Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How broad do you cast your nets?

I got into high-gear buying coins for every coin interest I'm currently pursuing. It has really gotten out of hand. Here's what I'm working on:

- chopmarked San Francisco trade dollars (just finished, so now I can start upgrading image)
- US transition year type set (got most of the inexpensive coins)
- 20th century US type set
- Canadian type set
- Canadian silver dollars 1935-67 (only 2 to go)
- modern Canadian silver and nickel dollars
- Canadian large cents (only 4 to go)
- Philippines type set (just started)
- world 20 cent piece equivalents (1 to go)
- chopmarked type set

Only the chopmarked type set and some Canadian sets are left that include inexpensive coins. Everything else means forking out at least a couple hundred bucks a pop. That wouldn't be too bad if I had a dry spell like I've had up until a month ago, but all kinds of things are coming on the market that I've been looking for.

Is my pack-rat collecting style common? How do you purposely lose interest in some coins so you can get rid of them? Maybe I should work on my cars more. image
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    You could always put some of them in the back of your Pinto Wagon and hope someone rearends youimage

Dragon
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I have my main interests and my side sets I'm working on....

Primary
    20th Century Type Set (Circ Strike) 1 coin left after my 1917-P T1 arrives (MS64FH)
    1792-1964 Type Set (Long Way to go)

Secondary
    Proof Washington Qtrs, 1936-1964

Complete (But occaisional upgrades possible)
    1965-1967 SMS Set
    1950-Present Type Set (MS)
    1950-Present Type Set (PR)
    Ike Dollars (MS) Complete
    Ike Dollars (PR) Complete
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have sets that interest me most and other stuff that i dabble with to fill the slow spots when my searching seems to be pointlessly futile. right now i'm getting close to completion on a few sets so i guess that means that as the search success gets lower, i'll have to start collecting something else to fill the void!! what a never ending cycle!

al h.image
  • Options
    I am working on Early American silver coins -1820 & earlier.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    I also seem to have come down with a case of SADD (Set Attention Deficit Disorder), leading to serious complications with CEWS (Chronic Empty Wallet Syndrome). Too many good auctions, too many good coins, not enough time and (especially) $$$$$.

My illness currently manifests itself, variously, in the following symptoms:

1. Proof CAM/DCAM Jefferson Upgrades;
    2. Proof Brilliant Jefferson Additions;
    3. MS Buffaloes (both raw for my Dansco, and slabbed -- for a new Registry Set);
    4. [MYSTERY] nickels, which will be my next major Registry Set effort;
    5. Books, Cross-over Submissions, Futile Regrade Attempts, etc., secondary to the above

Sometimes it is really hard to focus, especially when you REALLY REALLY like all the series' you are working on.

"The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    I figure it is safer to cast a broad net when searching for coins, than it is for women.
    I am sure my wife of 30 years would agree.

I cannot seem to reign in my interests in coins. I tell myself that I will not branch out, then find a wonderful coin that I have to have even though it does not fit into my current interests. The next thing you know, I am working on a set.

This has happened over and over to me. While I still try to contain myself, I find that each time I stray it leads to more research and therefore a broader knowledge of the coin world.

When the temptation to get a "new" coin hits, let yourself go, HOARD ALL YOU CAN, we only live once.

John

First Loves:
    U.S. Type Coin Collection 1797-2001
    Australian Commemoratives
    Modern U.S. Commemoratives

Photos
  • Options
    Thats not so uncommon. I started with the State Quarters because my wife got me the books knoing I used to collect and had not gotten back into it. I then decided to get into all of the Washingtons. I always loved the Franklins, so I started a set of those. Things were slow so I started a Roosevelt Dime set. I was finding myself with a lot of choice odd coins so I started a 20th Century Type set. I had so many nickels left I decided to buy a Jefferson book and started that set, although its a sleeper for me and not very active. Then I have my only original set from back in the 80's that I have left, the Silver Eagles. SO my list goes like yours in a way.

Washington Quarters Set (80% Complete Need a lot of 30's dates and some 40's dates)
    Roosevelt Dimes Set (Now Complete to Date)
    Silver Eagles Set (Now Complete to Date)
    Franklin Halfs (Includes Proofs)
    20th Century Type (Only need a Type 1 Standing Lib Quarter and Barber Half)
    Jefferson Nickel (Need Many)
  • Options
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I cannot decide which one to work on next. Sets I am working on include:

All circulation strike $1 (1900-Present) Almost finished except for some Morgans and Peace.

1792-1964 Type Set. long way to go

BTW Commemoratives. long way to go

Washington/Carver Commemoratives. long way to go
    Jackie

Collecting Dollars
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a place for people suffering from SADD can go to get help?

If you look at the redbook pages 68 and 262 you'll see part of what I collect. I think my aim is to own it allimage

There are times when I'll make a list of coins to buy or at least look for when I go shopping, then I'll end up with something completely different. Then it starts all over again, a new set to work on!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    You could always put some of them in the back of your Pinto Wagon and hope someone rearends you

It's an AMC Pacer wagon, and you know it! I'll race your Gremlin any day of the week! image

The funny thing is that I started "secondary sets" to work on while I looked for the few rare coins I needed to complete a year set. So while looking for a rare trade dollar variety and some rare gold I bought some Canadian dollars here, some US type coins there, and other stuff (including US Mint medals). By the time I found the trade dollar I was looking for my Canadian dollar set was mostly finished and I'd branched out to other sets. When the rare gold coin I wanted finally came up for auction, I had to decide between spending $9,000 on a single coin or continuing my other collections for a year or two. I chose the latter.

BTW, if anyone has a Romanian 1876 1 leu to sell, I'll buy it and finally finish my 20 cent piece equivalent collection.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I only collect one set if you define it by filling every coin series album.

Seriously, i have found almost every whitman & harris album there is-- and i will fill them all. (so far, i've filled lincs, rosies, i think jeff nicks, the latter years washingtons, and maybe one more. . . . . )
    Then i'm working on proof sets
    and my odd denom type set.
    But the silver comems are getting my attention. . . . .

There ought to be a vaccine for this hobby.

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    Coin collection goals

US business strike dollars 1878 to present in the best condition that I can afford (actually two sets, raw & PCGS certs) When these sets are finished I plan to expand to include Trade & Bust dollars

Franklin halves

State proof & uncirculated quarters - my neices can afford this series and it gives us something to do together

US & foriegn coins that in some way have a ship on them (try finding them with an ebay search with out a specific coin in mind)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file