Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would someone please explain how dies are polished?

MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
I'm curious as to the method used for die polishing. Do any of you mint process experts know how, precisely, this is done? By hand? By tool? Both? What tool is used? Is it a one-step or two-step process? How has this process changed over time?

Any pertinent details would be appreciated & thanks in advance...Mike
Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by die polish lines, I would have to assume it's as simple as using a rag/cloth of some sort and a lot of elbow grease. I'm not sure if an actual abrasive polish is used, too.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think some sort of wire brush.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...the coins with the polish lines do appear to be done with a wire wheel of sorts. jmo

roger may know this. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a related question - are the dies polished when they are hot or cold? I would expect that the polish effects are different given the temperature of the die when it was being worked over.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that each die would need a different amount of polishing and type of polishing based on what problem it had.
    I'm wondering if each press operator had his own ways of cleaning up a die while it was still in the press.
    We need an old time press operator on the forum.
    Larry

• Options
    My "guess" is that it is a hand held tool that has an end like a pin. It's then scratched back and forth. "file lines" are left via different pressures used during this process. For polishing a die, I would think an operator with more expertise could prep the area to look like this with the tool.

Again, just a guess.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a show on TV about the mint a few years ago. They showed a gal, at the mint, using a die grinder with a poshing wheel and polishing compond doing the mirror finish on a proof eagle coin. She stayed away from the satin areas and only did worked on the mirror.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a show on TV about the mint a few years ago. They showed a gal, at the mint, using a die grinder with a polishing wheel and polishing compound doing the mirror finish on a proof eagle coin. She stayed away from the satin areas and only did worked on the mirror. >>

The frosted surfaces of a proof die are incuse, so as long as a worker is careful to maintain a level application of the polishing media, only the flat surfaces of the die that represent the fields on a struck coin will be affected. The Mint workers most likely use a pneumatic orbital polisher with a cloth fiber buffing pad that works a liquid microfine silica based polishing compound over the mirrored surfaces. Much in the same way that a painted surface of an automobile is given its final treatment before application of a sealant.

For the geeky numismatists here like me, this is an interesting paper I located on the subject of the troublesome anomaly of bluing in the process of striking proof silver coins. Note the mention of the usage of diamond paste in the die polishing process.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the use of oil is a part of the die polishing process, the reason behind filled dies and missing details on Jefferson nickels. The evidence of polishing can be raised lines or highly smoothed areas in the fields. The science of metallurgy could also provide some answers. Metal added or moved to repair a fine crack in a die. There may be a number of tools used depending on what's being repaired. Also, a pointed tool can be used to recut a die, something I've seen with Jefferson nickels and find very fascinating.

More importantly, why do you ask?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I worked at a private mint for a couple of years and we used a diamond compound for the high polish and sand blast for the matte/uncirculted items.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The meaning of polishing dies for proof and buss strikes is totally different.
    They use fine compounds for proof dies. For buss strikes sometimes it looks like they get brutal.

Notice the polish lines on these cents, the one that still has designers initials and the other one where they almost took the initials off. I don't know if it's a tool or brush or emery paper but it's pretty rough.

Ed
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Interesting paper. What the authors are really saying is that blanks should be treated with nitric acid before striking -- which is what the US mint did for decades for gold and silver blanks.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many coins with them, appear to be polished with a soft buffing wheel, but I'm guessing. Great questions are always my favorite part of this place, as they often show my ignorance and hopefully entertain a few along the path of life.
  • Options
    I think you are really asking several questions:

1. How were dies polished to produce mirror proof coins?
    2. How were dies repaired?
    2a. How were dies resurfaced to hide repair or as part of repair?
    2b. How were local repairs made to dies (without resurfacing)?
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    This topic has been discussed untold times since the start of the Forums. Here's one:

Remember that dies were "polished" at different times in the life of the die using different methods for different effects.

A brand new Morgan die was held against a slightly concave zinc disc that rotated. This "basined" the die, giving it a slightly convex shape that helped the center of the coin strike up better. The basining disc used at New Orleans was not concave enough, which is why O-mint dollars look flatter overall and are often poorly struck above the ear.

The basining also gave the new die its Proof-like fields that were imparted to the coins during the strike. Eventually die erosion removed that P-L finish. Apparently San Francisco rebasined its dies in the 1879-1882 period, which is why so many S-mint dollars of this period have great luster.

When a die was in use, it could get dirty with some of the details or lettering filled in and therefore missing on the coins struck from the die. This was unacceptable, and so a press operator could, at his discretion, "polish" the die with an emery stick or a wire brush or whatever he thought worked to remove the dirt. This could cause random die polishing lines.

Occasionally dies clashed together, and received transfer images from the opposing die. Often this was ignored, but if it was severe a press operator could take the die out of the press and over to a work bench where various grinders and polishing wheels were available. This "repolishing" could result in such things as the 1922 "No D" cent or the 1937-D "3-legged" nickel, though the results were usually less severe.

Hope this helps.

TD

Courtesy of CaptHenway

Do a search using "lapping" & "polishing" from 2001 to present. The results will exhaust you.image
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Available information has changed since most of the posts and comments were made. That’s partially why the more specific breakdown. There’ll be a research article in the future.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

<< <i> There’ll be a research article in the future. >>

• Options

<< <i>More importantly, why do you ask? >>

Because I've heard a lot of theories, but little definitive, on this topic. That, and it was the topic of discussion on another forum I frequent.
  • Options
    p.s. thanks to those who have taken the time to respond. I appreciate it. image
  • Options

<< <i>I think you are really asking several questions:

1. How were dies polished to produce mirror proof coins?
    2. How were dies repaired?
    2a. How were dies resurfaced to hide repair or as part of repair?
    2b. How were local repairs made to dies (without resurfacing)? >>

Really, I was interested in business struck coins such as the '55 DDO that Rick posted in another thread.

Or a coin like this Walker:

• Options
    These are subject 2b.

It takes much more space than these boards have to describe how it was done from about 1850-1950. Also, some techniques have changed a lot and others are the same now.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    Is there any way to find documentation from the US mint about their procedures for die polishing?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Is there any way to find documentation from the US mint about their procedures for die polishing?

Other than knowing a die shop employee or engraver (for current processes) or digging through hundreds of thousand of unorganized archive documents, no.... Most hobby publications have some elements of accuracy and others that are just guesses.

Usually, I'd post some sort of summary in hopes it would be useful, but this subject is confusing and requires more explanation than can be done here. (There are also aspects that need to be explored more before publishing anything.)

I’m certain the modern private mint folks can help with current methodology.
  • Options
    There is one account of how dies were polished and prepared, written by George Eckfeldt, chief coiner for the Medal Dept. at the Philadelphia Mint in the 1850's. He even describes how he formulated the ingredients to frost the raised portions on the die!

This has not been published at this point, but the person who purchased the original document (from QDB) several years ago does plan on releasing this in printed form in due time (no exact date has been set).

I have a copy of what Eckfeldt wrote, and Dave Bowers wrote about this discovery (for which he paid $1804 dollars) in an issue of Rare Coin Review about 8-9 years ago (not sure of the exact issue).

Eckfeldt also mentions when the Gobrecht dollars were restruck in 1851, etc. It's a neat insight. Sorry, but I'm not at liberty to discuss the contents.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>More importantly, why do you ask? >>

Because I've heard a lot of theories, but little definitive, on this topic. That, and it was the topic of discussion on another forum I frequent. >>

I just think any kind of DP is an inferior surface to original surfaces of a coin. While excessive DP can give a coin a most desireable PL appearance, it's not original. Not that I don't care for PL coins, I do think there are other ways coins get PL surfaces. An EDS strike in one of them.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file