Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How to get over temptation of modern rips

I've had the habit of buying a box of modern issues and ripping them, every few weeks ill give in.
The whole time I am convinced that it's a complete waste, i've only have had fun with a few sets but for the most part it's not exciting (but I can't help but keep buying for the sake of ripping)

What has everyone done to really avoid and convince oneself not to purchase modern packs/boxes and be completely satisfied with working on vintage pickups.

All techniques and spiritual guidance is welcome.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Please let me know when you find out
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    This sounds silly, but I keep a couple of boxes of '87 Topps in my closet. When I get that rippin urge, I grab 2 or 3 packs and imagine they are from the early 60's or late 50's. I then slide through them 1 by 1 as if im looking for a major hit (Bonds, McGwire, Clark, Jackson). Then they all go right into the garbage and im satisfied till the next urge grabs me a week or 2 later. It really works.....for me.

• << <i>This sounds silly, but I keep a couple of boxes of '87 Topps in my closet. When I get that rippin urge, I grab 2 or 3 packs and imagine they are from the early 60's or late 50's. I then slide through them 1 by 1 as if im looking for a major hit (Bonds, McGwire, Clark, Jackson). Then they all go right into the garbage and im satisfied till the next urge grabs me a week or 2 later. It really works.....for me. >>

*(Bonds, McGwire, Clark, Jackson). If they go in the garbage, Just send these 4 types of cards too me!

Ryan image
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find some old Cracker Jack Boxes...they are a lot easier on the wallet!! image
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Start adding up all the money you are throwing away, and go buy a nice vintage card for the same price.

Or as an alternative when you get the urge, I would recommend organizing your collection and enjoying what you actually own, it's surprising that alot of collectors forget this part and are always looking for the next thing. It's not easy but can you imagine the collection you would have after a year, two years, five years, etc... Doing this also helps refocusing and gives you a way to get rid of the stuff that no longer holds interest and if you really need that modern auto or GU, it's much cheaper just to buy what you want anyway.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I stopped ripping a long time ago. I just now buy cards that I value and have saved a ton of money.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember I'm destitute, that usually works.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've had the habit of buying a box of modern issues and ripping them, every few weeks ill give in >>

I'll start by answering a question with a question...

Why are you buying the modern card packs/boxes?
    Mike
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've had the habit of buying a box of modern issues and ripping them, every few weeks ill give in >>

Why are you buying the modern card packs/boxes? >>

Honestly I buy the modern stuff on two factors, maybe i'll get a big hit (usually not my intention) other being maybe I'll find a deep interest for putting together these sets.
    I've tried the set building thing and in the end it doesnt make cents $. Now its just becoming a no brainer impulsive purchase just to have that nostalgia of ripping packs.

Something different ya know?

It's gotten so bad i'll find excuses to buy my kids boxes of the new topps from Target so I can watch them open packs, reward system...I dont feel as guilty about buying it for the kids.

<< <i>Start adding up all the money you are throwing away, and go buy a nice vintage card for the same price.

Or as an alternative when you get the urge, I would recommend organizing your collection and enjoying what you actually own, it's surprising that alot of collectors forget this part and are always looking for the next thing. It's not easy but can you imagine the collection you would have after a year, two years, five years, etc... Doing this also helps refocusing and gives you a way to get rid of the stuff that no longer holds interest and if you really need that modern auto or GU, it's much cheaper just to buy what you want anyway. >>

SO true, getting so caught up in the next find and addition I don't even stop and enjoy the latest purchase or what I own.

With that said, What box should I buy next...2010 Bowman? image

how much is 2010 bowman and what type of cards do you like, other than piles of modern card leftovers image
  • There is no cure, legal lottery literaly,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how much is 2010 bowman and what type of cards do you like, other than piles of modern card leftovers image >>

This year's Bowman is actually insanely expensive; I think it is because there are fewer baseball issues with only Topps putting out baseball cards, so people get much more interested in individuals issues as there is nothing else to buy.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • I just look at the hundreds of bucks I spent on 2007 Topps boxes and then look at my still incomplete set. Then I look on ebay for a factory set that costs $10.
    Problem solved.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is how you do it! I have experienced this.

Go out and buy a modern box for $500 at a local card shop that is guaranteed to be full of autographs (say, a 2006 Bowman Originals box with a guaranteed 2 autos per pack). Be sure the box has, say, a Pujols autographed rookie card pictured on the box to pull you in. Then you open the box and the BEST card you get is a Lastings Milledge autographed card. Then, to pour salt in the wound, go home and look it up and you find out that the same worthless box could have been had for $260.

I guarantee you - that scenario cures the "modern rip disease".

(I had a little extra money from a recent sale. I had never done that before and don't plan on doing it again).

Shane

• UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    I do something similar to what Gecko describes but in more of a binge fashion. Opened 4 boxes last night. 2 $11 boxes of 94 Stadium Club Football High Series with throwback uniforms and inserts I like and 2 $14 boxes of 81 Fleer Star Stickers. I often go higher quality but try to make it a once every two to three weeks type of things and keep it within a budget and of course target something where I can actually get something that I like. (87D-Maddux rookies, 89D-Griffey, etc.) I've gone higher end looking for big hits and it usually sucks from a return on investment standpoint. Maybe worth it for the thrill but that can start to get dangerous.
    Just looking through recent completed listings, 2010 Bowman hobby box sells for $60-65 or so, and the Jumbo boxes run $135.

Having no idea what interests you other than ripping modern baseball, I would take all of the following without question before a box of 2010 bowman.

Here's what around $70 or so would buy you:

1973 Clemente PSA 8
    1975 Topps Aaron PSA 8
    1962 Topps Casey Stengel PSA 8
    1960 Topps Rival All Stars Mickey Mantle & Clete Boyer PSA 7
    1952 Topps Red Schoendist PSA 5
    1970 Topps Ernie Banks PSA 8
    multiple PSA 4's of T-206's
    1952 Bowman Bobby Brown PSA 8
    1950 Bowman Bobby Brown PSA 8
    1959 Topps Tony Kubek PSA 8

For around $135 or so, you could have:

1971 Topps Aaron PSA 8
    1940 Playball Tris Speaker PSA 6
    1968 Topps Johnny Bench RC PSA 7
    1967 Topps Rod Carew RC PSA 6
    1952 Topps Ted Kluszewski PSA 6
    1933 Sport Kings Carl Hubbell PSA 2
    1963 Fleer Yaz SGC 92
    1960 Topps Mantle PSA 4
    1972 Topps Mays PSA 8.5

• WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is how you do it! I have experienced this.

Go out and buy a modern box for $500 at a local card shop that is guaranteed to be full of autographs (say, a 2006 Bowman Originals box with a guaranteed 2 autos per pack). Be sure the box has, say, a Pujols autographed rookie card pictured on the box to pull you in. Then you open the box and the BEST card you get is a Lastings Milledge autographed card. Then, to pour salt in the wound, go home and look it up and you find out that the same worthless box could have been had for $260.

(I had a little extra money from a recent sale. I had never done that before and don't plan on doing it again). >>

I love collectors who don't know what they are talking about. How about buying a 80 dollar box and pulling a card that sells for 250. It happens all the time on these
    message boards
    drewsef,

Amazing isnt it when you put it all into perspective what the same amount of modern rip money $$ can buy in vintage.

The first thing I think of after ripping modern, I think about what I could have bought!
    Just like your list...i'd take that any day.

Take for instance my purchase of of 2007 SP RC Edition and 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures boxes last week for around $140, I just lost a '51 Bowman PSA 6 Roy Campanella Dead centered when I set my snipe to $145, if both were presented to me in person it'd be a no brainer, I was suckered again by the locally hobby shop ha, ok it was my fault.

I'm always a sucker for Allen & Ginter, I can resist buying it online for cheaper but I can't resist when I see it in person at the hobby shop or at a card show, impulsive addiction.
    I just need to avoid the shops and shows and i'll be good.

I Rarely buy boxes online, so when I have a moment to rationally decide and analyze I always opt not to buy boxes.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is how you do it! I have experienced this.

(I had a little extra money from a recent sale. I had never done that before and don't plan on doing it again). >>

I love collectors who don't know what they are talking about. How about buying a 80 dollar box and pulling a card that sells for 250. It happens all the time on these
    message boards >>

What?

Why do you say I don't know what I'm talking about? I know it happened to me (even though I might should not have said that I guarantee that it would cure it for somebody else, it sure as heck cured it for me). Also, your statement about an 80 dollar box has nothing to do with my post.

I don't understand why you called me out just because I was relaying my story and trying to help the OP out. I'm really confused on that.

Shane

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    When I was about 10-11 at a show I bought a vintage (PreWar) card for the first time, never wanted or cared for modern cards after that.

Maybe it might work for you.

Last time I opened a pack of cards, I most likely got the $$ by raiding a fountain in the shopping center and going to Walgreens and slapped down 75 cents for 3 packs, and then rode home on my Mongoose with 3 slabs of hard gum in my mouth.
  • ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>how much is 2010 bowman and what type of cards do you like, other than piles of modern card leftovers image >>

This year's Bowman is actually insanely expensive; I think it is because there are fewer baseball issues with only Topps putting out baseball cards, so people get much more interested in individuals issues as there is nothing else to buy. >>

Reason 1) Steven Strasburg

Reason 2) Starling Castro auto

Reason 3) Steven Strasburg image

Reason 4) It's loaded

But ya, it's really gotten higher as more it gets close to the release date.

To the OP, I love ripping Chrome, so not much I can tell you as to how to not do it heh

But if you want your goal to be increasing your collection of older stars, then have a list of your top 5 or 10 cards that are in your 3-4 month range. If you can afford $100 per month as a budget, then the max should be a $300 card. Focus on that. Sell the modern stuff and add to your budget to obtain your wish list item sooner. Once you scratch one off, replace with another card.

To me it's fun ripping BC and enjoying the big hits, waiting for the guys to reach AAA or a call-up and then selling. The vintage is always out there and the prices don't really move that much. If I don't get a 1958 Al Kaline this year, I can always get it next year for how much more? Less? With modern, I can rip a box and sell a $300 card immediately, or hold it for a few months or a year and it's a $500 card, then sell and buy more boxes. I get more boxes than with my initial cost, so the cards pay for themselves.

Hrmm, I'm probably not helping you that much at this point . . . Sorry for digressing, but good luck!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

This year's Bowman is actually insanely expensive; I think it is because there are fewer baseball issues with only Topps putting out baseball cards, so people get much more interested in individuals issues as there is nothing else to buy. >>

Reason 1) Steven Strasburg

Reason 2) Starling Castro auto

Reason 3) Steven Strasburg image

Reason 4) It's loaded

But ya, it's really gotten higher as more it gets close to the release date.

To the OP, I love ripping Chrome, so not much I can tell you as to how to not do it heh

But if you want your goal to be increasing your collection of older stars, then have a list of your top 5 or 10 cards that are in your 3-4 month range. If you can afford $100 per month as a budget, then the max should be a $300 card. Focus on that. Sell the modern stuff and add to your budget to obtain your wish list item sooner. Once you scratch one off, replace with another card.

To me it's fun ripping BC and enjoying the big hits, waiting for the guys to reach AAA or a call-up and then selling. The vintage is always out there and the prices don't really move that much. If I don't get a 1958 Al Kaline this year, I can always get it next year for how much more? Less? With modern, I can rip a box and sell a $300 card immediately, or hold it for a few months or a year and it's a $500 card, then sell and buy more boxes. I get more boxes than with my initial cost, so the cards pay for themselves.

Hrmm, I'm probably not helping you that much at this point . . . Sorry for digressing, but good luck!!! >>

Please do tell me what boxes you buy, how much they cost, and tell me why everyone isn't doing that? I would like to hear that you actually have a track record of making money off ripping modern boxes time after time and it is always or nearly always a success. I'm ready to drop 10K right now if you have actual proof of this working and how long you have been doing that.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why are you buying the modern card packs/boxes? >>

Honestly I buy the modern stuff on two factors, maybe i'll get a big hit (usually not my intention) other being maybe I'll find a deep interest for putting together these sets.
    I've tried the set building thing and in the end it doesnt make cents $. Now its just becoming a no brainer impulsive purchase just to have that nostalgia of ripping packs.

Something different ya know?

It's gotten so bad i'll find excuses to buy my kids boxes of the new topps from Target so I can watch them open packs, reward system...I dont feel as guilty about buying it for the kids. >>

My next question - which do you like more? The new, shiny stuff or the vintage - say pre-70?
    Mike
  • byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Go to a show and pick up a late 80s/early 90s box for $5-$10 and bust it to get over the busting craze. I like the post about buying a $500 box and getting a fraction of your money back in singles. I think on many message boards, people are quick to show off their awesome breaks and show the big pulls they got but when they get a dog of a box, then you don't hear about it so you think that a certain product is a great one to open when really, it isn't as great. No product is perfect though. I've heard that this year's Bowman doesn't have as many parallels as in the past (not sure if that's true) so I guess my advice is to research before sinking too much in.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just looking through recent completed listings, 2010 Bowman hobby box sells for $60-65 or so, and the Jumbo boxes run $135.

Having no idea what interests you other than ripping modern baseball, I would take all of the following without question before a box of 2010 bowman.

Here's what around $70 or so would buy you:

1973 Clemente PSA 8
    1975 Topps Aaron PSA 8
    1962 Topps Casey Stengel PSA 8
    1960 Topps Rival All Stars Mickey Mantle & Clete Boyer PSA 7
    1952 Topps Red Schoendist PSA 5
    1970 Topps Ernie Banks PSA 8
    multiple PSA 4's of T-206's
    1952 Bowman Bobby Brown PSA 8
    1950 Bowman Bobby Brown PSA 8
    1959 Topps Tony Kubek PSA 8

For around $135 or so, you could have:

1971 Topps Aaron PSA 8
    1940 Playball Tris Speaker PSA 6
    1968 Topps Johnny Bench RC PSA 7
    1967 Topps Rod Carew RC PSA 6
    1952 Topps Ted Kluszewski PSA 6
    1933 Sport Kings Carl Hubbell PSA 2
    1963 Fleer Yaz SGC 92
    1960 Topps Mantle PSA 4
    1972 Topps Mays PSA 8.5 >>

I am with you, I would rather buy quality than gamble. It is just me, but I have been burned too many times.
  • tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I wait until my sub arrives in hand to check grading results and have my own live rip. It is much more exciting than busting wax as I know what I am getting, just not the grades. If you have the patience, you should try it.
  • Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    I suffered the same affliction as you throwing away a couple hundred a month more for the entertainment of the rip and the chase...at least more so than the results which more times than not puts you on the losing end. But it's those few moments when you truly hit it big that keep you coming back. Well, I finally found a cure...

I started my own group break club. It started out slowly but I did it for this exact reason. Everyone pitches in some money and I break it on Youtube. I get to satisfy that urge to rip (at the highest level possible!) yet it still only costs me about $230 a month. Each month we're up to about $7,000 in wax boxes and I still pay around what I was paying before. It's more than cured the itch as I have very little time to rip my own stuff now.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Walt yeah look at those rip threads you are in and how many people are complaining about the

1. Lack of hits
    2. Hits being worthless
    3. Companies not putting the players into the product they said they would.
    4. Good hits not selling for what the box was worth

Its a lottery and you will lose more often then win. The idea is its for fun and you "might" hit a great card.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set