Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Post a cool coin image....

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
image Image courtesy of our own Shylock.... Love this one!

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I prefer this one myself: image

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kingdom of Bylosvania 1967 "3" ~~~2010 Restrike

imageimage
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this one is kind of cool.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image Image courtesy of our own Shylock.... Love this one!

image >>

That's way cool. I will try to post something here in the next 12 hours or so...
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    Great Post, and Pictures, Should be up at the top all day today!!

God Bless the Men & Women who stand up for our freedom so we can drop to our knees and pray for them!
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    No pics, respect and gratitude to all that served and died.

Tears and sorrow for the ones they left behind.

Happy Memorial Day.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unable to identify this, it seems appropriate for this thread today.
  • Options
    This was a challenge to photograph and get right....not saying I got it right but I think I came close. Never photographed a proof coin with deep mirror fields....wow, what a pain. Those darn mirror fields reflect EVERYTHING!!! I only went through the pain because it is a cool coin. There were only 375 produced and I have two of them....a family member went there in 2005 and brought them back for me. Funny thing about supply & demand. In the United States, a coin with only 375 minted would have a price through the freakin' roof.....I understand these have a full retail value of about $125.....but good luck finding someone willing to pay $60 each for them. image

Greg

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Keyman I can come pretty close on all fronts there...1875 gold dollar, 400 minted...and yes the price was through the roof! And, it is is a challenge to photograph also. Seems just when I get the colors/reflections where I want them *ugh* slab glare! What whas your trick for doing the deep pool black fields? The image looks great BTW

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Ambro. That $1 is cool.

As for the photography.....
    Nikon D300, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro Lens stacked with 2x Teleconverter & a 1.4x Teleconverter. Images were recorded with a custom White Balance for the color of modeling lights on my Alien Bees 320ws strobe that I used as constant light...never used the strobe, just used the modeling lamps. I had the strobe mounted a little higher than the camera and slightly off to the right on a light stand. I had the camera mounted on another tripod and I used a remote trigger for the camera so I would not have to deal with camera shake when pressing the button. Everything was done near my eye level. I stood the coins up against some books on a book shelf....no reason to kill myself and break my back like some people think they have to do. I also draped a black fabric over everything to prevent the distracting reflections of.....EVERYTHING!....if you want the mirror to reflect black....make it do just that.

Captured at ISO 200 (not sure why I didn't use ISO 100...just not paying attention I guess...same settings from a previous day)
    f/22
    Exposure was in the neighborhood of 10 seconds depending upon the shot.

I then used Adobe Photoshop CS4 to put the final images together....and do my best at editing.

Probably way more info than you wanted...sorry. I know some people get good results with a bit of planning and a macro mode on their point and shoot cameras but I am not familiar with that. What I did was probably overkill....but I'm happy with it....although there is still a good bit of room for improvement here. The circle field just around the ship is supposed to be gold in color like Elizabeth II's Head but....I kinda screwed it up a little.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file