Home U.S. Coin Forum

AU58 Franklin set - ballpark price??

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
Debating wanting to do this as an intro into Franklins - currently have 0. Any experts have a ballpark opinion on what I could expect to pay for a straight year/MM set?? Not all at once, unless that would be cheaper, but piece by couple pieces.

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking to do this raw or slabbed?
    Franklin prices are low enough that I wouldn't go AU unless you found some killer ones (the AU58/MS64 type of them).

I would shoot for MS63/64 (many with FBLs) which don't carry much of a premium in many of the dates.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was shooting slabbed.

If the price difference between 58-63/4 is miniscule-ish then I'd shoot for the better coins, but I'd like them all slabbed the same.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you would like them certified by PCGS and/or NGC then you will likely have to submit many of the coins for yourself since there aren't all that many PCGS or NGC certified AU58 Franklin halves floating around to be had.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you would like them certified by PCGS and/or NGC then you will likely have to submit many of the coins for yourself since there aren't all that many PCGS or NGC certified AU58 Franklin halves floating around to be had. >>

Yep...not worth it, pricewise, when the delta between the AU and MS63/64 is a few bucks. (and the AU price is only a bit over melt for some).
    Then, when you submit, good luck getting AU58 instead of AU55 or MS62/63 maybe image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>If you would like them certified by PCGS and/or NGC then you will likely have to submit many of the coins for yourself since there aren't all that many PCGS or NGC certified AU58 Franklin halves floating around to be had. >>

That was part of my challenge thinking. Short numbers on that grade.

Outside of that, say a 63 set, no Buggs or FBL or vams or whatnots, just a straight set - any thoughts on price? I've seen some sub $400 figures for raw, that seem about right? Couple hundred more for slabbed? Or am I way off???
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those sort of coins you'd be adding more expense/premium by having them slabbed then the differential between a 58 and a 63 is worth. Buy them raw. Get a couple of grading books and learn the difference. There are 35 date/mm in the series. Basically from 1957 on (14 date/mm) there is a difference of just a couple of dollars between a 58 and a 63. Start learning how to grade on these, so if you screw up it doesn't matter. Most of the other date/mm you're looking at a difference of AT MOST ten dollars, so again it really doesn't matter. The only ones that you might want to get slabbed (in MS63) are the 1949-51 run and the 1952-S (9 date/mm). That's where the majority of the money you will spend on the set will be. Depending on what you're looking for (AU58-MS63) you should be able to put together a set from the low side of $500 to under $1,000.
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>

Outside of that, say a 63 set, no Buggs or FBL or vams or whatnots, just a straight set - any thoughts on price? I've seen some sub $400 figures for raw, that seem about right? Couple hundred more for slabbed? Or am I way off??? >>

$400 sounds about ballpark.
    So, after knowledge here, I'm leaning now towards either a raw set or a 63 set. Although now a mix slab run is running around in my head now. Urgh.

Maybe I'll put up the flag on the BST for any AU58s folks got stuck with and want to get rid of and see what surfaces.

Thanks for the insight folks, much appreciated.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Realistically a AU-53, AU-58 set from 1934 forward is possible without breaking the bank. The 1938-D is the highest priced Walker for the later years.

The stopper coins are the 1921-S and the 1921-D These two years command a significant investment (up to 6 figures) and I think lowering your sights for the entire run of the early years is in order.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • I've been looking into Franklins also, and you might want to consider proof. There was a nice article in a recent Coins magazine about it.
    Currently collecting Morgan Dollars and Seated Liberty Halves
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that the PCGS price guide as good starter info for these types of questions as I have thought about building diferent set over time.

Info on Franklins sets at the top.
    PCGS No Description Desig 12 40 55 60 62 63 64 65 66 67
    Complete Set - Date MS 155 155 189 225 268 338 558 1,365 7,065 -
    Complete Set - Date FBL - - - 409 500 602 1,090 £3,265 £23,935 -
    Complete Set-Date & Mint Mark MS 326 358 499 619 746 961 1,484 4,450 24,425 -
    Complete Set-Date & Mint Mark FBL - - - 1,108 1,598 3,608 ¥12,842 £31,495 £131,830 -

The info did not cut and paste very well but I think you get the idea somebody already figured it out.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now for the second Half of buiding the set in AU58 several of the years in the mid 1950's have less than 15 coins graded at AU for the year this info from the PCGS population report.
    And a quick check of Ebay and I only found one PCGS AU58 coin listed with no other AU coins listed.
    So if a person was thinking about building it as a Everyman set of all PCGS AU58 coins cost may not be the stopper finding the coins in the grade wanted might be the biggest challenge.
  • IwantNonCCsIwantNonCCs Posts: 369 ✭✭
    I was building a set of PCGS AU58s when Everyman started.
    Had 25 of the 35.
    Suddenly, prices shot up.
    Became obvious I would either have to pay to play or take advantage of the situation.
    Chose the latter.

I believe you can build a complete set in PCGS MS64 one at a time on ebay CHEAPER than you
    could build a PCGS AU58 set. And it would take less time.

Does anybody have a slabbed lowball set completed? I'd love to see it.

A 64 set cheaper than a 58, now that's good stuff.

And thanks for the guide figures LindeDad
  • FrozeninkFrozenink Posts: 446 ✭✭
    I have started a MS64 FBL PCGS set. I am a little more than half way done. Some years a difficult and expensive, but if you look hard enough most can be had from $20-45 pretty easily.

The proof set on the other hand is alot tougher in my eyes.

So my recommendation is start a 63fbl set so we are not fighting over coins. image

Gary
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a thought,
    go for a non fbl set
    in

just go slower with your purchases

the 63, and 64 are extremely available
    and common

the 65s are somewhat rarer, and obviously better looking

just a thought
    LCoopie = Les

<< <i>just a thought,
    go for a non fbl set
    in

just go slower with your purchases

the 63, and 64 are extremely available
    and common

the 65s are somewhat rarer, and obviously better looking

just a thought >>

Ah!!!A challange!And well worth the effort!Why would anyone want a less than high grade set?
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The earlier branch mints (say 1948-54) may be more available in slabbed AU58 than later issues. Many of the later ones may require you to "roll your own" and submit yourself, because the pops on some of them will be very low and if other collectors have the same goal than they may be bidding way more than the coin is really worth just to get one already slabbed in that grade.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your idea of an AU58 set has merit, but as mentioned, it wouldn't be worth the expense of slabbing them. Just go with a Dansco album or something like that.

Of course you could go for an MS63-64 set in plastic, and play the Registry, even, but then you're just a medium-sized fish in a large pond, at best. The AU58 angle gives you a niche- it's the road less traveled. I am always a fan of the road less traveled, personally.

(Edited for the usual typos.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Outside of that, say a 63 set, no Buggs or FBL or vams or whatnots, just a straight set - any thoughts on price? I've seen some sub $400 figures for raw, that seem about right? Couple hundred more for slabbed? Or am I way off??? >>

$400 sounds about ballpark. >>

Are you kidding? Tell me you're kidding!

Ballpark price would be around $2,000 if not higher!

Have you priced their hotdogs and beer?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Ask MadMarty if he still has all the AU58 Franklin's he made.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you kidding? Tell me you're kidding!

Ballpark price would be around $2,000 if not higher! >>

If I hadn't stopped working on my AU-58 type set prior to it, the Everyman registry set would have stopped me cold because of what it's done to pricing.
    Just ordered up a handful of raw ones. We'll see what floats the boat for my slab hunting once they arrive.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    You can get 64s and 65s for less than $30 for most dates why bother with circ coins?

<< <i>You can get 64s and 65s for less than $30 for most dates why bother with circ coins? >>

Some grading reference material vs slabs, gifts for the neices/nephews, pocket piece.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ask MadMarty if he still has all the AU58 Franklin's he made. >>

I can't believe MadMarty has not posted here, must be working a deal via "private treaty"----------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

$400 sounds about ballpark. >>

Are you kidding? Tell me you're kidding!

Ballpark price would be around $2,000 if not higher!

Have you priced their hotdogs and beer? >>

Nope!----19 Lyds!

<< <i>

<< <i>Ask MadMarty if he still has all the AU58 Franklin's he made. >>

I can't believe MadMarty has not posted here, must be working a deal via "private treaty"----------------------------------BigE >>

... no contact so far.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file