Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 submission update

Well, now I'm really confused. The second half of my submission popped up on the board today and it was a complete reversal from the 1st one.80% 9's with a few 8's. Even a 10 on an SSPC Garvey. The only cards that didnt grade 8 or better were some 1970 Kelloggs that I really wasnt to sure about and I was right they basically 7'd with 1-8 and 1-6. I only sent in 7 or 8. The 1969 Al Weis and Art Shamsky cards did grade 9. There SUPER tough to find nice and it may be a long time if any others are ever found in 9. These cards were in GAI 9 holders and they were cracked out and resubmitted. In fact out of the 3-9's and 1-8 in this group I cracked out they all came back with the same grade. So now what happened here? 2 different graders? I just dont know. I'm thrilled with my grades. Just about every 1976 cards got a 9. Most of the 1969's did too. There were 4 other cards that were POP 1 that are now either POP 2 or 3 as in 3 cases both cards submitted received 9's. I just dont understand.

Comments

• Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631
    Bob,

Congrats on the Weis and Shamsky 9's. I had a similiar experience during the 70s special. I sent in a bunch of really sharp 70's expecting some 9's and they came back all 7's and 8's. The next submission, I didn't think the cards were as quite as nice as the first batch, but they came back split 8's and 9's. I'm guessing it's a different grader on a different day of the week...

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    gaspipe - besides Weis and Shamsky, who were the other 4 who are no longer POP 1 in PSA 9?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Nick,
    #275 Vic Davalillo,#637 Padres Rookies,#654 White Sox Rookies, and #214 Checklist.
  • Options
    Nick,
    The Weis and the Shamsky are POP 1's now, they were 0's.
  • Options
    Bob,

Congratulations on the Shamsky and Weis. Those are indeed very difficult cards to find in high grade.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Bob,

Congratulations on your latest submission.

I have a feeling that the Pop Report does not include your latest submission results as I have the Davalillo and White Sox Rookies in 9. Usually the on-line grading results are ahead of the Pop Report results. Still, Pop 2 cards are in high demand, so you still have something to be very proud of.
  • Options
    That's what really frustrates me. The grades shouldn't depend on the day of the week they're graded. Variability is unavoidable but to have such wide swings in the results is crazy. I've been seeing the same thing. I wish I could afford to submit every card twice. My PSA 8+ hit rate would go through the roof.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Dan,
    The White Sox Rookie I received 2-9's. The Davalillo 1-9. I know the POP report is updated because it shows the Weis and the Shamsky which were POP 0's Tuesday.
  • Options
    Guys,

Here's my latest from PSA graded yesterday. It does appear that these grades are much more in line from what I expected compared to my '60's Grading Special submissions.

1969 TOPPS 102 JIM DAVENPORT -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 206 PHILLIES ROOKIES L.HISLE/B.LERSCH -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 227 FRANK JOHNSON -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 236 MANNY MOTA -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 238 KEN JOHNSON -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 259 BILL SHORT -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 272 ED STROUD -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 280 ALEX JOHNSON -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 284 EXPOS ROOKIE STARS J.ROBERTSON, M.WEGENER -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 285 DON MINCHER -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 322 JOSE VIDAL -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 350 RICHIE ALLEN -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 352 PAUL SCHAAL -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 366 BO BELINSKY -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 385 ORLANDO CEPEDA -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 419 ROD CAREW ALL STAR -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 471 TED SAVAGE -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 496 LARRY JASTER -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 507 COOKIE ROJAS -- 8
    1969 TOPPS 595 LEE MAYE -- 9
    1969 TOPPS 645 GEORGE BRUNET -- 9
  • Options
    Congratulations Dude! The Mota is tough even in 8! This group will fit very nicely in your premium set! Amazing cards they are!
    Sorry I will miss you guys at the Nationals this year. Think AC in 2003!
    Happy Hunting.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    You guys heard that Lee Maye died yesterday, right?

Lee Maye Obituary Article
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Although very sick, he was happy to hear and honored that Gaspipe had managed to accumulate 500+ of his 1969 Topps card in Mint condition!

RIP Lee and condolences to the Maye family.
    One of our cardboard hero has passed.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Dude,

Congratulations! Especially on that Bo Belinsky. The Lee Maye passing is very sad. I never realized that he was such a productive singer.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Good job Dude. Did the serial numbers start with 1, 3 or 9? I don't know if the beginning serial number is attached to a specific grader but I'm trying to determine if there is a correlation between the first digit in the serial number and harshly graded invoices. My problematic invoice was slabbed in the 9... series.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    69Topps8,

Mine started with 9. I once asked a former grader if the serial number was tied to a specific grader and he said no.