Home U.S. Coin Forum

Million dollar coins

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

With a ton of input from experts Kevin Lipton, Laura Sperber, Jim Halperin and Greg Rohan, we have reviewed the prices for all the coins we include in our "Million Dollar Coin Club." Many prices are higher, and we've added some new "members" to the MDCC. The basic question, "Are million dollar coins worth more today than they were a year ago?" The expert consensus answer is, "Absolutely."

Check out the "Price Changes" section of the PCGS Price Guide for the complete list of changes. And you can check out the coins individually on PCGS CoinFacts as there are a few updates to the Condition Census, etc.

If all goes as planned, we'll have the 2011 version of the Million Dollar Coin Club brochure available at the FUN show and an even more detailed write-up on the PCGS website at about that time. There's now 209 coins we feel would bring a million bucks or more and the total value of the MDCC coins is now $525,515,000. We all feel the 1849 $20 in the Smithsonian is the most valuable U.S. coin and that it would bring at least $20,000,000 if it were ever auctioned (we had it at $15 million last January).

Very few people can afford to buy million dollar coins, but it sure is fun to think about them. We had a lot of fun with this project and hope you'll enjoy the updated version of the Million Dollar Coin Club when it comes out in two weeks.

Check out the price changes on the PCGS Price Guide.

hrh

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I am coin to give the PCGS Coin facts a try for 2011. It just looks to good not to. Dave can we do a package deal with a Platinum Collectors Club subscription adding 6 months of Coin Facts for free if we sign up by January 1st 2011? image
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same to you HRH and everyone else at PCGS...That would be a great goal to own one of the 209...image

ABimage
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas to you Mr. Hall. And those at PCGS too!

After I finish my box of 20, I'll start on your box of 209.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Well, at least I can keep my collection of "million dollar coin club brochures" up to date!

David,

What do you think would be the current top 3 of most expensive coins currently known to be in private hands?

Dennis
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    That is truely touching and makes me want to go stand in line at the mission and dish out food to the common man and those that can barely afford a meal or a bed during the cold Chistmas winter!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file