Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wanting any and all information you guys may have on Three Cent Feuchtwangers

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a general shout out....HEY. there...I shouted.

I am looking for any snippets of information, any old publications, auction catalogs, anything...anything....on 3 C Feuchtwangers.

Im getting ready to formulate the website, and the active search for info has officially begun. Please PM me with any leads. Scans, date and month of any old numismatic publications, etc etc....anything is good.

Please help the cause here, if you can.

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't checked, but I bet the Ford auction catalogs had some good information about Feuchtwangers.
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    I assume you've already scrounged the ANA online library?

http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ExploretheWorldofMoney/Library/default.htm

Edited: Well, this is all I got:

Author: Koutsoures, James Theodore.
    Title Statement: The identification of the Feuchtwanger cents, Low 120. *
    Published: Des Plaines, Koutsoures, 1981.
    Description: 12p. ill. 26cm.
    Subject: U.S.--TOKENS
    Subject: HARD TIMES TOKENS
    Title Added Entry: Low, Lyman
    Call Number: PA73.K6
    Copy 3: Available for Circulation
    Copy 5: Available for Circulation
    Copy 6: Available for Circulation
    A follow up to my earlier post -

Check The John J. Ford Collection, Part IV (Stack's, June 23, 2004). Beginning with lot 208, you will find "The Dr. Lewis Feuchtwanger Token Series - The Most Extensive Offering in Auction History". It extends to lot 260 (although a few other Hard Times Tokens are scattered within the section).
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Member CoinJP already has a website dedicated to Feuchtwanger Cents.

An Online Guide: Feuchtwanger Cents
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    From the PCGS Library -

PCGS to Grade and Authenticate Feuchtwanger Coinage

Bruce Amspacher - February 14, 2000

The privately issued coins of Dr. Lewis Feuchtwanger are now being graded and authenticated by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). The coins were struck in 1837 from a composition that is known today as "German silver." Dr. Feuchtwanger issued both one-cent and three-cent denominations, and the coins circulated heavily during the "Hard Times" period of 1837-44 and continued in circulation through the Civil War.

German silver was Dr. Feuchtwanger's own amalgam of copper, nickel, zinc, tin and other trace metals. He proposed this synthesis of metals as a solution to the Mint's excessive cost of producing one-cent coinage. While the idea was never accepted, it was considered once again the early 1850s before being abandoned by Mint officials.

Although Feuchtwanger cents and three-cent pieces are not official Mint issues, they are considered part of the cent series by some collectors, as tokens by some other collectors, and even as Colonial pieces in some instances.

"There has been increased demand for the authentication and grading of this series," said PCGS president Richard Montgomery. "We are pleased to add these coins to our list in order to serve our customers better."
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one cent pieces are well documented, befitting their perhaps one million mintage....but its those pesky three cent tokens....scarce then, scarce now, in hand as well as through information.

I have ordered a small group of copies from the ANA library, which I think will have some information on the 3CFs.

The Ford catalog is obviously a good idea, and one I will follow up on.

I had emailed Dave Bowers some time ago and he suggested I buy 'more adventures with rare coins' which I finally got around to doing tonight. I had hoped there would be a copy available at Philadelphia..but such was not the case.

The 1913 ANA magazine has a great article, but again, short on 3C info....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file