Home Precious Metals
Options

Watch out for double ATM fees

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
At the risk of being off-topic, this weekend's Tribune had a story that people with Chase debit cards who use those cards at a non-Chase ATM machines were not only being changed the fee charged by the "alien" ATM machine (typically $3), but also a $2 fee by Chase for using the "alien" machine. Thus, a $20 withdrawal could cost $5 in fees.
Beware!!!
TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TD, Dont quote me, but I think a few banks are doing that. As at matter of fact, my bank was doing it to me before I switched banks.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not news, been going on at most all the big banks for at least 15 years.

I always make it count at an atm that isn't 'mine'. $100 minimum.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I found that out earlier this summer. I went to an air show and got hungry and thirsty. Having not much cash, I went to use an atm there. After seeing the $5 fee, I decided I wasn't that hungry.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    debit cards reduce the banks overhead. Why aren't they paying us a fee?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    The banks are NOT loaning $$ out so they fee ing every chance they get. My bank now Wells Fargo had a teller job posted.

I asked about it. The bank manager told me. The associates at the counter are labeled as sales persons now.

You must sell services to hold that job!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 64 I have yet to have one of those darn blasted thingys. Don't have a PIN
    number in my life yet, for anything. Just carry cash in an amount to cover what
    you want. If that doesn't work and they don't take credit cards then I'm plumb
    out of luck.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that if you had a PIN number, it would be in Roman Numerals??????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    IMHO, Cash is King. With cash one will not spend more than they have. If someone that wants to steal
    your money the thief runs the risk of being injured or losing there life to get it.

With Debit Cards thieves can steal your cash in all kinds of new and imaginative ways. False scanners over the top
    of real ones that collect the data. Miniature cameras above the key pad where you input your PIN. And now the thieves do
    not even have to retrieve the equipment to get the information.

Credit cards same as above plus employees at restaurant's and other retail establishments with hand held scanners
    steal the card information and transmit it to associates who can run the card to the max before you are aware
    the information has been stolen.

Just My Humble Opinion
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    My bank refunds all ATM fees charged by "foreign" ATMs. Maybe you guys need new banks.
    Zach
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad i dont use the atm cards. cash or charge thank you