Home Precious Metals
Options

How to purchase Gold coins

So I'm new to purchasing gold coins. I'm intersted in smaller coin sizes, maybe 1/10th of an ounce. I would like to purchase examples from all of the various countries that produce the coins and hopefully pay the going rate for gold (or less if possible!)

So my questions are:
1) What countries produce such coins? I've heard of of canda, china, and south africa making them
2) What's the best way to buy such coins? Ebay? Other websites? Directly somehow?

Sorry for the newb question, if you can point me to a good website or another link that would be great as well.

Comments

• Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>So I'm new to purchasing gold coins. I'm intersted in smaller coin sizes, maybe 1/10th of an ounce. I would like to purchase examples from all of the various countries that produce the coins and hopefully pay the going rate for gold (or less if possible!)

So my questions are:
    1) What countries produce such coins? I've heard of of canda, china, and south africa making them
    2) What's the best way to buy such coins? Ebay? Other websites? Directly somehow?

Sorry for the newb question, if you can point me to a good website or another link that would be great as well. >>

Im sorry but you will probably not find anywhere on the net that will sell you 1/10 gold at spot or less.
  • Options
    Apmex.com
    Gainesvillecoins.com
    Ebay
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    First, let me say "Welcome"!

Then, I suggest you to read this Guide (well written by one of our fellow members, Gecko).

There are few websites that sell gold coins. In addition to the ones mentioned by pmcollector, I would add providentmetals.com, they have fair prices and shipping charges.

I like the 1/10 ozers but they have an higher premium over melt.
    Lots of countries make now this denomination.
    Just to name a few, the most popular.

Mexico - Libertad
    USA - Eagle
    Canada - Maple Leaf
    Australia - Kangaroo + Lunar Series
    South Africa - Krugerrand
    China - Panda
    Austria - Philharmonic

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Most 1/10th oz government issued gold coins sell for between 18% and 35% OVER melt value. You will not find any selling for the price of the gold itself....and certainly not less!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had great luck buying and selling on the forum Buy, Sell, & Trade forum, especially the monthly BST thread in the Precious Metals forum here. After several dozen BST transactions, I've had nothing but smooth transactions and I've never had a problem.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Here is a thread showing silver coins from around the world as well. SHould be similar for the gold.

LINK
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    hurry below spot!

I stop buy these to good to be true listings. 7 out of 8 did not deliver and my $ was tied up for weeks.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>hurry below spot! >>

Heres another coin that seller "sold" within the last few days.

Friendly 2oz silver wager that the buyer never gets the coin???
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smaller the coin, higher the premium.

My overall coin choice - 1/4 ounce gold eagle

best prices will be in quantity at tulving.com

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>hurry below spot! >>

Heres another coin that seller "sold" within the last few days.

Friendly 2oz silver wager that the buyer never gets the coin??? >>

Good point, OP. If you keep shopping around for the lowest seller, you increase your chance of getting ripped off.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Would anyone here buy a gold coin for about 25% UNDER melt value from a guy on ebay who has no activity in the past 90 days, and sold shirts before that?

Guaranteed scamola!
  • Options
    Some one did bought 2-1/2 oz AGE's. Had them listed for $585 & $590. Before I could check his feed back they SOLD!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some one did bought 2-1/2 oz AGE's. Had them listed for $585 & $590. Before I could check his feed back they SOLD! >>

Doesn't mean that the buyer received the gold.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some one did bought 2-1/2 oz AGE's. Had them listed for $585 & $590. Before I could check his feed back they SOLD! >>

Doesn't mean that the buyer received the gold. >>

Recon not sense they sold this morning.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Smaller the coin, higher the premium.

My overall coin choice - 1/4 ounce gold eagle

>>

My strategy here. 1/4 ounce at a time.

Alex, you won't find anything at spot price for fractionals. The bigger the fractional, the lesser the premium(usually). I'm guessing 1/10s are going in the $130-150 range on ebay or most websites. Ebay is a good place if you look for reputable sellers that have sold a bunch of gold in the past. Apmex is a good place or you could buy from gainesvillecoins.com. I've bought from Gainesville a lot and have been pleased everytime.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    OK, just looked at Gainesville. Not spamming for them, but they have 1/10 ouncers for $133 and 1/4 ouncers for around $330.

link

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, just looked at Gainesville. Not spamming for them, but they have 1/10 ouncers for $133 and 1/4 ouncers for around $330.

link >>

quarter ounce eagles at tulving for 322 ea., but you have to buy tube of 40.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, just looked at Gainesville. Not spamming for them, but they have 1/10 ouncers for $133 and 1/4 ouncers for around $330.

link >>

quarter ounce eagles at tulving for 322 ea., but you have to buy tube of 40. >>

If I had $13k I'd be all over that. image