Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the top FIVE toughest/key dates in the SLQ series?

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
#1 being the toughest in any grade (especially VF and higher)

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    This depends on whether you're looking for full head or not. According to Kline's book some dates only have 1-2% in FH.

My take would be the 1916, 1927S, 1919S, 1919D and 1923S.
    If you include the overdate - 1918/7 then it would be 1st.

JMO
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    16, 19-D, 21 and 27-S
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never built a set myself, but have been offered and/or purchased partial sets as well as a number of coins from this series. I know that I see a lot more 21P's in VF and higher than I do 23S and 27S coins.
    I just turned down a nice original 19D in an old small ANACS AU50 holder for well back of Bid, now I see you guys are rating it near the top - dang!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never built a set myself, but have been offered and/or purchased partial sets as well as a number of coins from this series. I know that I see a lot more 21P's in VF and higher than I do 23S and 27S coins.
    I just turned down a nice original 19D in an old small ANACS AU50 holder for well back of Bid, now I see you guys are rating it near the top - dang! >>

Yes the 1919-D along with the 1919-S have always been a tough semi-key dates.

I want to see what others have to say on this thread but will say that I do not consider the 1916 tough... there are way more underrated dates.

As I can buy a 1916 any day of the week from a grade of below Good through MS66FH.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most 20th century key date coins, I don't really see the circulated '16 as difficult, if you can afford to buy one. I see them at almost every show, and they are readily available online... I can't remember the last time I saw a decent '19-D or '23-S anywhere...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Like most 20th century key date coins, I don't really see the circulated '16 as difficult, if you can afford to buy one. I see them at almost every show, and they are readily available online... I can't remember the last time I saw a decent '19-D or '23-S anywhere... >>

As a first year issue the 1916 has always been saved.

Although in lower quantities due to it's skimpy mintage of 52K and the fact that they where released in 1917.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you mean Seated...then all the early cc's 70, 71, 72, 73, last but not least 73 NA CC. I guess standard nomenclature is that SLQ means Standing Liberty Quarter although I have used this as Seated.
    John
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i> My take would be the 1916, 1927S, 1919S, 1919D and 1923S. >>

Although I agree with the other posters who stated the 1916 is readily available if you have the money. Kinda like the 09-S VDB.

The 17-S Type 2 and 24-D are also slightly difficult to find nice and problem free.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Dizzy, you might know what's on your mind, but not everyone else does unless you make it clear. I'm guessing (along with another poster,) you meant Seated Liberty Quarters. But, understandably, several others took you to mean Standing Liberty Quarters.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dizzy, you might know what's on your mind, but not everyone else does unless you make it clear. I'm guessing (along with another poster,) you meant Seated Liberty Quarters. But, understandably, several others took you to mean Standing Liberty Quarters. >>

Thanks Mark, I didn't realize the potential for different interpretation. I was actually referring to the Standing Liberty 25c's for I am looking to add one of the tough dates to my collection. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>Dizzy, you might know what's on your mind, but not everyone else does unless you make it clear. I'm guessing (along with another poster,) you meant Seated Liberty Quarters. But, understandably, several others took you to mean Standing Liberty Quarters. >>

Thanks Mark, I didn't realize the potential for different interpretation. I was actually referring to the Standing Liberty 25c's for I am looking to add one of the tough dates to my collection. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. >>

That's OK. Occasionally, I see a seller list an item for sale, with only a date, no denomination. He undoubtedly knows what he means, but most others don't.image
  • Options
    LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭
    I'd put the 23-S on the very top of the list.

...Tom

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The "average” 23-S is not a big deal in VF, but with a full or nearly full date, it's very scarce. This date in XF-45 or AU -50 through 58 would be my number one choice.

The 27-s is always available in grades through VF, but a solid XF-45 or higher can be a real challenge. Unfortunately, the weak strikes force picky collectors into the higher and much more expensive grades. A sharply struck XF or AU 27-S would be my number two choice; that is, if you can find one.

I also like XF or AU dates such as the 19-D, 19-S and 21. The overdate is somewhat available in circulated grades because it is not always considered part of a complete set. It is, however, very scarce.
    Of course, in higher grades, the Full Head or "Full Detail" characteristics can turn a common date into a rarity. Try finding a true full head 23 P. Not easy!

The high price tag of the 1916 quarters significantly reduces the amount of buyers, so the illusion that "they are everywhere" needs some elaboration. They are everywhere except in collector's hands. With that said, an AU-58FH 19-D is much harder to find than a comparable 1916, but I don't find it nearly as interesting a coin to own; just my opinion.

It's difficult for me to be 100% objective with regard to this series, as every single date/mintmark combination is worthy of owning. However, you will find that many will agree that the aforementioned list of dates in higher circulated or mint state grades are among the "toughest" to obtain.
  • Options
    Just tossing in a 19-S to give this image-less-thread a lil color! image

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 1916 quarter is like the 1916-D dime. If you have the money you can find one in about 15 minutes! Where as these other dates it will take some real searching.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was doing my F-VF set I had the hardest time with the 1917-D T2 and the 1920-D. The others would be the 19-D , 24-D and 17-s T2.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess standard nomenclature is that SLQ means Standing Liberty Quarter although I have used this as Seated.

Seated quarters are technically and officially refered to as Liberty Seated Quarters.....LSQ's...hence the LSCC. So between afficianado's of either series confusing SLQ with LSQ usually does not occur.image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    In my opinion, the 1921 is one of the more overrated dates. My latest numismatic joy has been going through these ebay SLQ junk lots....I've skimmed through literally hundreds of these 40 coin lots, and I'm amazed at how many of these lots contain the 1921. So far I have pulled 3 1921s(the latest being a solid VF/XF), and have seen over a dozen of them get by me. This date just seems to be everywhere imo.

The 1916 is a semi-available date, but I don't think that it can even be compared to the svdb or the 16-d merc as far as availability is concerned. There are dozens of 16-ds and svdbs on ebay at any given time, where there are usually only 3-4 16slqs. Also, the population reports are multiples higher for the lincoln and the merc, even though the 16 slq would better justify certification and resubmissions due to the value. They are more available then other dates imo partially because there is a lot more to profit from in selling them. I do think it's a tough coin overall, though it could never be compared to the 1901-s quarter as far as rarity is concerned.

With all that said, I do agree that the 19-d is one of the toughest coins. It was actually the last one I purchased to complete the set. There never seem to be very many on the market, and they always seem to sell for way over book. I personally think the value of the 1921 and the 1919-d should be switched, but that's just me. Though the 27-s is rare in higher grades, it seems to be quite available in circ grades, so it's not that tough overall imo. With all that said, my order would be:

1) 1916
    2) 1919-d
    3) 1923-s
    4) 1919-s
    5) 1920-d
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    My vote would be for the 23-s, 19-d,19-s,27-s,21. The 27-d is a challenge with a decent head
  • Options
    You are all wrong as the toughest is the 1931! image

It's the Nessy of Lochness level SLQ as there have been multiple rumors of it's existence.

The mint supposedly had dies prepared in 1930 for a 1931 Philly strike.

Maybe RWB can shed some light on this one image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just turned down a nice original 19D in an old small ANACS AU50 holder for well back of Bid, now I see you guys are rating it near the top - dang! >>

Ok, you guys have convinced me - I just called up my dealer friend, who had the coin packed for Baltimore, and told him to set it back for me. I'll pick it up at the Clearwater show in a couple of weeks image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    The toughest in VF-XF is the 1923-s with a full four digit date. Not so tought in Au-Bu.
    Next is the 1918/17-s, followed by the 1919-d, 1919-s and the 1927-s. The 1927-s is easier in Vf but very tough in Xf.
    The 1916 is plentiful but trying to find an original circulated example that hasn't been played with is real tough.
    The 1920-d and 1924-d are tough in VF-XF.
    The 1924-d and 1926-d are very common in Bu but the 1926-d in Vf-Au is tough.
    The 1921-p is real common and not a big deal in any circulated grade.
    I have struggled to find a problem free 1926 p in AU for whatever reason.
    Mightyhunter #8 PCGS Registry Set with Varieties

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file