Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a fair asking price for a Dansco BU set of Kennedy Halves?

I came across one in my housecleaning. It is clearly BU, from 64 through 2005, no proofs. Any ideas? I was hoping sell it in the Phila show tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I have seen them sell at auction for $125 to $150 without any proofs. I think the minimum would be $100.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen them sell at auction for $125 to $150 without any proofs. I think the minimum would be $100. >>

I would hope that would be the min. it's almost face value not even counting the cost of the album.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen them sell at auction for $125 to $150 without any proofs. I think the minimum would be $100. >>

I would hope that would be the min. it's almost face value not even counting the cost of the album. >>

Excluding Proofs and Satin Finish, I only count $38.50 face.

Exclude the 1776-1976-S in Silver and you get down to $38.00.

The album is worth nearly $30.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭
    The album is nice, actually. Correct, 38.00 face.

So if I ask 125, that wouldn't be a crazy number?
  • Options

<< <i>The album is nice, actually. Correct, 38.00 face.

So if I ask 125, that wouldn't be a crazy number? >>

You can ask, but look at it this way. If a bulky item sells for $125 to $150 retail, what kind of dealer is going to give you $125 wholesale, unless he owes you a big favor?

Unfortunately, I am guessing you find little interest from most dealers, and low ball offers from the few that show any interest. $38 in face value plus a percentage of silver value for the early coins and that would be about what I might expect as far as likely dealer offers.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately, I am guessing you find little interest from most dealers, and low ball offers from the few that show any interest. $38 in face value plus a percentage of silver value for the early coins and that would be about what I might expect as far as likely dealer offers. >>

Agreed.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I have had a few dealers tell me they can't move Kennedy sets. So some have not even offered a price.
    Best bet is to try to retail it for $150. The set is not complete through 2010 so maybe accept $125 and be done with it.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys have got to be kidding.

It's got $34.50 worth of silver in it.
    It has 11 coins worth around $3 and one that's $5.
    It has $30 face.
    and it has the '70-D that's worth at least $14 if it's decent.

That's $116.50 wholesale.

There's always someone paying wholesale.

If the coins are nice and the collector took any care searching nice specimens it could bring much more.

I can't imagine it bringing under $125 on eBay.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys have got to be kidding.

It has $30 face.

If the coins are nice and the collector took any care searching nice specimens it could bring much more.

I can't imagine it bringing under $125 on eBay. >>

If the dates to 2010 were added, it might. Without them, probably not especially if the album does not have pages for them.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>

If the dates to 2010 were added, it might. Without them, probably not especially if the album does not have pages for them. >>

This is true. You need the newest model Dansco to make a complete run up to 2010 and beyond. 2011 is right around the corner and you may need to add the 2011 coins before the set sells for the price you want.
    This is hypothetical and not about the OP. Anyway to continue on this thought, I have one set of nice coins hand picked for several years in a new Dansco complete with the 2010 coins. No proofs. Not for sale but just saying for the time and money put into it I would not take less than $200. Without proofs.
    Your 1970D is a tough coin. Your 1987 P and D are tough. Others like the 1983 and 1984 are hard to find in MS shape. I had a hard time getting nice 1986 P and D coins.
    So again, for the set up to 2005 like the OP has I think $150 or $125 is the ballpark figure.
    Again, I have seen them sell for that at auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys have got to be kidding.

It has $30 face.

I can't imagine it bringing under $125 on eBay. >>

So lets say that $125 is low retail on Ebay. $125 means about $108 net after Ebay and Paypal fees. If free shipping is offered and the hammer is $125 that might only be $95 net for the Ebay seller. On the wholesale level 40% silver halves almost always trade well back of their melt value. If a person is a new seller, with typical new seller photos, they may not get low retail value. An album coin may or may not be really BU. Even if it is, it will take some care and some time to preserve a nice coin when removing it from the album.

As for the show, a decent offer seems unlikely unless the buying dealer is a buddy of the seller. Here is why: for a bourse transaction there are 38 coins to handle, to take out of the album, possibly to walk over to the bank to deposit. How much is a dealer's time worth? Any dealer that flies to the Philly show will have zero interest in bringing a $100 value album home on the plane. How many local dealers will express interest? I don't know. I do know that most show dealers want to at least make back their table fees. If things are really slow a local dealer might take a look, but busy dealers are unlikely to volunteer their show time on such a project. Just counting the 38 coins, and making sure the right coins are in the right slots is a few minutes of time. Start taking the coins out, and then finding a buyer is more time.

The would be seller might be better off taking out the silver coins and getting the best bourse offer on them from a bullion oriented dealer, and then try to sell the 1970-D separate and deposit the rest, or offer the rest on BST in a roll or in the album. Time is worth something.
  • Options

<< <i>

So lets say that $125 is low retail on Ebay. $125 means about $108 net after Ebay and Paypal fees. If free shipping is offered and the hammer is $125 that might only be $95 net for the Ebay seller. On the wholesale level 40% silver halves almost always trade well back of their melt value. If a person is a new seller, with typical new seller photos, they may not get low retail value. An album coin may or may not be really BU. Even if it is, it will take some care and some time to preserve a nice coin when removing it from the album.

As for the show, a decent offer seems unlikely unless the buying dealer is a buddy of the seller. Here is why: for a bourse transaction there are 38 coins to handle, to take out of the album, possibly to walk over to the bank to deposit. How much is a dealer's time worth? Any dealer that flies to the Philly show will have zero interest in bringing a $100 value album home on the plane. How many local dealers will express interest? I don't know. I do know that most show dealers want to at least make back their table fees. If things are really slow a local dealer might take a look, but busy dealers are unlikely to volunteer their show time on such a project. Just counting the 38 coins, and making sure the right coins are in the right slots is a few minutes of time. Start taking the coins out, and then finding a buyer is more time.

The would be seller might be better off taking out the silver coins and getting the best bourse offer on them from a bullion oriented dealer, and then try to sell the 1970-D separate and deposit the rest, or offer the rest on BST in a roll or in the album. Time is worth something. >>

I know local B&M's don't sell a lot of moderns but I'd think that
    this set in the case at $175 isn't going to sit too long. Perhaps
    I'm wrong but there is some demand for such coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    COMPLETE KENNEDY HALF SET - 1964-2010 - IN DANSCO ALBUM

"INCLUDES ALL DATES AND MINTMARKS! 83 COINS IN ALL! NOW INCLUDES THE NEW 2010's! OWESOME COLLECTION!

Description: This auction comprises a complete set of Kennedy Half Dollars from 1964-2010. The set includes all 83 business (regular) strike Kennedy half dollars listed below.

This collection will be provided to you in the new heavy duty simulated leather Dansco #7166 Album as pictured. The most current edition, which includes the 5th page, will accommodate coins up to 2017. The Dansco album alone retails for $28."

Starting bid: US $99.99

Ended: Sep 19, 201018:33:12 PDT

Bid history: 0 bids

FWIW...

edited to add- there are a couple of similar sets that sold for about $130.00.
  • Options
    I recently sold the Kennedy set from 1964 to 1994 to a dealer who has a B&M store for $105 - it was at a large show and it was for his store's inventory. I had a hard time finding anyone who wanted them. There were no proofs. It has to be considered a wholesale transaction so maybe $125+ is reasonable.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options

<< <i>COMPLETE KENNEDY HALF SET - 1964-2010 - IN DANSCO ALBUM

"INCLUDES ALL DATES AND MINTMARKS! 83 COINS IN ALL! NOW INCLUDES THE NEW 2010's! OWESOME COLLECTION!

Description: This auction comprises a complete set of Kennedy Half Dollars from 1964-2010. The set includes all 83 business (regular) strike Kennedy half dollars listed below.

This collection will be provided to you in the new heavy duty simulated leather Dansco #7166 Album as pictured. The most current edition, which includes the 5th page, will accommodate coins up to 2017. The Dansco album alone retails for $28."

Starting bid: US $99.99

Ended: Sep 19, 201018:33:12 PDT

Bid history: 0 bids

FWIW...

edited to add- there are a couple of similar sets that sold for about $130.00. >>

This one is missing the '70-D, both '87's, and a lot of the '80's issues look AU.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i> for a bourse transaction there are 38 coins to handle, to take out of the album, possibly to walk over to the bank to deposit. Just counting the 38 coins, and making sure the right coins are in the right slots is a few minutes of time. >>

Where did this count of 38 coins come from? A complete set from 1964 to 2005 is way more than that, no?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> for a bourse transaction there are 38 coins to handle, to take out of the album, possibly to walk over to the bank to deposit. Just counting the 38 coins, and making sure the right coins are in the right slots is a few minutes of time. >>

Where did this count of 38 coins come from? A complete set from 1964 to 2005 is way more than that, no? >>

Oops my mistake, $38 in face value, 76 coins. Even more work for a bourse dealer for the same potential profit.
  • Options

<< <i>This one is missing the '70-D, both '87's, and a lot of the '80's issues look AU. >>

You're right. I was going by the title which is not accurate.

Another anecdote- I checked at the local shop one time about the possiblility of getting some used albums- were they ever available? The owner said "Come over here" and showed me a bookshelf with about four linear feet of Dansco albums- all used and empty. I asked where they all came from and was told he got them in over the counter purchases of collections. He would take the coins out of the albums, put the nicer BUs in tubes and use the rest for change in his register. When I asked why he didn't sell the sets complete, he said there was no demand.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I believe HJB has one in their window display. However, proofs are included. TD?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file