Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Spouse: "Buck" Liberty to complete subset, now w/ pics.

Comments

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    7/8 you said to unload the gold buffalo coins within weeks of them going off sale at the mint, also to unload the proof plats. That was when prices were barely 20% higher at that point! The gold buffalo coins went higher from there 300% up to 1000% higher in price and you lost all of that. The gold buffalo prices would have to crash back almost to mint issue price for me to do as bad as that call, but let's not remember that.

So you folded em way too early, Kenny went home broke.image

BTW notice how Eric said 'it is possible" not "it is certain" The mint has apparently only short struck 1 spouse coin and that coin went about 11 months before it sold out, not a week like you think. If a sell out in a week happens chances are it goes at the max mintage because they have 11 more months of sales possible like others have agreed and can strike more and take backorders. 15,000 between the two unc and proof is about 6500 unc and 8500 proof or 6,300 and 8,800. Very low even for the maximum. Way over the Van Buren though, why I say it should end up being the lowest mintage of the four.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Half -

What were you smoking when you thought up that 1000% percent jump? Interesting. The ONLY coin within the Buffalo Gold to even see those type numbers if you caught the eurphoria spike was the tenths and only in PR70 DCAM and MS70 FS.

Everything else was within the 300-500% range, as an average, many of us gladly took advantage of those levels. Depending on the quantity you hold, you probably should have too....

Right now, the market is VERY SOFT for Buffalo Gold, with even tenths bringing numbers maybe touching the top end of my previous mentioned range. Otherwise, you are in the 300% area.

As your unrealized annualized return keeps dropping on your holdings, the rest of us have moved on. Good luck with that.

7/8

• Options
    I said >>>up to<<< 1000% and it was the regular PR70 1/10 proofs that hit that. You must not have been following retail very closely or forgot what happened

The 1/4 are still over 400%, even raw and not sure what you expect to see with those but you said a long time ago they were too high at under $1000 and went on to double from that. Demand will not drop on those as the have the buffalo nickel collectors and have low mintages, not worried about those.

The plat unc are still sleeping though, are you still sitting on those? Remember when we talked about what would do better, the proof or the unc? So far the proof seem to be winning.

PS Let's see who is right about the next Liberty spouse, should be interesting.

• Options
    How convenient of you to clear up it was only ONE coin/denom in the series, and only ONE finish that you referred to by the 1000% comment.

As a reader of your text, it wasn't very clear, I wondered what you were smoking when you saw the whole series ride from 300% up to 1000%.

Buffalo gold has turned primarily into a BIN market on the bay, where sellers are quoting prices they "WISH" to get....

keep "WISHING" image

we have seen the high water mark for a while in the Buffalo Gold.

By the way - on the 08w 1/4 plat unc's, I dont know how a 250% to 300% profit is bad????

• Options
    Those unc w plats have finally warmed up a bit after being ice cold for a l>o>n>g time, and trying to compare them to gold buffalo is like apples to oranges.

Talking about BINS, the unc w plats are all bins and you must see that, so it is the same for all of them. If people want the coin they will pay the bin price, no matter it still sold.

BTW I would love to see the unc w plats skyrocket in price, the question all along was would they and so far it is a big No. They haven't even matched proof plats, much less the gold buffalo.

Now with the Julia Tyler having a mintage nearly as low as the unc w plats, the question is which is the better buy, the spouse gold or the plat unc w?

The Julia only has two options, proof and unc in $10 denomination.

The plat unc w has 8 options, $10, $25, $50 and $100 in both unc and proof. It will take 4 times more plat collectors than gold collectors to move those coins.image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the gold is gorgeous...but the bronze will complete "my" subset
  • Options
    Half -

Not necessarily-as to 4x as many plat collectors, many plat collectors focus on one denomination - like 1/4's and 1/2's being popular, and 08w being the lowest mintage of their respective denominations.

They will wake up, just a question of when.

As for the Spouse Gold, I like the Liberty subset, but not the regular issue gold spouses. Dont care what the numbers are on those. As far as i'm concerned, the Julia and Letitia are a play by flippers and that's it - no real interest by the collecting community.

• Options
    Let's add up the mintages for your favorite, 08 w unc plats.

$10 +$25+$50+$100 = 11,306 coins.

$10 Julia unc...............= 2861 coins.

it is easy to see it takes way less collectors to move the Julia over the long haul as there is only 1 coin size to move. The plats need a lot more people to get that many coins to move, but maybe it happens. it should given enough time, but not yet.

Toss in the regular bullion 08 plats and it gets worse than this, that is why I think this is an interesting test to see how the 4 coin sets affect the potential going forward.

All collectors have to go to the $10 with the spouse coins, with the plats it is 4 sizes which increases the number of collectors needed.

It also seems gold mintages under or close to 3000 won't sit around for melt for very long, plat may but not gold.image
  • Options
    Half -

Agreed that the Julia has a super low mintage, and anyone collecting that series is a fool not to own one - but to compare a highly rejected series (Gold Spouse) by collectors to any American Eagle Series, especially the 3 year changing reverse W mintmarked coin - is a stretch.

Also, I split the American Eagle Series collectors into two segments - the collector who wants the "collector versions" and those who also view the bullion versions as required for their collections.

The first segment has upper hand in percentages split between the two collecting disciplines, I would venture to say about 70/30.

It all comes down to a 'collector version" W mintmarked plat collector who desires the 3 year changing reverse set, and possibly only in one denomination. They will go after 1/4's and 1/2's primarily, and with 2,481 1/4's and 2,253? halves (keys) available, it doesnt take much to move those prices skyward.

The best coin rarity for the money out there in the market right now. Hands down. All the others have moved too far too quick, the big % gains have already been realized.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the gold is gorgeous...but the bronze will complete "my" subset >>

Mine too! image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buying one of each in a minute.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Ordered no problem

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Got mine. Order Number: 35237xxx
  • Options
    I ordered one of each. The website is a little slow and I had to reload pages a few times, but no real problems.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't believe it! No problems, no crawling web pages, everything went off without a hitch. Ordered 3 of each, order number: 35237xxx
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Got 6 each, order # 35237****
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    Sarah Polk is now sold out, did anyone order one? I did last night.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    One of each to complete the set!

35238--- @ 12:10
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my Proof and MS ordered and yes smooth as silk for a change.

Forgot to add that I got three of the medals too.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    18 uncs and 2 proof here, got thru immediately
  • Options
    6000 unc 8800 proof for me, sorry everyone it's all sold out now.image
  • Options
    What does it mean?

Order Status: Your order request has been suspended.

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>What does it mean?

Order Status: Your order request has been suspended. >>

Hmmm, credit card to expire or expired?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does it mean?

Order Status: Your order request has been suspended. >>

It should change to "on hold" shortly.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I would say there wasn't much demand as you could surf the site at will minutes after they went on sale.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got 2 Proof & 2 Unc...no problems at all...hard to believe this was the Mint site.

And four Dolley Madisons will be going to the melting pot to pay for them!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say there wasn't much demand as you could surf the site at will minutes after they went on sale. >>

Or possibly they improved the site to handle the demand. The difference between the early order numbers and later order numbers should give us a clue.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Got 2 Proof & 2 Unc...no problems at all...hard to believe this was the Mint site.

And four Dolley Madisons will be going to the melting pot to pay for them! >>

At this rate, the early First Spouses will soon be scarcer than the recent ones! image

• Options
    500 orders between 12:00 and 12:07
  • Options
    Looks like they may increase the price of these next week, if gold keeps it upward trend.

• Options
    10 orders placed, first one at 12:01, order # 35237xxx
    tenth one at 12:10, order # 35238xxx

order number increased 568 from first to last

site was pretty fast

FloridaBill
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Ordered my one gold proof. 35237xxx.image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered mine, was busy and couldn't do it until an hour into sales... OMG, I guess I'm lucky they didn't sell out yet image

Order No. 35239XXX
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    That's 1,000 orders. from 35238xxx when I ordered at 12:03 PM.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    ordered proof & unc, forgot to get the bronze and now am on hold to see if it can be added to my order. The bronze medals look cool on my desk without having an outrageously expensive coin on display. I'm looking for the bronze Jefferson if anyone has an extra. PM me.
    Paul
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all I want to know is if Longacre bought one or both of these.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Between 12:33 and 1:37 they sold 850 orders. Thats nuts
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I also ordered one of each(proof & uncirculated). Order #35237xxx, 12:02 pm.
  • Options
    These coins must have the spouse jinx on them, if they were not part of the spouse series sales would have been triple so far.
  • Options

<< <i>These coins must have the spouse jinx on them, if they were not part of the spouse series sales would have been triple so far. >>

Sales may actually be high since there are no ordering limits. Many board members are buying multiples, and some deep pocket speculators could be buying dozens or even hundreds in a single order. Plus there could be large orders from dealers who specialize in moderns.

• Options
    ONE DEALER HIT THEM UP FOR ABOUT 800 COINS ON ONE ORDER.
  • Options

<< <i>ONE DEALER HIT THEM UP FOR ABOUT 800 COINS ON ONE ORDER. >>

WOW!!

Any word on how many uncirculated vs. proof?

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Am I hearing a big collective yawn out there?

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    The coins are a no-brainer, the ungraded past Liberties aren't doing real hot yet though so maybe that has an effect. In a month or a year though things may be different when people can't buy any more and have to come to those that bought.

The real secret is anyone that bought any Liberty gold coin should have made money at issue price, even the first one. Some will be kicking themselves for not buying the Liberty coins in years to come because it was like the gold buffalo fractional coins, an old classic design that people will want eventually even if it is jinxed for now.image

The regular spouse collectors have to have them, so the mintages beyond that are for those that only want the 4 and it isn't much. A few thousands will be all it takes to move them higher for the Jackson, Van Buren and maybe this one.

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Just bought a couple more.

3500 difference between order numbers. Approx. 3.5 hours of sales.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy these, they are getting difficult to buy because of the price of gold and the premium the mint puts on them, but as long as the funds are available, I plan to keep buying the uncs. For the 4 piece lib series I have both unc and PROOF, just because I really like the looks of them.

If I ultimately make money, so much better, but I really enjoy them.
  • Options
    3524xxxx - 2 unc and 2 proof, just ordered now.
  • Options
    They have taken over 3500 orders since 12:00.
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭
    Order #3524xxxx@3:15PM in stock for my 1 UNC to complete my subset.image
  • Options
    So it seems the Buchanan mintage will definitely surpass Jackson and Van Buren by a large margin.
    Does it mean the real winner will not be Buchanan, but Van Buren (unc)?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file