Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trivia Question

Let’s see who can be the first to name the denomination and date of issue of:

a) A United States coin with a portrait of the current (at the time of issue) President’s profiled on the obverse.
b) Name the President

Comments

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Without looking it up, it would almost have to be something from the 1790's with George Washington on it.
    Probably a penny. This is just a guess

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>Without looking it up, it would almost have to be something from the 1790's with George Washington on it.

Ron >>

Washington was President from 1789 – 1797, I am unaware of any coins issued by the United States government with Washington’s profile during his terms of office.

One down, forty-three to go (LOL)
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Wasn't Calvin Coolidge on the Sesquicentennial Commemorative?

Edited to add: He was president 1923–1929 and is featured with Washington on the 1926 Sesquicentennial Commemorative half.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    I don't believe any such coin has ever been issued by the U.S. mint.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't believe any such coin has ever been issued by the U.S. mint. >>

It is even listed in the "Red Book".

I trying to get my dad to pick one up for me, not much luck yet image
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>

<< <i>Without looking it up, it would almost have to be something from the 1790's with George Washington on it.

Ron >>

Washington was President from 1789 – 1797, I am unaware of any coins issued by the United States government with Washington’s profile during his terms of office.

One down, forty-three to go (LOL) >>

OK which corner shall I go sit in?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind that not everything in the Redbook was made by the U.S. Mint........i tend to agree that no such coin has been made.......Judd-486, a pattern nickel, is a pretty close candidate (it carries a date of 1866 while the obverse has Lincoln's portrait (sitting president until his assasination in 1865)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>Wasn't Calvin Coolidge on the Sesquicentennial Commemorative?

Edited to add: He was president 1923–1929 and is featured with Washington on the 1926 Sesquicentennial Commemorative half. >>

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't Calvin Coolidge on the Sesquicentennial Commemorative?

Edited to add: He was president 1923–1929 and is featured with Washington on the 1926 Sesquicentennial Commemorative half. >>

Speety named the first sitting President to being featured on a United States coin.

Now, who was the second sitting President to be featured on a United States coin, please list the date and denomination. (Hint, it would have to be after 1926).
    To make it more interesting, this time name the issuing branch Mint. image
  • Options
    FDR was shown on the 1936 silver Peso of the Philippine Commonwealth, although minted in Manila, it was under the sovereignty of the United States.

I'm guessing that would qualify, but I suppose it depends on your definition of "U.S.Mint". My latest Redbook is 2005, so if the correct answer is after that, I'm out.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest that both Coolidge and FDR qualify-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>FDR was shown on the 1936 silver Peso of the Philippine Commonwealth, although minted in Manila, it was under the sovereignty of the United States.

I'm guessing that would qualify, but I suppose it depends on your definition of "U.S.Mint". My latest Redbook is 2005, so if the correct answer is after that, I'm out.

image >>

You guys are good! I thought this one would stump everyone but Speety and StubbyMcNumbthumbs nailed them. image

Link to article about the US Mint at Manila. The article is wrong as Speety pointed out, the Sesquicentennial half dollar Commemorative was the first coin to have a sitting President profiled on a US coin.

I'm not sure how to post a picture yet, but here is a link to what the "1936M Roosevelt/Quezon One Peso" looks like.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

that little picture box under message text:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file