Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for quarter experts...

sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
I recently found a 1976-S silver business strike quarter that I thought was a mint error and was hoping to get clarification on weight allowances by the Mint.

The coin has a raised edge on the front starting about one oclock running to about five oclock with the highest portion running from three to four oclock. The appearance lead me to believe it may be struck on wrong type stock but the weight is 5.909 grams slightly more than the 5.7 grams of regular silver coin for this year.

The raised edge adds almost a milimeter to the thickness of the coin.

Does anyone know the tolerance spec for coins. 3% comes to mind but I do not know how accurate that is. This coin is 3.667% so it may not anything more than a slightly overweight planchette.

Any help would be appreciated.

V/R

S

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If it's a SILVER planchet on the correct thickness stock, I believe it should weigh 6.25 g.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    You're thinking 1964 and before 90% silver quarters. The 40% quarters according to one website were 5.7 grams.

I have revisited the website and notice that copper nickel clad quarters were 88 grains (5.7 grams) and the 40% silver quarters were 90 grains (5.83 grams).

This puts the quarter I found well within spec and for some reason it formed a lip during strike.

V/R

S
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    You might want to edit the title of this thread to attract the board's error experts, who can tell you how the error occured.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a "finned rim" error.
  • Options
    I removed the bicentennial reference.

However I believe the "finned rim" answered my question.

V/R

S
  • Options
    The Red Book says 5.75 grams for the weight of a 40% silver quarter (and 6.25 grams for 90% and 5.67 grams for regular clad).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file