Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any thoughts on machines to sort 95% copper cents from circulation?

Many of us know and have read threads about the intrinsic value of 95% copper cents (currently 2.4 cents of copper in one pre-1982 cent), but I did not realize that there were machines out there to do the sorting. Anyone heard of this or has insight on an affordable machine? I just stumbled up on a page (see link below) of two machines. The top one looks like it is more of a hassle than anything, and the bottom one looks professional but expensive in my opinion:

Copper cent sorting equipment

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ryesdale is a winner if you are serious.

I'm still struggling with rolling and ditching the zincs though...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Machines take all the fun out of sorting through the cents and looking for wheats, very occasional Indians, older Canadians etc. My kids and I search through about 3-4 boxes of cents a week lately. Last week got a '12-D, a better date coin.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Machines take all the fun out of sorting through the cents and looking for wheats, very occasional Indians, older Canadians etc. My kids and I search through about 3-4 boxes of cents a week lately. Last week got a '12-D, a better date coin. >>

Very true, but it would still be fun to look for those great coins in a bucket you know is already at least copper. I have been off and on roll searching too and separating the coppers and cannot justify $500 for the fancy machine. But I am interested in a more economical version if it works. Not a bad winter time project if you ask me.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Machines take all the fun out of sorting through the cents and looking for wheats, very occasional Indians, older Canadians etc. My kids and I search through about 3-4 boxes of cents a week lately. Last week got a '12-D, a better date coin. >>

...i agree with you, Saor. why take all the fun away? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Sorting through hoards of coins can be very fun
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    laws

Best bone up on the current laws & regulations of US coins.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>laws

Best bone up on the current laws & regulations of US coins. >>

Well that prevents China from backing up barges in our ports to buy our copper at a discount! I am talking more of the hoarding/collecting aspect of it and the trading of copper cents as bullion. There have been some recent sells of copper cents as a bullion item on Ebay. These prices include the buyer paying shipping, and of course the various fees to the seller both on eBay and from the sorting of these coins. But it looked like there were real transactions of $97.50 face for $156, $50 for $76, and $10 for $30. Reading on the realcent.org forum, there is albeit a very small market, but indeed quite a few hoarders and a few moving their money. It just seems like a fun winter time project with nothing to lose except the time value of money and personal sweat. Certainly not a way to make a a viable profit, but interesting that there is a small market at least.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    A little over a year ago i sold about 30, $50 dollar bags for 100 bucks. They are down now. I was picking the bags up sorted for $55 a bag. My wife has probably sorted over 100,000 copper cents now. They just weigh the safe down.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>A little over a year ago i sold about 30, $50 dollar bags for 100 bucks. They are down now. I was picking the bags up sorted for $55 a bag. My wife has probably sorted over 100,000 copper cents now. They just weigh the safe down. >>

Wow that is impressive on all accounts, good for you. I wasn't old enough for the days when silver could be plucked from change, and wheaties were abundant. So pre-1982 may be small now, but I do view it as the circulation pluck for recent generations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file