1985 Donruss Basic and Master - all psa 9/10 - 9.82 GPA

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
1 1 16697412 MINT 9 1985 DONRUSS 6 DAN QUISENBERRY DIAMOND KINGS Card US
2 1 16697413 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1985 DONRUSS 485 RANCE MULLINIKS Card US
2 2 16697414 MINT 9 1985 DONRUSS 485 RANCE MULLINIKS Card US
3 1 16697415 MINT 9 1985 DONRUSS 651 TWO FOR THE TITLE YELLOW LETTERS Card US
4 1 16697416 MINT 9 1984 DONRUSS 248 DON MATTINGLY Card US
4 2 16697417 GEM MINT 10 1984 DONRUSS 248 DON MATTINGLY Card US

Not much of a sub, but Tuesday the Quisenberry dk, Mulliniks, and Mattingly/Winfield y/l in psa 9's represented the final three cards for completing my 1985 Donruss Basic and Master sets in all psa 9/10. This may be on only major baseball set in all psa 9/10 with black/colored borders with this high of a GPA. The Basic set of 660 cards is now at a 9.82 gpa, with 520 psa 10's and 140 psa 9's. The Master has 665 cards has 521/144. Since buying the bulk of this set from Carlos in Jan/Feb, I've been actively chasing down and submitting the 20+ cards needed that were psa 8 or less (plus other psa 10 upgrades along the way) to get this thing all mint/gem mint.

It has been a blast, and a bit nerve racking as well, being much more difficult to find submittable cards than the 84D set effort. Not only the black borders, but the myriad of production issues I encountered with these '85's was an eye opener.

For those who want to take a peek, check out the sets 'Summer of 85D' and 'Summer of '85D - Master' in the 1985 Donruss set registry.

On to some eye candy. I quickly scanned these cards. Sorry the scans may be overdone, but I'm not the best at getting these clear. In person, they are fantastic to look at....so enjoy!

Comments

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The nicest baseball set of the 1980's in my opinion. Even better than the 1984's. Great job finishing up!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

• << <i>The nicest baseball set of the 1980's in my opinion. Even better than the 1984's. Great job finishing up! >>

Agreed...those are good lookin' cards. I'll probably never focus on a set past '75, but still...fun to look at Bug's scans!

Bug, how tough are those in 9/10? Do the black borders cause more difficulty than you would normally see with a set that recent?
  • tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Those cards are awesome. Great Job.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your completion of the 1985 Donruss set...image

I too think it is the best looking set Donruss has ever put out...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Great job!
    This is a set that I always thought would take off someday
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    way to go bug.....when you put your mind to something you do a quality job!!!!
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bug, how tough are those in 9/10? Do the black borders cause more difficulty than you would normally see with a set that recent? >>

Yeah, the black borders (or any colored border for that matter) highlight minute corner and edge damage. From what I'm seeing you almost always need to open brand new packs/racks/factory sets, as already opened material sent in bulk normally gets damaged - and with 85's it doesn't take much. Even with new material you get corner dings, etc. I've had better success with 84D in this regard than 85D. Lots of production problems with 85's too.

Hey Al - isn't it time you start a 85D set? It'd be like old times. If you do we'll make a new 1985D thread 'official'. image
  • bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Agreed, great looking cards and great job on the set.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Always commendable to put together anything that large and modern.

Truly you have the passion.

Always have been a fan of the Puckett from this set and the black borders are a plus.

Congratulations!
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Sweet set! I agree '85D can be tough. I've subbed about a dozen from this set over the years with only 1 10. Borders are tough for sure.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 9:50PM

Reviving an old thread. Just want to let the 1985D registry folks know that this set is now up for grabs in Goldin's October Legends auction. Certainly improved upon since my first post here in 2010.

The set is 'Summer of 1985D' and I just recently opened it up for viewing (sorry, so individual scans). I have also posted it on the B/S/T board with complete set pics.