Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1987 Donruss mystery... who's the Yankees "Rated Rookie" on the box?

The card only appears on the box. He's not in the set.

The only info we can extract from the picture is..

he's a righty or a switch hitter (maybe, sometimes Donruss took pictures of pitchers hitting).
He looks caucasian.
He's got dark hair

Right/Switch caucasian Yankees rookies in 1987:
Jay Buhner
Phil Lombardi
Jeff Moronko

Of course, it doesn't necessarly need to be a guy who even played in 1987 for the Yanks. Maybe the card got deleted due to the guy not making the roster?

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    "Why'd you trade Buhner?!!!"
    - Frank Costanza
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Thats Dale Murphy and he did not play for ths Yankees. Whats my prize?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Thats Dale Murphy and he did not play for ths Yankees. Whats my prize? >>

• I am going to go with Phil Lombardi on this one.

I'll update if I uncover any new info. Great thread!
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Excellent Question!!!

I always thought it was Scott Bradley, but looking up his bio, he only hit left handed. Unless he was just posing right handed as a goof, but I doubt it.
    Here's Lombardi's card from the set.

To me, it doesn't look like the jaw and ear match up.

• I tend to think it's not Lombardi. My reasoning is that on 1987 Donruss the position immediately follows the name and as you can see on the actual produced Phil Lombardi card his name + position carries almost the entire name section of the card.

of course it could've been editted out, knowing they removed the card...
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Here's Buhner in a similar pose in 1988 Donruss. Doesn't look like him.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
    Some images I could find for Moronko.

From his 1986 Pro Card OKC

Hard to say
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Randy Velarde
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'll second Velarde.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Heck of a good thread! I have no clue of the answer but it's a great thread. Somebody here will know the answer I am sure.

• << <i>Somebody here will know the answer I am sure. >>

I already gave the answer.

<< <i>Randy Velarde >>

Possibly. Velarde looks like he's a little more brown though.

imageimage

• I'll have to go with Michael Caine, 'cause he was in just about everything at that time.
    Keith
  • If I have to say Velarde again, I may ban myself this time.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Cut it out and submit it image

<< <i>If I have to say Velarde again, I may ban myself this time. >>

Are you providing a concrete fact, or are you making an educated guess?

• I remember it from a Beckett back in the late 80s.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Looks a lot like Brian Dayett, although he was with the Cubs by that time... Old stock photo?
    I'm going to vote Velarde at this point as well. The shape of the face and the way his hair bobs a little off his neck seem to match.

Mattingly I thought I told you to get rid of those sideburns!

This would be easier if the guys all didn't have the same haircut.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Shoeless Joe Jackson - 100% guarantee

This card will now go up 5000% in value!
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm going to vote Velarde at this point as well. The shape of the face and the way his hair bobs a little off his neck seem to match. >>

I'm also convinced by the way his hair bobs off his neck, as well as the rosy blush of his cheeks, and the graceful taper of his ear.
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm going to vote Velarde at this point as well. The shape of the face and the way his hair bobs a little off his neck seem to match. >>

I'm also convinced by the way his hair bobs off his neck, as well as the rosy blush of his cheeks, and the graceful taper of his ear. >>

...not that there's anything wrong with that...
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
    well played sir
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    After thinking this over wasn't there an article on this back in the 80's.

The rumor was that it was always Randy Valarde, as it seemed Valarde was the answer you every Yankee Triva question at the time.

I remember it being a lesser known player and I think it was confirmed NOT to be Randy V.

anyone remember this besides me ?
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Need a better picture of the box card....

The ears will guide you image
  • How about this name..........Bob Geren?

<< <i>Need a better picture of the box card.... >>

Anyone got a 1987 Donruss box they can scan?

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve George
  • DonyoguyDonyoguy Posts: 30 ✭✭

Thinking about mysteries from 1987 today, I stumbled across this decade old question that was apparently never answered. I think I have a guess.

First off, apologies to banned user lsutigers1973, but it's 100% not Randy Velarde. He was in the White Sox organization until a trade sent him to the Yankees in early 1987, so there would have been no photo of him in a Yankees cap until spring training that year, well after this set was released. It's likewise not Jay Buhner, Jeff Moronko or Phil Lombardi (who already has a card in the set), as this guy looks nothing like them.

This seems to be the only other guy from the '86 Yankees organization that makes sense.

Lindsey would have been in camp with the Yankees in spring 1986 to have his photo taken, and he put up decent numbers in Albany that year, albeit as a 26-year old AA catcher. The Yanks didn't really have a #1 catcher going into 1987 after Butch Wynegar quit the team, so the player selection team at Donruss probably figured the starting job was up for grabs and might fall to the most experienced rookie. Granted Phil Lombardi was a level higher in the system and actually played for the big club in '86, but Donruss had made more head-scratching decisions than this with their Rated Rookie selections in the past (see: Russ Stephans in 1985, another 26-year old catcher with no major league experience, and a minor league photo to boot.)

Lindsey was shipped to the White Sox on December 24, 1986, which would make his removal from the set logical, assuming the release hadn't gone to press yet. Does anyone know what the release date for this set was? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

And yes, I am aware that I have too much free time on my hands.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Donyoguy said:
    Thinking about mysteries from 1987 today, I stumbled across this decade old question that was apparently never answered. I think I have a guess.

First off, apologies to banned user lsutigers1973, but it's 100% not Randy Velarde. He was in the White Sox organization until a trade sent him to the Yankees in early 1987, so there would have been no photo of him in a Yankees cap until spring training that year, well after this set was released. It's likewise not Jay Buhner, Jeff Moronko or Phil Lombardi (who already has a card in the set), as this guy looks nothing like them.

This seems to be the only other guy from the '86 Yankees organization that makes sense.

Lindsey would have been in camp with the Yankees in spring 1986 to have his photo taken, and he put up decent numbers in Albany that year, albeit as a 26-year old AA catcher. The Yanks didn't really have a #1 catcher going into 1987 after Butch Wynegar quit the team, so the player selection team at Donruss probably figured the starting job was up for grabs and might fall to the most experienced rookie. Granted Phil Lombardi was a level higher in the system and actually played for the big club in '86, but Donruss had made more head-scratching decisions than this with their Rated Rookie selections in the past (see: Russ Stephans in 1985, another 26-year old catcher with no major league experience, and a minor league photo to boot.)

Lindsey was shipped to the White Sox on December 24, 1986, which would make his removal from the set logical, assuming the release hadn't gone to press yet. Does anyone know what the release date for this set was? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

And yes, I am aware that I have too much free time on my hands.

Not bad detective work, I think you may have just wrapped this case up!

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭