item listed with $326 price...

Me: Would you accept $200 for the new Juan Gris book? Thank you.

Seller: yes, I will, I just changed the price thanks.

...you can't always tell what a seller will do; so no harm in being polite and making an offer.

• Options

<< <i>As a buyer, if I thought the coin was worth $300, and it was listed for $500, I would not have bothered with an offer.

As a seller, I would simply pass if someone offered me $300 on a coin I thought was worth $500.

Some differences are too far apart to try to bridge. >>

Beauty(value) is in the eye of the beholder. Just let it go and remember who made the offer for the next time.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I have occasionally gotten ridiculous offers and in a few few cases even accepted a few lowball offers. >>

if you don't ask, you'll never know.

no reason to be offended by it. (unless it is the same guy everyone has blocked)
    its a great way to get a deal.

often people list items as firm, non negotiable, etc, above what they would accept, knowing that an offer will come in.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file