Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1994 Collectors Choice Jeter White and Gray letter variation ?

Hi - Anyone know what is the difference? I believe it is the back D on Derek? Supposed to be Gray?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the card that I have from BBCE. Thanks Steve!

I am guessing I have the white letter variation?

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've never seen any other version than the white letter version though.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I think the "white letter" variation is actually the correct card.

In all honesty, my guess to how these variations came to be:

Cards intended for silver signature parallels were accidentally silver powder coated, but not silver signature foiled. Some powder coated on both, some on only the back.

Much the same way cards from the "Up Close and Personal" subset were done, some escaping without powder coats or foil, thus looking white bordered...some accidently being signature foiled on base, non-powder coated cards, etc:

The base should look like this:

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Strange I have never seen the gray variation. It is why I am asking. Does the version exist?
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    looks like one has been graded...

1994 Collector's Choice Silver Signature White Letter Variation
    Player # 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 3.5 4.0 4.5 5.0 5.5 6.0 6.5 7.0 7.5 8.0 8.5 9.0 9.5 10 Total
    Derek Jeter 644 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1

pretty sure the "white letter" is the error on the silver sigs (that are gray),,,

not sure if that is what bull was saying or not...

although, I could be wrong....

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I didn't know that the error card was actually the silver sig with white lettering, but yes, I was trying to say the card he has is the correct version.

To clarify what I was saying earlier, it appears the silver and gold signature parallels were given a powder coating of the respective color, over a white background. For the Jeter card, the letters were already white, so a simple powder coat was overlaid and a the silver foiling placed for the silver signature parallel. Some of the silver sigs must have skipped the powder coat and were only given the silver foil facsimile signature.

For the "Up Close and Personal" subset, they actually printed copies with white lower borders in order to then powder coat them. Some left the factory without any of the attributes of a silver or gold signature parallel, and, subsequently, the white border variation was born. There are also rumored to be tan versions of the "UCAP" cards, possibly the actual base color for the gold parallels.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Or this could be some scheme an ebay seller came up with to try and sell the card?

I remember 2-3 years ago someone was trying to sell a "White Letter" variation for a couple hundred dollars it never sold. I remember looking at other auctions for other cards on auctions and they all had the white letter D. From time to time I search the 94 choice cards for a gray D. I have never seen one. Could this all be just a hoax?

I found this link on ebay and it appears Beckett has a flip with the white lettering written on it.

If someone has a gray D please post it. I would love to see it.