Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Favorite Card from your Favorite Registered Set

In 1969 I was 10 years old. As a pitcher in my local Little League growing up in New Jersey I was partial to the baseball cards of of my favorite major league pitchers (Seaver, Koosman, Gibson) of the day.
Although I was a Met fan and would experience the "Miracle" at the end of the 69" season; my 69' Topps cards were more a recap of great moments and great players from 1968.
Midway through 1968 I became entralled by the exploits, the winning ways, of the Detroit Tigers: especially Denny McLain. Putting aside the future story of his rise and fall, McLains 30 win season (30-6) in 1968 was,, and is to this day, the most remarkable single season achievement I have ever witnessed. It made a huge impact on me as a kid and I continue to think, 35 years later, that this may never happen again.

Therefore, Number 150 in the 1969 Topps set has always been my favorite card. I could relate to McLain, back then, because we both wore glasses on the mound. Not many major leaguers did. The 1969 Topps baseball cards were available very early in the year with those 68' season highlights still fresh in memory.

I am reminded of all this because, just this weekend, I finally won a PSA 8 Denny McLain card for my 69' set. To me, getting this particular card means a lot more than just one more step to completion.
I have been patient and have lost quite a few other auctions for this card in the last couple of years as not to overpay. As you experienced collectors know, however, this is a desirable card as well. The latest POP lists 11- 8's and only 1- 9. It is the most desirable McLain other than the 65' rookie or the 68'T. You must compete with other 69' collectors, Tiger team collectors (of which their are legions) especially 68' and 69', and record holder collectors. McLain is one of those "characters" in baseball history that stand out for good or for bad and in his case probably both. I choose to remember the good. That amazing 68' season; a snapshot memory from my youth.

Just wondering if there is a particular card that is your sentimental favorite from your Favorite Registered Set?

RayB69Topps
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    RayBShotz,

The Denny McClain card is a highly sought after card from the 1969 set. A PSA 9 example went for over $350 before last year's national. The #180 Willie Horton card is my favorite (and the PSA 8 example I have is very near a PSA 9; I believe that there is a SGC 96 graded version with a noticeable diamond cut out there somewhere). The closest cards to perfection in my 1969 set is the PSA 10 Bob Watson and PSA 10 Johnny Briggs.

In Michigan where I grew up, I remember walking by a clear glass case with about 10 to 12 absolutely beautiful 1969 Nolan Ryans during a show sometime in the late 70s. They appeared to be mint (to the untrained eye and before third-party grading) and I always strived to attain a mint Ryan since then. When the opportunity arised about 3 years ago, I had the option between a PSA 9 Ryan and a PSA 9 Reggie Jackson. I chose the Ryan because it was 50/50 both ways. However, the Jackson has since skyrocketed in comparison to the Ryan. Live and learn!

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    My favorite card of all time is the 1969 Ryan. I dont own a 9 at this time, but its still my favorite.
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    My favorite card growing up was the 1986 Topps Vince Coleman rookie. I was a huge Cardinals fan and that was the hottest card that year. I remember buying tons of packs in search of that card. I finally pulled the card after a little league game in a pack of cards I bought at the concession stand. It was like Christmas. I know this thread was about your registered set, but I would not attempt to put a set together from when I was a kid (mid to late 80's). There may be sentimental value, but not enough to slab a set of 1986 Topps cards.

Because there isn't much worth collecting from my younger days, I am working on the 1968 Topps set. My favorite card from that set is card #1, the league leader card with Clemente, Alou and Gonzalez. I bought it years ago at a flea market. It was my first card from the set and I am a Clemente collector. It wasn't in very good shape though so I upgraded it to a PSA 8.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Ray,

Great question. In every set I have a favorite or several.

In the '67 Set I like card #1: The Champs (Hank Bauer, Brooks and Frank Robinson). Only one "9" exists and unfortunately I don't have it. I have this in an 8. Honorable mention goes to #25 Elston Howard and #269 Don Nottebart (for the colorful Crosley Field backdrop and the wild Reds uniform). I have both in 9, but the Nottebart is diamond cut (just like all of his 9's).

In the '68 Set I like card #100: Bob Gibson. A great portrait of a pitcher who had a fantastic season in '68. I have this in a beautiful 9 example. Felipe Alou gets honorable mention and so does my Manny Sanguillen rookie (I have both in 10). Both cards are gems!

In the '69 Set, Johnny Bench's card (#95) is a classic especially with the Rookie AS Trophy an his youthful look. I always liked the '69 Mays card too. [I don't own either of these cards], so I guess the honor goes to my Jim Wynn PSA 10. Nice photo on superb card.

I like Nolan Ryan's card in the '70 set. Like the '69 Bench, he looks very young in the photo. I like the Pilots Team photo too. I have the Ryan and Pilots in 9 - both are in the last series.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am registered in a few sets (Rose, Schmidt, and HOF Player sets, and 1933 Goudey) so my favorite card from those sets is the 67 Rose. 1967 was a great issue, and also the year I was born. The 1979 Topps Rose is up there, because of how long it took me to find a PSA 9.

I almost mentioned a 1933 Goudey Ruth PSA 3 - I traded 5 Tiger Woods PSA 7 Masters cards 2 yrs ago to get it - I think they can be had now for about $9.99
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Darn you 1420!!!

Here I've been rattling my brain all day about which card I like the look of best. And just when I go to post it - I see you beat me to it!!!!

Overall, I love the 72 set. But, if I were just going for one card that really stikes me as what baseball cards are all about - it would be the 67 Rose. His stance - the uniform color and card color just seem to jump out at you. Just a real, real pretty card...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    yo FB - sorry but glad to see you are a fan of the card .... I have bought several Rose cards form you by the way - any more??
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Mine aren't the best examples, but these cards stand out for me:

1) 1962 Manager's Dream Mantle/Mays (with Aaron and Fenway's Green Monster in background). This was taken at the 61 All Star game--the last to end in a tie since this year. Special because my grandfather and father were in attendance and almost sitting at the same angle as the photographer of the card.

2) 1967 Tony Perez with the name visible on the old uniform and in batting stance. More of a close-up shot than the Rose card, his facial expression is clearer.

3) 1974 Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, and Carlton Fisk. All 3 are great game action shots of young Hall of Famers.

4) 1975 Luis Tiant. This "in action" shot is so close up, it's scary. The first pitcher whose windup and delivery every kid from Boston tried to imitate. Again, angle from our season ticket seats over 3rd base dugout. Incidentally, we moved to 1B side lowers in 1978 so I got a good look at the pop fly BF Dent hit 10/2/78. image

Obviously this list of both cards and Red Sox disasters could be endless...
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    I dont have the card and i am not in the registry but my favorite card is a 1969 Randy Hundliny card. He is in a Bright blue chest protector in a cubies uniform that just jumps out at you.

I have looked all over for this cards and cant seem to fibd it

tuneman
    Check out my site athttp://groups.msn.com/Tonytuneshouseofcards

Email me directly at tonytune@aol.com
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    I have always liked the 1971 Brooks Robby card.
    I also like the 61 Earnie banks card.

But my favorite is the 1972 Rod Carew!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Right now I'm mainly focusing on my "favorite player" sets (Bench, Tony Perez and Joe Morgan), so I'll keep my comments to just those 3 players:

Bench- It's a tie between the '73 and '76 Topps (both of which I have in a PSA 9), since they're both semi-action shots. I have always preferred these to the "boring" portrait cards.

Perez- I know he doesn't have a player set on the registry yet (but hopefully soon). My favorite would have to be the '77 Topps, where he seems to be swinging out of the card at you. I was lucky enough to pick one up yesterday in a PSA 9.

Morgan- Either the '71 Topps (don't have one yet) or the '79 (action pose) would be my favorites.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    BASEBALL

My first card out of a wax pack...And I still love it to this day. I wish I had it in a PSA 9 or 10!!!
  • Options
    BASKETBALL

The Doctor and his Afro sipping on some water.
  • Options
    FOOTBALL

Broadway Joe PRO ACTION... I only wish the 1972 set didn't airbrush out all the team logos.