Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone read about the drunk Phillies fan who vomited on a girl?

SHOCKING, I KNOW!!!

PHILADELPHIA -- A New Jersey man is facing charges after police say he intentionally vomited on an 11-year-old girl and her father in the stands during a Philadelphia Phillies game.

Twenty-one-year-old Matthew Clemmens, of Cherry Hill, N.J., was arraigned Friday on charges stemming from his behavior at Wednesday night's Phillies-Nationals game.

Police say Clemmens made himself vomit on an off-duty police captain and his daughter after a companion was kicked out of Citizens Bank Park for unruly behavior, which included cursing, spitting and spilling beer by Clemmens and a friend.

According to an account in the Philadelphia Daily News, Clemmens and his friend were asked by the 15-year-old daughter of Easton police Capt. Michael Vangelo to stop cursing and spitting. A short while later, Vangelo said, it started again.

"One guy started spitting ... first it landed on the back of my daughter's chair. Then it landed on her hooded sweatshirt," Vangelo said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

After Vangelo reported the incident to stadium officials, Clemmens' friend was led out of the stadium. At that point, Vangelo said Clemmens said he would be sick and "put two fingers down his throat."

He then "leaned forward and started vomiting on us," Vangelo said, according to the Daily News.

Philadelphia police say Clemmens also punched Vangelo and vomited on an arresting officer.

"It reminds you of the type of behavior you used to hear about at the 700 level in Veterans Stadium," Philadelphia police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore said, according to the Daily News.

Vangelo told the Daily News he didn't hit Clemmens because "I kept thinking, 'If I get arrested, my kids will be alone here.'"

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that Clemmens is being held on $36,000 bail on three complaints containing 15 counts of the different offenses.

"I was just a dad with my kids enjoying a game," Vangelo said, according to the Daily News. "I never experienced anything like that before."

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure that guy is the hottest fat chick in lock up.
  • Options
    The pic of this "vomitor" is even on the Drudge Report!

With this story link..........

Cops: Man Purposely Vomited On Girl At Phils GamePHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ¯ Suspect Matthew Clemmens is accused of purposely vomiting on a young girl at the Phillies game April 14.

Police arrested a New Jersey man after he was accused of intentionally vomiting on a young girl at the Phillies game Wednesday evening.

The young girl's father, trying to give his daughters an unforgettable night at the ballpark, ended up getting a memory he wishes he could forget.

Captain Michael Vangelo, with the Easton Police Department, was off-duty when he took his 11 and 15-year-old daughters to the Phillies game Wednesday night.

"When I say disgusting, there was not only insults and vulgarities directed at us, but also beer was thrown at us," Vangelo told Eyewitness News.

Unfortunately, the evening only got worse.

"I actually heard the individual behind me say, 'I'm gonna get sick', then I couldn't believe what I saw. He actually had his fingers down his mouth and into his throat to make himself vomit. He vomited and lurched forward and it was hitting my daughter," Vangelo explained.

Police identified that individual as 21-year-old Matthew Clemmens from Cherry Hill, New Jersey.

According to Vangelo, Clemmens and friends were sitting behind them and appeared to be drunk. One of them was even thrown out of the game earlier for unruly behavior. The vomiting upset and scared Vangelo's 11-year-old daughter.

"She was crying and that's difficult to see as a dad," Vangelo said.

So Vangelo stepped in and with help from fellow fans, held Clemmens down until police arrived. The Vangelos thought the night had been completely ruined.

"But a great fan caught a ball and he gave it to my daughter. She slept with the ball last night and when I woke her up this morning for school, the ball was still in her hand," Vangelo explained.

Clemmens' uncle David spoke to Eyewitness News and maintained that his nephew is not a monster.

"He's not a bad kid. He's your average 21-year-old kid."

David offered up a different version of the incident.

"He may have had a few beers and got sick and basically put his hand over his mouth and accidentally puked on the wrong individual."

Bonnie Clark, Phillies Vice President of Communications, released a statement that read: "We are sorry that the officer and his daughters were subject to such treatment by a fan. We have reached out to them to express our concerns personally."

Clemmens was arraigned early Friday morning on charges of simple assault, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, harassment, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Clemmens remains behind bars after being unable to post his $12,000 bail.
  • Options
    <<< Clemmens' uncle David >>>

<<< Clemmens remains behind bars after being unable to post his $12,000 bail. >>>

His Uncle David publicly vouches for him with Eyewitness News, but I guess doesn't think enough of him to put up a $1,200 bail bond to get him out of jail.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

It's a shame this isn't as well broadcasted as the vomitter'

"But a great fan caught a ball and he gave it to my daughter. She slept with the ball last night and when I woke her up this morning for school, the ball was still in her hand," Vangelo explained.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another typical day at a Philly ballgame..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Just another typical day at a Philly ballgame.. >>

You're just lucky the Phils are playing fantastic, and I'm jubilant and in a good mood...or I would get quite angry over that comment.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    what an *ss

i hope he does time for it
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Absolutely disgusting. I'm so glad the Philly fans gave him what he deserved.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have got a work out that night. I probably would have been the one to get arrested for beating up the vomiter.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Hey it beats CitiField where the Mets are making thousands throw up in their own mouths night after night. image
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You're just lucky the Phils are playing fantastic, and I'm jubilant and in a good mood...or I would get quite angry over that comment.

image >>

Isn't this the same city where Santa got beat up with snowballs? At least here in Cleveland they threw beer bottles at the players and refs after a game....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Isn't this the same city where Santa got beat up with snowballs? At least here in Cleveland they threw beer bottles at the players and refs after a game.... >>

Batteries are preferred - they can be thrown farther and have better stopping power when striking the target.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a simple question-

Where are the Philadelphia Lawyers? imageimageimage

Or is there a conflict of interest?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    All this talk about Philly and Philly fans and no one has noted that the guy is from Jersey. I'm shocked.
  • Options

<< <i>All this talk about Philly and Philly fans and no one has noted that the guy is from Jersey. I'm shocked. >>

...and likely born and raised in New York.