Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Pro Set Football Variation Question

I have been searching internet and these forums, but still can't find an answer.

I need to know how to distinguish between:

#480A-Earnest Byner
#480D-Earnest Byner

In older Beckett guides, they use to only list 3 variations--A, B, and C.

I noticed last year, that Beckett online guide added a 4th variation ("D").

Can anyone confirm what the difference is between the "A" and "D" versions? I just received 3 of this card from a purchase, and all of them are identical and do not have the "Traded" banner on the front, but I'm not sure if they are "A" or "D" versions.

Thanks if anyone can help.
I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this helps, but this is the most comprehensive thread I've seen on the subject

Linky-Doo
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I had found that thread in my search--but it failed to mention the variations for 1989 #480-Earnest Byner.

Maybe if someone has a Beckett Football Annual from the last year or so? It might describe the differences if anyone can spare a few minutes to look--I'd really appreciate the help.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I have the BIG beckett book......I can check and see if it mentions anything when I get home from work....no promises though. You have peaked my interest, and if you are chasing this set with all the variations......I salute you....good luck.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    From that thread, this seems to explain three of the variations:

Rare variations have a trade stripe on front and no "see ____ card #__" on back. Even rarer version which only a handful of copies are known has no trade stripe on front with "see ____ card #___" included on back.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Thanks for the posts and also Clint's offer to check the big Beckett.

I am not collecting the master set, but rather have numerous players in that set from my long list of player collections. Have got all the variations I need from 89 Pro Set except for a few of the Earnest Byner, and that last Gizmo Williams variation.

Thanks again.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Funny an 89 Pro Set Byner was subbed by me yesterday for the May AUTO special. I had no ideas about the variations. He is with Cleveland and their is no traded stripe on the front.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

• << <i>Thanks for the posts and also Clint's offer to check the big Beckett.

I am not collecting the master set, but rather have numerous players in that set from my long list of player collections. Have got all the variations I need from 89 Pro Set except for a few of the Earnest Byner, and that last Gizmo Williams variation.

Thanks again. >>

Hi, since I wrote the response, I'll clarify:

Byner has 4 versions. You can arrange them however you want but these are the differences:

-No Trade Banner on front, no mention of "see card number" on back (probably the most common type)
    -No Trade Banner on front, back mentions "see card number" (very rare, supposedly only issued in the executives error/variations binder)
    -With Trade Banner on front, back mentions "see card number" (the second most-common type)
    -With Trade Banner on front, no mention of "see card number" on back (very rare, issued in the executives error/var binder, but possibly in early series 3 packs as well)

I think the A B C D organization in the guides refers to the discovery time of each. A being the no TR, no see also. B being the TR, see also. C being the TR, no see also. D being the no TR, see also.

Make sense?
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
    OK, sounds like all the pieces are together now. In order to catalog the variations using the Beckett ordering, I believe jacksoncoupage is right about the order:

480A-No Trade Banner, No "see card 74" (common version)
    480B-Trade Banner and "see card 74" (common version)
    480C-Trade Banner and, No "see card 74"
    480D-No Trade Banner and "see card 74"

When Clint gets home from work and checks his Beckett Annual, hopefully he will varify this same order.

Thanks for the help.

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the posts and also Clint's offer to check the big Beckett.

Thanks again. >>

Byner has 4 versions. You can arrange them however you want but these are the differences:

-No Trade Banner on front, no mention of "see card number" on back (probably the most common type)
    -No Trade Banner on front, back mentions "see card number" (very rare, supposedly only issued in the executives error/variations binder)
    -With Trade Banner on front, back mentions "see card number" (the second most-common type)
    -With Trade Banner on front, no mention of "see card number" on back (very rare, issued in the executives error/var binder, but possibly in early series 3 packs as well)

I think the A B C D organization in the guides refers to the discovery time of each. A being the no TR, no see also. B being the TR, see also. C being the TR, no see also. D being the no TR, see also.

Make sense? >>

What is the executives err/var binder?
    Mike

• << <i>

<< <i>

Thanks again. >>

Make sense? >>

Mike >>

A set of 1989 Pro Set set in a binder handed out to Pro Set executives (and other VIPs) that includes many promos, errors and variations and "explanation" cards that explain the errors and promo/special cards (which sell for over $10 each themselves).
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks again. >>

Make sense? >>

Mike >>

A set of 1989 Pro Set set in a binder handed out to Pro Set executives (and other VIPs) that includes many promos, errors and variations and "explanation" cards that explain the errors and promo/special cards (which sell for over $10 each themselves). >>

You learn something new everyday.Do these binders ever hit the market in complete form?