Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Keep your answers to yes or no -- is Alomar getting in the HOF today?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How dare you attempt to limit the length of my answers. >>

Just trying to avoid any potential lawsuits.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    No
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    no doubt, yes.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Yes..................................
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    guess he didnt but next round... yes
  • Options

<< <i>guess he didnt but next round... yes >>

why are you a HOF next year but not this year... baseball HOF voting is stupid - maybe they should let the fans have a vote like the NFL is doing this year.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    why are you a HOF next year but not this year... baseball HOF voting is stupid - maybe they should let the fans have a vote like the NFL is doing this year.

Jasen -- I think this is the voters' way of distinguishing "levels" of the hall of fame -- many don't believe a hall-of-famer is a hall-of-famer is a hall-of-famer . . . and this is the only way to separate them.

Many vote for no one on the first ballot -- making the original five that much more important -- others reserve the first ballot for only the best of the best, e.g. Ripken, Henderson.

I forgot this when I replied that Alomar would get in today. Net out the aforementioned nuckleheads and he's in easily.

I don't agree with it either because once they're in, few remember (or ever knew) on what ballot the player was voted in -- so what's the point.

My two cents.

Scott

• Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    Alomar is in, no doubt. Why he didn't get in as a first timer.....many of the voters feel the first ballot is for superstars alone. Even though I think Alomar was a superstar, and the awards prove as much, he's a slam dunk next year.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    100!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    NO!!! Oh, they voted already, didn't they.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    no
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options

<< <i>Not first ballot, but he's within spitting distance. >>

will go down as the best answer to this thread and the most accurate.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not first ballot, but he's within spitting distance. >>

Shoot! You beat me to it!

Mike
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    imageNever !
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    My guess is

NO

• Options
    Nope... Agree he will make it in the next 4 years
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we can begin the 2011 speculation on the HOF. I think Alomar is in. I already see that buyers are bidding up his Gem Mints RCs.

Blyleven is also probably a lock, but I put his chances a little less than Alomar. I still don't think Jack Morris or Barry Larkin will get enough votes, even though you could argue that Larkin was just as good at Alomar during his prime years.

McGwire is going to get some company in purgatory with Palmiero and Juan Gonzalez on the ballot.

The most interesting candidate is Jeff Bagwell. .297-449 HR-1529 RBI. 1 ROY, 1 MVP, and surprisingly only a 4-time All-Star.

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tim Raines.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭
    Bagwell is in with the roid crowd. Sorry; but he doesn't get in.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I think Alomar will make it next year, and would like to see him inducted.

I remember watching him and his brother play here locally. I think we were the Wichita Pilots then. I was born in 1974 so I was a young teen-child then.

I recall thinking that Sandy Jr. was the better player. He could hit and was a catcher....which I always thought was the hardest position.

For a little while around this time my older brothers worked at the stadium and at times I would as well. If I sold a whole tray of drinks or whatever, I got one ticket. At the end of the night I would trade all my tickets in at $0.50 each. Looking back...doesn't seem like a very fair deal since that was for like 30-40 drinks.

A local sport card shop made a set of cards when they were here and I use to own about 30 of the sets, 2 almost completely autographed. They were dumped with all the rest of my childhood cards.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Kramer before him.
    PackManInNC