Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So-Called Dollar... A PCGS 1ST?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Next to the Lesher Dollars I've never seen another SCD in a PCGS holder...

Anyone ever see another example of this 1920 Wilson Dollar HK-449 graded by PCGS image

imageimage
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was sure SCD would be coming to PCGS sometime soon. They are missing a good market.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can bet that it's only in a PCGS holder because it's considered by them to be a Phillipine issue, which it technically is, so i'd imagine it was submitted as a World Coin/Medal and it was struck by the Mint. there are other "test medals" that could be sent to PCGS such as those from the 1906 Pike's Peak Centennial since they seem to meet all the PCGS criteria. heck, they were authorized by Congress/designed by Barber/struck at the Philadelphia Mint and evidential records exist in the Mint archives. what else is needed for an item to be considered a Mint Medal, of which there are many, many others??

items like that have more of a claim to being legitimate things which would fit into the narrow PCGS window than the SC$'s they actually encapsulate, Lesher's. from everything i read the Lesher Dollars have noclaim to being a Mint medal; as a matter of fact, the dies for striking them were at one time confiscated by Federal agents if i recall things correctly. the only reason i can see that PCGS bothers to encapsulate them is in a name-----Zerbe.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting revelation. I'll have my HK-449 & HK-450 submitted in a heartbeat, knowing this.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same could be said on the Norse medals...
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>The same could be said on the Norse medals... >>

In the old days any numismatist worth his salt collected the silver commems. The Norse was always considered the 51st commem. Although it did not have a monetary value it was still considered a commem. Read a story once on why that was, by that I mean why it didn't have a value and why collectors considered it a commem, but have forgotten the reasons. Getting old does that to one.

Have never seen the Wilson SCD before, but I like it. Thanks for sharing it with us Mr. Broadstruck sir. Just out of curiosity, what's something like that sell for. I have the 2 MacArthur coins from the Philippines, the 50 centavos and the one peso. Looked on eBay for a Wilson SCD but to no avail. If it can't be found on eBay it's probably rare.

Ron

Edited to add last 2 sentences
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    neat coin Broadstruck, and i had no idea PCGS would slab these

>>In the old days any numismatist worth his salt collected the silver commems. The Norse was always considered the 51st commem. Although it did not have a monetary value it was still considered a commem. Read a story once on why that was, by that I mean why it didn't have a value and why collectors considered it a commem, but have forgotten the reasons. Getting old does that to one.>>

speaking of the Norse commem, in addition to the thick and thin planchet variations there are also rare strikes in bronze and gold (unique in the case of the gold i believe)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Is that part of the big announcement coming on the 25th?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file