Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

ungradeable - miscut

I'm sure many of you have gotten cards sent back ungraded with the designation Miscut. I got one as well. In my particular case, it appears that the card is slightly larger than normal. Has anyone ever tried to cut one of these cards back down to the correct size and successfully resubmit?

Comments

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure many of you have gotten cards sent back ungraded with the designation Miscut. I got one as well. In my particular case, it appears that the card is slightly larger than normal. Has anyone ever tried to cut one of these cards back down to the correct size and successfully resubmit? >>

That's known as "trimming" and is one of the most unforgivable sins in the hobby. If you are contemplating doing this, I recommend you reconsider. Merely suggesting it could destroy your reputation in the card-collecting community.
    Brett
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three things you probably never, EVER want to get caught doing...

#1 Tug on Superman's cape.

#2 Spit into the wind.

#3 Trim baseball cards.

Really not cool.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Go ahead a take a pair of scissors and take that extra off. Try to get at least a quarter inch just to make sure you get enough. Then resubmit the card to PSA. That should do the trick for you.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    The answer to your question is "YES" as it is attempted all the time, it is frowned upon by anyone with dignity in the hobby; that being said . . . you choose your path in life.
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Why does it not surprise me that a new member from the 'Bu contemplate trimming a card?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll do better by selling it on ebay with the words "slightly oversized" in the title. The trimmers salivate over cards like that.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

I am aware of the perils of trimming a card and it is not something I would normally contemplate attempting. Since this is a card that has already been "rejected," how would trying to get it to the correct size be making it worse? Nevertheless I will not pursue it.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Thank you everyone for your replies.

I am aware of the perils of trimming a card and it is not something I would normally contemplate attempting. Since this is a card that has already been "rejected," how would trying to get it to the correct size be making it worse? Nevertheless I will not pursue it. >>

Because it is intentionally altering a card from its manufactured state. Aside from the relative ease and success rate, its no different than attempting to glue some more matching stock to one end of a card to fix a miscut. Sadly, some cards just aren't gradeable based on how they left the factory.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    PM sent. Thanks.
    Cardboard Zombie
    Always buying perfect 1986 Fleer Basketball PSA 10 cards and 1982 OPC Nolan Ryan cards. Thank you.