Home Precious Metals
Options

1/4 oz gold eagles part of APMEX "weekend special" on Eagles

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
1/4 ounce GAE's 24.95 over spot @ APMEX...... My newbie PM eyes are liking this. Any thoughts?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Decent deal at 9% over melt. Especially if you are looking for a smallish quantity (5 or 10 coins). But I think it really illustrates just how overpriced they are at APMEX when they arent part of a featured sale!
  • Options
    MELT is my nemesis early on in my infantile PM endeavors. I do not have a handle on this to be confident in what I am buying in regards to melt vs spot vs premiums. Which is why I have purchased just a small amount of .999 silver at this time.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apmex email notification:

Now through Monday, March 8, 2010, at 12:00 p.m. (CST) or while supplies last, order any quantity of these investment-grade bullion coins and get fixed-premium pricing, no matter how many coins you purchase!

Save on the following:
    2010 1 oz. Silver American Eagles - just $2.49 per ounce over spot
    2009 1/10 oz. Gold American Eagles - just $14.95 per coin over spot
    2009 1/4 oz. Gold American Eagles - just $24.95 per coin over spot
    2009 1/2 oz. Gold American Eagles - just $34.95 per coin over spot
    2010 1 oz. Gold American Eagles - just $49.95 per ounce over spot

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MELT is my nemesis early on in my infantile PM endeavors. I do not have a handle on this to be confident in what I am buying in regards to melt vs spot vs premiums. Which is why I have purchased just a small amount of silver at this time.

melt = spot

1 oz @ melt = 1 oz @ spot

A premium is charged to cover the refining, fabrication & distribution costs.

Silver Eagle premiums are higher than generic round premiums because of the quality and name recognition which guarantees the purity (assay).

Premiums vary with quantity. They also vary with the market - whether the market is strong or weak, and whether the market is going up or down.

Premiums vary with local supply & demand conditions, and they vary from dealer to dealer, based on their current cost structure and inventories.

Premiums on Gold Eagles are higher for the smaller denominations because of the fabrication & distribution costs, and likewise they are less expensive (per ounce) for the larger coins, and in larger quantities.

Smaller denominations = more divisible = higher per ounce premiums.

You pay higher premiums when buying, but generally you get higher premiums back when selling (if you have a fair buyer). So, premiums are not the only consideration. The Buy-Sell spread is always worth noting when you are ready to transact, whether buying or selling.

Hope that helps, some.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    their shipping price is what truly stinks....
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melt does not equal spot. Melt is the value of the precious metal in a coin or ingot. The heavier the item, the greater the melt value.

The simple formula is: Melt = spot x net wt. of the item.

At $1,000 gold,
    melt on a sovereign is $1,000 x .2354 or $235.40
    melt on a 20 franc is $1,000 x .1867 or $186.70
    melt on a 50 pesos is $1,000 x 1.2057 or $1,205.70
    melt on a U.S. $20 is $1,000 x .9675 or $967.50

etc. All you need to know is the current spot and the net weight, sometimes expressed as Actual Gold Weight (AGW) or Actual Silver Weight (ASW).

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This could turn into to the AU disscussion is it about unc or almost unc. We all know it's either unc or circulated so there no such thing as about unc if it's circulated. Both ways are used and have been all the years I've collected but the technical guys always cry it's about unc only.

Melt has always been interchanged with spot. No matter if it's 1 oz or a pound if someone is going to sell at melt your getting it for spot. The english language chages over time, now lets go get a coke.image
  • Options

<< <i>This could turn into to the AU disscussion is it about unc or almost unc. We all know it's either unc or circulated so there no such thing as about unc if it's circulated. Both ways are used and have been all the years I've collected but the technical guys always cry it's about unc only.

Melt has always been interchanged with spot. No matter if it's 1 oz or a pound if someone is going to sell at melt your getting it for spot. The english language chages over time, now lets go get a coke.image >>

So, you will cheerfully sell me your Mexican 50 Pesos at "Spot," and buy my sovereigns at the same price?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This could turn into to the AU disscussion is it about unc or almost unc. We all know it's either unc or circulated so there no such thing as about unc if it's circulated. Both ways are used and have been all the years I've collected but the technical guys always cry it's about unc only.

Melt has always been interchanged with spot. No matter if it's 1 oz or a pound if someone is going to sell at melt your getting it for spot. The english language chages over time, now lets go get a coke.image >>

So, you will cheerfully sell me your Mexican 50 Pesos at "Spot," and buy my sovereigns at the same price?

image >>

It looks like APMEX will they use it both ways tooimage Rookies...who would have thunk.....

http://www.apmex.com/Category/158/Gold_Coins_from_Europe_Most_Common.aspx

Austria / Hungary 100 Corona Gold Coin - Brilliant Uncirculated
    As low as $19.95 over spot per coin!
    (Gold Content = .9802 oz) (Years of our choice) Limited to stock on hand.... More | Buy Price

There in big troulbe now.................get em.
  • Options
    Weiss and I got into a little argument over this very topic last year. Like Tom and I have said, MELT is not the same as SPOT.

Spot is a term that ONLY describes the PER OUNCE value of a metal at any given point in time.

Melt is a term that ONLY describes the ACTUAL METAL VALUE (based on current spot price) of a given object.

Clear enough?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Weiss and I got into a little argument over this very topic last year. Like Tom and I have said, MELT is not the same as SPOT.

Spot is a term that ONLY describes the PER OUNCE value of a metal at any given point in time.

Melt is a term that ONLY describes the ACTUAL METAL VALUE (based on current spot price) of a given object.

Clear enough? >>

But, if you are talking about Krugerrands or AGE's, aren't melt and spot the same thing?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Weiss and I got into a little argument over this very topic last year. Like Tom and I have said, MELT is not the same as SPOT.

Clear enough? >>

But, if you are talking about Krugerrands or AGE's, aren't melt and spot the same thing?image >>

If you are talking about 1 ounce K-Rands or AGE's you can "get away with it". However, since the word "spot" refers to the price of a particular metal, and NOT a particular object (such as a coin, bar, or necklace), its still the wrong word to use. If you remember that "spot" is in reference to the current per ounce price of a metal, and that "melt" value is in reference to an object's actual intrinsic worth, you simply cannot confuse the 2 terms. They mean totally different things.
  • Options
    To make this all absolutely perfectly clear to all of you, lets use the following example. After reading this, anyone who thought the 2 words were synonomous will slap themselves on the forhead and go "DOH"!

Hypothetical call on the phone to a dealer:

Me: Hi, got any 1/4oz AGEs in stock?

Him: Sure, how many do you want?

Me: Depends on the price...if you can do $50 over spot, i'll take them all.

Him: Come on in, I have 40 coins for you at $50 over spot.

Now an hour later I walk into the coin shop with my cash and the dealer says its not enough! What happened?

Because we used incorrect terminology, the dealer assumed I wanted to pay spot + $50 per coin. That would be $1136/4 = $284 + $50 = $334 per coin.
    I meant that I wanted to spend $50 over spot PER OUNCE. So I was expecting to pay $1136 + $50 = $1186/4 = $296.50.

Now, had we both used correct terminology in the 1st place....if I had said I wanted to pay $12.50 over melt.....we wouldnt have had this misunderstanding.

So you see, the terms spot and melt only work together if strictly talking about 1 ounce pieces. And even then, the term "melt" works absolutely fine. On sizes other than exactly 1oz, confusion may set in if you try to use the 2 words as the same.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The simple formula is: Melt = spot x net wt. of the item.

At $1,000 gold,
    melt on a sovereign is $1,000 x .2354 or $235.40
    melt on a 20 franc is $1,000 x .1867 or $186.70
    melt on a 50 pesos is $1,000 x 1.2057 or $1,205.70
    melt on a U.S. $20 is $1,000 x .9675 or $967.50

etc. All you need to know is the current spot and the net weight, sometimes expressed as Actual Gold Weight (AGW) or Actual Silver Weight (ASW).

Thank you for the correction. Although we were talking about AGEs which are readily equated to spot, most older coins are not.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    A lot of these terms have been attempted to be cleaned up since the TPG's. You best know what an old time collector is taking about when one says almost unc instead of about unc, which the guys coining that term were poor in english. Same way with spot vs melt, most people identify spot as the base price of gold and if your in the bussines your can be techincal correct but piss a lot of folks off even though you both have a meeting of the minds. I bet you ask David Hall what a commeriacl unc is many collectors since the TPG's would have no idea what that decades old term means but the old timers. That would be a high end AU at least a 55 to 58. On a good day it may make unc but the crazy hobby tries to say friction rub is different from human handling even though both more than likely have a little rub on the high spot, to me rub is rub.

I killed a bust half thread asking why is a 18.11 could ever be considered an R1 when they estimate only 450 pieces are estimated to exist? As many know an R1 should be 1000+ but that series has an R4 in it too. It seems no one answered. It could have been a percentage of the total mintage or maybe the state of the die and how many they felt could have been made with the said die along with their frequency of showing up, but it's totally wrong IMO. I wouldn't be calling old time collector a fool just because we've got PC with terms over the years they always change. If I'm in the right mood I can argue either side but really it's very funny to me how some folks get very upset when they precive a old term is used in this PC world, oh they know what it means they just have to try to correct someone just like my spelling in this note without spell check.

I just love the term junk silver for the franklins and walker in VF to Au (collector grade). There nothing junk about them when putting together a set on a budget. Junk to me is like an AG down completly worn out. All of these term have been used for decades before I was born interchangably. It just seems some have no other problems than correcting people. As far as I'm concerned junk silver is better described as coin silver.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Now, had we both used correct terminology in the 1st place....if I had said I wanted to pay $12.50 over melt.....we wouldnt have had this misunderstanding.

I bet the coin dealer would have said he won't sell all those coins to only make $12.50image
  • Options

<< <i>A lot of these terms have been attempted to be cleaned up since the TPG's. You best know what an old time collector is taking about when one says almost unc instead of about unc, which the guys coining that term were poor in english. Same way with spot vs melt, most people identify spot as the base price of gold and if your in the bussines your can be techincal correct but piss a lot of folks off even though you both have a meeting of the minds. I bet you ask David Hall what a commeriacl unc is many collectors since the TPG's would have no idea what that decades old term means but the old timers. That would be a high end AU at least a 55 to 58. On a good day it may make unc but the crazy hobby tries to say friction rub is different from human handling even though both more than likely have a little rub on the high spot, to me rub is rub.

I killed a bust half thread asking why is a 18.11 could ever be considered an R1 when they estimate only 450 pieces are estimated to exist? As many know an R1 should be 1000+ but that series has an R4 in it too. It seems no one answered. It could have been a percentage of the total mintage or maybe the state of the die and how many they felt could have been made with the said die along with their frequency of showing up, but it's totally wrong IMO. I wouldn't be calling old time collector a fool just because we've got PC with terms over the years they always change. If I'm in the right mood I can argue either side but really it's very funny to me how some folks get very upset when they precive a old term is used in this PC world, oh they know what it means they just have to try to correct someone just like my spelling in this note without spell check.

I just love the term junk silver for the franklins and walker in VF to Au (collector grade). There nothing junk about them when putting together a set on a budget. Junk to me is like an AG down completly worn out. All of these term have been used for decades before I was born interchangably. It just seems some have no other problems than correcting people. As far as I'm concerned junk silver is better described as coin silver. >>

Interesting post minus the poor English image
    And my newbie mind is having trouble wondering how any of it applies to a BULLION stacker image

• Options

<< <i>Now, had we both used correct terminology in the 1st place....if I had said I wanted to pay $12.50 over melt.....we wouldnt have had this misunderstanding.

I bet the coin dealer would have said he won't sell all those coins to only make $12.50image >>

It depends on what the dealer happens to have on hand and wants to sell. As I have said elsewhere, it all depends on supply and demand.

He made a not unreasonable offer to buy at a price understandable to both of us. I searched around and found the product at a price where I could make 2%. Done deal.

As it so happens I happen to have in inventory a roll of half eagles that I can sell at the same markup per coin as I sold the quarter eagles at. However, once they are gone I cannot sell a second roll at that price.

We have a store policy that we never throw anybody out of the store for making a reasonable offer or counteroffer on something. We simply reserve the right to say no.

Now, the guy who counteroffered on our price for a 50 Pesos with an offer at $200 under melt in the expectation that we would then split the difference, his head is stuffed and mounted above our revolving door........

• Options
    " his head is stuffed and mounted above our revolving door........"

So THATS what that was? I just thought you guys were celebrating Halloween a bit later than the rest of us!