Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

RB and BN Lincolns - Top Pop??

Is there general agreement that top pop honors only go to coins with the red designation. Or do top RB and top BN coins count too? If not officially then what about just chatting around the boards, are there honors for top color designations?

My most recent lincoln submission had some top RB/BN color coins and that's why I'm asking, to come clean.
Thank you for any opinions.
Jeff
I'd like my copper well done please!

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not 100% sure what you're asking. Of course a top pop BN or RB coin has none finer within the color designation, but of course, the top honors usually go to the coin with the most registry points. That's why the 1/0 PR67RB 1916 cent gets beaten out by the 3/0 PR66RD cents in the registry.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Good point Matt, I guess I'm asking more of a semantics question than a question about the registry. Because only copper has the color designations I wondered RB or BN coins are referred to as top pops or not in casual conversation. Maybe it's just a dumb question, and I'm good at asking those!
    Jeff
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    A coin is still a Top Pop for the color designation IMO. I crossed this coin from an NGC 66RB holder to PCGS in the same grade and it was/is still a POP 1/0 as far as I know.

• Options

<< <i>A coin is still a Top Pop for the color designation IMO. I crossed this coin from an NGC 66RB holder to PCGS in the same grade and it was/is still a POP 1/0 as far as I know.

>>

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen two of the three 1916 cents in Proof 66 red and I feel the 1916 in PR 67 R/B is a finer coin IMO.

Stewart Blay

Nice 1913 in MS 66 R/B
  • Options

<< <i>Nice 1913 in MS 66 R/B
    Stewart Blay >>

Thanks Stewart. image

Hind sight being 20/20, should have kept my low pop Lincolns. image

Was NGC 67RB, POP 1/0. Now PCGS 2/0:

Didn't cross:

Cross from NGC 64BN:
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice 11-d AND 15-s!
  • Options
    Colorful Lincolns are always a sight to behold!

Garrow
  • Options
    This PCGS67RB Pop 2/0 is the reason I started this thread. The photos don't show the rose red color toning that has formed on the coat and hair of lincoln very well, and probably explains the RB designation. I was struck by this coin sitting in a Wayte Raymond holder with a bunch of more heavily toned pieces. I didn't expect it to 67RB but I just liked the deep lava red and wanted it in a holder.
  • Options

<< <i>This PCGS67RB Pop 2/0 is the reason I started this thread. The photos don't show the rose red color toning that has formed on the coat and hair of lincoln very well, and probably explains the RB designation. I was struck by this coin sitting in a Wayte Raymond holder with a bunch of more heavily toned pieces. I didn't expect it to 67RB but I just liked the deep lava red and wanted it in a holder.
    image >>

Very Nice! image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect copper, but if I did, I would do it in RB and BN. I love the look of the toned copper coins. And you don't have to worry about them turning on you.

And to answer the op question, yes they should count. Just like the NO BAND dimes in high grade. Red is just toooo expensive. Just like those Bands!
  • Options

Here are a couple of top pops that reside in my set (Pennies From Heaven):

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, a couple of real pretty Lincolns.

I bet they would cost a lot more in full red! And wouldn't have the look of these!
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    I have several RB and BN Lincolns and no one is disputing that they can be amazing and unique. Having said that, to answer the OP question, if I were describing or selling a top pop RB that I own, I would definatly mention the RD population that is higher. You may not agree or like the prices, but there is a reason for the demand.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice 1913 in MS 66 R/B
    Stewart Blay >>

Thanks Stewart. image

Hind sight being 20/20, should have kept my low pop Lincolns. image >>

Lee,

Those are a few seriously beautiful coins. Tortuga, as well!

Here's my Pop 1-0 1909 plain Lincoln (although I realize it's in the 'wrong' holder for many). Bob did a great job of catching some tough color and luster.

Duane

• Options
    Duaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane, there she is. Great pics of a great coin!

• Options

Thanks for the kind words, Dimeman.

Duane, you have a killer 1909. Top knotch!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. How about this one. PCGS 1942 PR65 BN Pop 1-0. Yup - a brown! image I guess we just don't see too many brown coins that tone this vibrantly. In hand it's a little darker than the photo, but still mesmerizes me. Enjoy.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here a couple of top pop 67RB's. The first is a 1/0 ('56). The second is a 24/0 ('41-D)...PCGS was too forgiving of the planchet roughness on the reverse and the less than attractive toning.
    Lance.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

WoW!

There are some jaw droppers in this treadimage
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    my only 67RB, ex. Lee G. coin

"It is what it is."
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beauty Jon. Lee had a bunch of great Lincoln's.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a beauty Jon. Lee had a bunch of great Lincoln's. >>

agreed. I just wish I would have purchased more image

Jeff needs to post that 1945 he got from Lee, that coin is amazing but I'm not sure if it's a top pop, but it should be image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff needs to post that 1945 he got from Lee, that coin is amazing but I'm not sure if it's a top pop, but it should be image >>

Was a POP 2/0 when I owned it.
  • Options
    That's the one! That's my favorite toned Lincoln, period. image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>Cool 1909, Duane!!! image >>

Thank you. There is lots of pretty copper in this string image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both RB and RD have their place. Collect what you like and to hell with everyone else's opinion.
    Doug