Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Looking for rare Pro Set - will make good offers!

Greetings strangers! I'm new here, but nonetheless, my forays into the PSA Collector's Universe boards was inevitable for I'm now deep into the search for the rarest of the rare Pro Set Football cards. I'm looking for any and all rarities from 1989-1993. Holograms, Promos, and Prototype all fit into the category, including blank backs, blank fronts, wrong fronts and backs, reverse fronts and backs, you name it, I'm looking for it. Also, any leads on the 1990 Pro Set Dexter Manley 772A Substance Abuse Variation / Error card are highly welcomed. Will make an exceptional offer for this card. Thanks for your time, looking forward to hearing back from you folks. Sincerely, Garo Yepremian's Number One Fan!
"Yeah I think I'm better than Chuck Swirsky. Freakin' liberal."

Comments

• theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • i've got a silver anniversary set from super bowl xxv special collector's edition featuring the all-time super bowl team & 1990 afc and nfc champions. the set was sponcered by buick, not sure if this set fits your needs/wants.
  • Hello there. Are the Jeff George cards blank backs or fronts? Otherwise, if they are the draft day set, they are worth a very small amount like a dollar or two a piece on eBay. If they are blank fronts or backs, I'm highly interested. These are very rare, and unfortunately (or fortunately?) not many know about them.

The Santa Claus, other than the 1989 version, isn't worth very much, unfortunately and is not that rare.

As for Jeff George, I was like 7 years old when he broke on to the scene. Every time my Dad talks about Jeff George he comes back to Jay Cutler saying "They were saying the same thing about Jeff George.. 'Helluva arm, could throw the ball a quarter mile' yada yada, but the guy just doesn't have the mentality to be a professional NFL quarterback".. I'm paraphrasing but that sounds kind of like Jay Cutler to me. Infinite potential, just doesn't have the focus or motivation to be great.

Let me know regarding those cards, thanks.
  • Hello minors4me. Is the set in a binder? I'm looking for the "Silver Anniversary Binder" but I believe the set you have is the smaller four card per page binder. Are there any blue/red Bills/Giants/Raiders/49ers cards in it? If so, which ones? PLMK, take care.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I have about twenty 500 count boxes with ProSet and Score from those years but without a list of what is needed I cannot go thru the boxes....do you have a list of the rarer cards??? thanks

al.
  • Yes I have a list. Here are the main cards I'm looking for, although some of these you wouldn't be able to find "pack-issued" but nonetheless, I'm not sure how your inventory was acquired so I'll list anyways. Here they are:

E-Mail Read Pro Set Want List:

1989 Pro Set Football:
    478C, 480C, and 483C (All of these cards have a "Traded Stripe" located diagonally on the front of the card, and on the back of the card, there is no "See Also Card #.." at the bottom of the bio. notes)

Also, I'm looking for a 1989 NFL Properties Christmas Card that apparently was mailed to sports dealers with the Santa Claus card included. I don't know if the Pro Set logo or any reference to Pro Set is in the Christmas Card, I just know it was mailed with the 1989 Santa Claus SP

For the 1990 Pro Set I still need quite a lot. The following is what I need:
    15A Walter Stanley (#87 on back - UNCONFIRMED & POSSIBLY NON-EXTANT)
    52A Ditka Large HOF Letters On Front In Banner
    118A Childress (Black Blotch On Back)
    153A Willie Gault (153 Card Number On Back is Blurred)
    207A John Stephens Red Slash through 1988 TDs on Back
    315A Ervin Randle Red Slash on back on right top banner
    338C Jerry Reynolds / Eric Dickerson Mock-Up card
    343Aa Chris Hinton Transitional Version / No Traded Snipe With "Six time.." as the top line on back of card. (Unconfirmed)
    444 Thurman Thomas "Mock-Up" (3-D Company Card - Very Rare)
    528 Donaldson (Missing "r" In Free In Text)
    534 Ross ("K"Incomplete On Front)
    567 Fenney Black Line Through "RICK" On Front)
    630 Miller (Position Listed As WR On Front And Back "UNVERIFIED")
    632 O'Neal (LB-DE on Front And Back - UNCONFIRMED)
    632 O'Neal (Missing Line "Moved From Defensive End..." UNCONFIRMED)
    666 Steve Young Cowboys / VP Promo
    735 Peguese (Last Line, Period Placed Close to text "UNVERIFIED")
    760 Anderson (Incomplete 9 In 1989 In Text on back)
    772A Dexter Manley Error (Mentions Substance Abuse)
    1990 Pro Set Owner's Edition Binder, Volumes 1 and 2 With Info Cards
    Super Bowl XXV Silver Anniversary Large Binder
    Barry Sanders Promo Double Front (Gold)
    Barry Sanders Promo White Front / Gold Front
    Any Jeff George "Proofs" (Blank Backs or Fronts)
    The entire Cincinnati FACT set with binder and unreleased #338 Eric Dickerson FACT card.

1991 Pro Set Football:
    5B Mike Singletary (3D Prototype - similar to the Thurman Thomas, has a plastic coat and is thick, more than 180pt. I believe - very rare)
    10 Sanders (Frt. Banner Cream Color)
    12 Novacek (Stat Heading Partially Missing)
    18 Carrier (Broken Text)
    24 Cunningham (Green Stat Box)
    25 Marino (Jurgensen Stats Partially Missing)
    27 Campbell (AFC Logo Dark Red On Back)
    32 Maryland (Smudge Above Pro Set Logo On Back)
    44 Walker (Banner Light Brown)
    59 Dorsey (Stat Lines Orange)
    72 Parcells (Yellow And Red Line Around Stats)
    95 Haynes (Red Around Stats)
    97 Miller(Name Bar On Frt. Gray)
    216 Shula (Small Red Line In Totals On Back)
    219 Merriweather (Minnesota Vikings On Frt. Not Black)
    335 Jackson (No NFLPA Logo, Partial Register Mark)
    335 Jackson (NFLPA Logo No Register Mark)
    335 Jackson (NFLPA Logo Purplish)
    523 Banks (No Text)
    622 Harvey (Yellow And Red Lines Around Stats)
    694 Raghib Ismail - Patriots Draft Variation
    L. Taylor REP AUTO /500
    L. Taylor PB AUTO /500
    O. Newsome AUTO /500
    Erik Kramer AUTO
    Dan Marino "Think About It" Promo (No Number On Back)
    Troy Aikman "Think About It" Promo (No Number On Back)
    Troy Aikman "Pro Files" Promo (No Number On Back)
    Super Bowl XXVI Foot Locker Set
    World Bowl Set
    Any Mobil FACT Sets or Sealed Packs

1992 Pro Set Football:
    24 Lowery (#8 On Back)
    30 Mims (Broken 1 Fixed "UNVERIFIED")
    167 Green (31 And 9 "UNVERIFIED")
    Club Pro Set (Bronze) (Silver) (Gold)
    Emmitt Smith (We Got Emmitt Smith Sheet "1 of 2,000")
    Emmitt Smith(We Got Emmitt Smith Sheet "No Number")

This is mainly what I need, if you have something not listed here that you believe to be rare or otherwise elusive, please let me know, I may be interested. My blog is located here "prosetfootball.blogspot.com" and is dedicated to all the Pro Set Football sets. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to your response. Have a great day.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    member jacksoncoupage is your man. Enable PM' (private message) and locate him. He is the zen master on pro set variations and rarities.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Hey burke.. Yep, I know him well (as far is errors and variations collecting is concerned). That guy has trained his eyes to find these rarities and has found many himself. I created a new checklist, there are literally hundreds of new errors and variations from the 1990 Pro Set Football collection. These are mainly "printing" errors, but usually involve obscured letters or numbers, completely obfuscated letters or numbers, broken stat lines, floating lines, it's the most "organic" set I've come across and thus have devoted my time to, although I mainly specialize in Topps Football 1991 and prior and all Pro Set Football. Thanks for the recommendation though, and you are right.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Since it is not on your need list, I have to ask if you have #480D from 1989 Pro Set--and more importantly, do you have an extra one available for sale or trade?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The Lud Denny card is up for auction this week, and that's about as scarce a card as you'll find in 1990 Pro Set. I'd be all over this one if it was in better condition.

You can have it...this time. image
  • Hey Akbar. I do have the D Variations as I acquired a 1989 Pro Set Errors and Variations Binder about half a year ago. The guy who listed it said "Has all the info cards, but none of the big variations." When I received it, there were none of the Prototypes or Promos, but there were both 480D and 483D included! He had no clue! Unfortunately these are the only two I have (480D and 483D). They are MEGA tough, not as tough as the 772A Dexter Manley though, that is one of the few that which has eluded my grasp. Send me your want lists to all who read, I'm a Pro Set Mega Collector (at least the football side of things) and I may have the lesser variations and errors in stock.
  • Hello there Hallmark.. guess what? That's my auction! I came into a small collection of the Lud Denny Promos recently. Most of them are near mint condition, but I won't let one go for less than $200, maybe a very small amount lower. It took me a year and a half to find this, and I came late to the last auction that was a year ago for a similar one. They are just too rare not to except anything much less than that. FYI, save my account if you are a Pro Set collector, I at least twice a month list auction style listings of many Pro Set auctions.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Trent,

Here are my want lists for Pro Set Football. I am including cards that you also need--just in case another seller comes along who might can help both of us.

Thanks for looking.

1989 Pro Set:
    480C-Earnest Byner (Traded Banner on front, but No “See card 74” on Back)
    480D-Earnest Byner (No Trade Banner on Front, “See card 74” on back)
    535A-Gizmo Williams (no “Scouting Photo” on front, and “Footbal” misspelled on back)

1989-90 Pro Set GTE SB Album:
    369-Harris Barton

1990-91 Pro Set Super Bowl Binder:
    231-Lawrence Taylor

1991 Pro Set:
    AU336-Lawrence Taylor REP (AUTO/500)
    AU394-Lawrence Taylor PB (AUTO/500)
    694A-Russell Maryland
    820-Tony Casillas

1991 Pro Set Platinum:
    PC1-Emmitt Smith (Platinum Metal card)

1991 Pro Set Spanish:
    E3-Tony Casillas

1991-92 Pro Set Super Bowl Binder:
    316-Earnest Byner

1992 Pro Set:
    AU150-Emmitt Smith (AUTO/1000)

1992 Pro Set Gold MVPs:
    MVP18-Emmitt Smith

1992 Pro Set HOF 2000:
    10-Lawrence Taylor

1992 Pro Set Ground Force:
    150-Emmitt Smith

1992 Pro Set Emmitt Smith Holograms:
    ES1-Statistics
    ES2-Drafted by Cowboys
    ES4-NFL Rushing Leader

1992 Pro Set Emmitt Smith Sendoff:
    1-Emmitt Smith
    2-Emmitt Smith
    3-Emmitt Smith
    4-Emmitt Smith
    5-Emmitt Smith
    6-Emmitt Smith
    7-Emmitt Smith
    8-Emmitt Smith
    9-Emmitt Smith
    10-Emmitt Smith

1992-93 Pro Set Super Bowl XXVII:
    28-Robert Jones

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the list, know I'll start looking for the cards....as I noted I have a bunch of 500 count boxes so it won't be something that happens overnight....will keep you apprised as I go thru the boxes. I pulled two out to start with this afternoon. al.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I am a Steve Young collector and found a variation in the 1990 Pro Set card. (That is different the one some eBay seller claims to have had, but I could not see in the eBay auction photos. It likely was a line or something and just not hard to see.) On the last letter or one of the last letters in the bio on the back part of the letter is missing. I have been saving all the Young 90 Pro Sets since I found this, to get some ideal on their relative rarity..and it appears to be fairly even in print.

Search Pro Set error in this forum and it will show you what I am referring to. I can send you a couple of each for $2.50 with shipping (shipping being ~$1.15, bubble mailer $.10, so after PP fees...about $1).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

• << <i>Hello minors4me. Is the set in a binder? I'm looking for the "Silver Anniversary Binder" but I believe the set you have is the smaller four card per page binder. Are there any blue/red Bills/Giants/Raiders/49ers cards in it? If so, which ones? PLMK, take care. >>

• << <i>

<< <i>Hello minors4me. Is the set in a binder? I'm looking for the "Silver Anniversary Binder" but I believe the set you have is the smaller four card per page binder. Are there any blue/red Bills/Giants/Raiders/49ers cards in it? If so, which ones? PLMK, take care. >>

>>

the cards are in a silver binder, 4 cards a page with 14 pages. 12 bills cards with red background #'s 39,40,47,48,437,438,440,443,444,725,753,754 and 12 giants cards with blue background #'s 223,226,228,230,231,232,591,592,596,692,765,766 then there is card #799 special collectible ronnie lot stay in school. plus there is the 31 card silver anniversary set 1-27 with 4 others
  • Yeah, unfortunately, minors, I already have that set, although to have it all together is worth I believe about $25 if listed properly. I just tried selling some of the "unreleased" Raiders AFC Champions cards. These are very rare versions that were made in case of the game going a different way. They also made these for the 49ers (that's right with both a Jerry Rice "NFC Champions" and a Joe Montana "NFC Champions" card). I have a set of my own and sold my spare set for a little over $200 bucks, which might've been a good price. If anyone's interested I still have a few of these Raiders Unreleased Buick Silver Anniversary Binder cards (Marcus Allen, Terry McDaniel, Don Mosebar, Willie Gault, Max Montoya, Jay Schroeder, Art Shell, Mervyn Fernandez, and Greg Townsend). All of those cards were in mint condition and would be sold for no less than $10 a piece, FYI.
  • pm sent

looking to sell 1990 Pro Set Fred Marion belt card.
  • yznx3eyznx3e Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Akbar I think I have the 1989 Superbowl XII card. I will post pic when I dig it out. Is it an error or just a short print?

Is this it?

• << <i>Akbar I think I have the 1989 Superbowl XII card. I will post pic when I dig it out. Is it an error or just a short print?

Is this it?

image >>

Yes, that is the card he was referencing. I guess you could all it a short print, it was a part of the Super Bowl Variations that were put into the Series I packs. I also have one if he needs it, but if you two want to work something out, go right ahead.
  • yznx3eyznx3e Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Thanks Tezla. Definitely not trying to hijack your thread. Wasn't able to find any of the cards on your list.
  • I have some at www.RCSportsCards.com and will be adding more soon, in proc of going through about 100,000 1990-1991 pro set fball cards
  • I'm also looking for Rare 1990 Pro Set. Please check my site www.allsportdvd.com to see what I have & need
    www.allsportdvd.com
  • PM'd you.
    "Customer will forgive higher prices, but never lower quality"