Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best techniques for paper money photography

I have seen many threads regarding coin photography. But I am curious about paper money? Is one type of light better than others? Flash, or no flash? Any other tips and suggestions on what works best?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Forget taking a pic. The only way to do it is by a scanner.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I'll second that. I also collect stamps (well, covers) and forget taking pics, scanner is the only way to go.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may get more responses on the Currency Forum. Use the the Navigation drop down menu.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Scanners do a perfect job....keep it simple image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on the scanner comments.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    And they're handy for making news copies too! image
  • Options
    For paper currency a scanner is the best. As far as any technique, make sure you place something like a black sheet of paper on top of the note (as background). The black cover prevents seeing-scanning through the note, so you will get a sharp pic of one side. If you do not use a black background you will end up with a pic something like you see here when someone overlays the reverse of a coin on top of the obverse to show how a die clash may look. Yes, I collect both coins and currency. Good pics of currency is easy, getting good pics of coins takes a lot of skill which I'm slowly learning, along with good equipment.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    Thanks for the info regarding scanners. Since I do not have one, any tips on paper would be great.

thanks
  • Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    I scan all my notes using the default settings on my scanner, except for changing the sharpness to high, and the resolution to 300 dpi. I center the notes and then crop them to 1000 pixel width. Resolutions of 600 and higher are usually unnecessary -- they can get grainy, not to mention the larger file size. Word of caution -- many scanners will no longer scan currency, so shop around and do your research.

Here is how my scans come out:

Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    Scanners work great for me.

Feel free to see our growing galleries for some examples.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file