Home Sports Talk
Options

Arrogant Canada not winning as many medals as they hoped to

"Own the podium" was their rallying cry. Ha Ha. image

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a difference between national spirit or rallying for one's athletes and arrogance. No arrogance on the part of Canada, they just wanted to spend a hundred million or so to get people interested in the games.
  • Options
    And the humble American train just keeps rolling along. Way to shut up and put up USA.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with athletes shooting for the top, especially when it's for their country.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Own the podium" was their rallying cry. Ha Ha. image >>

Rather arrogant comment....

But actually where it counts Canada is only 1 gold away from the top countries (we have 6 and the US and Germany with 7 each).

Very impressive for Canada when you consider the US has over 300 million people and we have a tenth of that.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>
    But actually where it counts Canada is only 1 gold away from the top countries (we have 6 and the US and Germany with 7 each). >>

True, a silver medal only means that of all the losers, you're the best.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Rather arrogant comment....

But actually where it counts Canada is only 1 gold away from the top countries (we have 6 and the US and Germany with 7 each).

Very impressive for Canada when you consider the US has over 300 million people and we have a tenth of that. >>

Right but you guys do think your "Better" than the USA so that doesnt fly.

Bottom line it is what it is, your not winning as many as you hoped image
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive for Canada when you consider the US has over 300 million people and we have a tenth of that.

true to an extent, but we also only have a select area of our population that has availability to playing winter sports so total population isn't that great of a factor.
  • Options

<< <i>Very impressive for Canada when you consider the US has over 300 million people and we have a tenth of that.

true to an extent, but we also only have a select area of our population that has availability to playing winter sports so total population isn't that great of a factor. >>

Was the same thing I was going to say.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Do we really care about how many medals that Canada wins? Isn't this kind of like the Yankees keeping track of how the Mets are doing during the year? Its not really a rivalry, but we live so close to each other that it only makes sense that we'd check in from time to time...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I wish I could care about hockey, I really do.
  • Options

<< <i>Do we really care about how many medals that Canada wins? Isn't this kind of like the Yankees keeping track of how the Mets are doing during the year? Its not really a rivalry, but we live so close to each other that it only makes sense that we'd check in from time to time... >>

No its just that Canada is very arrogant towards the United States and they basically think we are inferior to them.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we really care about how many medals that Canada wins? Isn't this kind of like the Yankees keeping track of how the Mets are doing during the year? Its not really a rivalry, but we live so close to each other that it only makes sense that we'd check in from time to time... >>

No its just that Canada is very arrogant towards the United States and they basically think we are inferior to them.

Agreed. Beating Canada in the hockey medal round would really be sweet, too!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Canadians have been mad at us ever since we burned Ontario in 1813.

Big mistake on our part. We should have burned Montreal. I think they would have been ok with that.
  • Options
    does everyone in canada this crosby is the next great one? a decent game against the germans wow(hes something w/sarcasm). wait until they play the russians
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Canadians are doing well- so is Germany and Norway-

I don't see Arrogance in the Canadians

Its not always about winning- it seems that the Olympic spirit has turned too commercial over the past 20 years and the focus is on all the wrong things- its quite unfortunate

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us not judge the Canadian people by a handful of mouth-running clowns on the news. Surely they would want to have more medal wins, but what hosting country wouldn't? After all, they did invent hockey...but, so what.

To any Canadian's reading this...last Fall my wife and I spent 10 wonderful days in Canada. We visited Banff, Lake Louise, drove the glorious Icefields Parkway to Jasper. We saw many wonderful sights and wildlife. People we met could not have been nicer! I quickly learned about Loonies and Toonies and enjoyed many a conversation with locals we met along the way. On a crispy cool, blue sky afternoon, we took a cruise on Maligne Lake to Spirit Island...wish we could have stayed there for days! We hiked many a trail, including Johnston Canyon to the upper falls just outside the Banff area. I would revisit Canada in a heart beat!!

Just medals, no big deal, eh?
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I don't see Arrogance in the Canadians>>>

I don't either. "Own the podium" wouldn't even crack the Top 10 most arrogant things you hear athletes in American sports say in any given week.
  • Options
    Text"Own the podium" wouldn't even crack the Top 10 most arrogant things you hear athletes in American sports say in any given week.

That about sums it up...

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Canadians have been mad at us ever since we burned Ontario in 1813.

Big mistake on our part. We should have burned Montreal. I think they would have been ok with that. >>

And then we came down and burned down the White House! How crazy is that!? Anyways Canada+Arogant= Oxymoron
  • Options
    just got a 7th gold, tied with Germany and USA, that's a Canadian record so I think we are doing okay...
  • Options

<< <i>

Big mistake on our part. We should have burned Montreal. I think they would have been ok with that. >>

And then we came down and burned down the White House! How crazy is that!? Anyways Canada+Arogant= Oxymoron >>

The British burned the White House, not Canadians. That's why we let you guys come here for health care instead of the British.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

And then we came down and burned down the White House! How crazy is that!? Anyways Canada+Arogant= Oxymoron >>

The British burned the White House, not Canadians. That's why we let you guys come here for health care instead of the British. >>

Those British were 'Canadians', we weren't a country yet...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The British burned the White House, not Canadians. That's why we let you guys come here for health care instead of the British. >>

Those British were 'Canadians', we weren't a country yet... >>

Right. I understand the "country" issue, but the British who burned Washington were transported across the Atlantic from Wellington's army after defeating Napoleon. They weren't "Canadian".

Then they promptly got their butts kicked at the Battle of Baltimore where a couple of teenagers killed the commanding British General. They regrouped and sailed off to try their luck against Andrew Jackson at New Orleans. And the rest, they say, is history.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Those British were 'Canadians', we weren't a country yet... >>

Right. I understand the "country" issue, but the British who burned Washington were transported across the Atlantic from Wellington's army after defeating Napoleon. They weren't "Canadian".

Then they promptly got their butts kicked at the Battle of Baltimore where a couple of teenagers killed the commanding British General. They regrouped and sailed off to try their luck against Andrew Jackson at New Orleans. And the rest, they say, is history. >>

+1
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

No, we should have burned Atlanta. Oh wait....
  • Options

<< <i>

No, we should have burned Atlanta. Oh wait.... >>

Indeed, one of my southern friends was complaining about having troops stationed overseas for years and years.

I pointed out that 150 years later we still have troops stationed in Georgia.
  • Options
    OK, I'm going to take back what I said about Canadians not being arrogant, and say that Canadian HOCKEY fans are EXTREMELY arrogant (the rest of Canadians are cool in my book). It's almost as if they feel entitled to the gold medal.

I'm feeling the same contempt for them as I do Yankee fans. It didn't help that they kept blasting that same music they play at Yankee Stadium (you know, that annoying set of bells), during their game with Russia last night. I hope the US completely thrashes them in the gold medal game.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why people in othe countries call us "ugly Americans."

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder why people in othe countries call us "ugly Americans." >>

I can't speak for my fellow Americans, but one look at my mug and you would know why the moniker fits! image
    Brett
  • Options

<< <i>No its just that Canada is very arrogant towards the United States and they basically think we are inferior to them. >>

• Options

<< <i>Canadian HOCKEY fans are EXTREMELY arrogant... I'm feeling the same contempt for them as I do Yankee fans. >>

I would say that's a fair comparison, but also one that probably has more to do with moron sports fans than being citizens of different countries image Cue soccer fan!
  • Options
    Canada may not have the most total medals, but they are 1 more gold away from the most gold medals in any Winter Olympics...all in all, not too shabby.
  • Options

<< <i>Canada may not have the most total medals, but they are 1 more gold away from the most gold medals in any Winter Olympics...all in all, not too shabby.[/

Agreed. If the Canadian hockey team wins gold tomorrow which country would feel they had greater success? The US with the most medals or Canada with a record number of gold and just won the last and most important gold of the games? They basically spanked everyones butt in the last week. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. I think I read that somewhere.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd value the most gold's over the most medals, or at the very least, they should have a points system gold = 3, silver = 2, and bronze = 1, to determine which country had the best showing. There's no way a team with 3 golds should be counted lower than a team with a silver and 4 bronze's. But, total medal count has been the historically accepted way to determine who's "best".

Based on that, Canada's "own the podium" stated objective was to win the most medals overall. They aren't even close, so now it's being downplayed as "hey look, we won the most gold's".

The US will have the highest total medal count of any country in Winter Olympics history.

By Canada's definition, we own the podium.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Canada is having the best Olympics. I hate them. One last chance to make them cry, but I don't see how that team loses twice at home.

Golds matter. The others are nice for the winners, but nothing for the country to brag about.

That said come on Ryan Miller.
  • Options
    Canada made up some serious ground and are sitting in third place for the overall medal count, surpassing Norway which has traditionally dominated the Winter Games along with Germany I believe.

As mentioned, they lead in gold medals by a comfortable margin as the games wind down.

If not for the un-Candianesque "Own The Podium" remark, I don't think anyone could be disappointed with their strong showing.

It wasn't too long ago that the United States were also-rans when it came to the Winter Games, so we have come a long way in a relatively short period of time.

If any nation is disappointed with their showing, it is likely Russia who boasted they would win 40 medals.... to date, they have only managed 15.

Much love to our neighbors to the north... but I do hope Team USA "owns the ice" tomorrow.

Snorto~

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    I think both countries should be proud of their showing in these Olympics. The U.S has done a great job overall. The 4-man bobsled gold last night was great. 62 years since their last gold in the Olympics. Impressive fashion too. As to who is the bigger winner, that's up for debate. Most medals vs. most golds. Blah. Who really cares? Sometimes the athlete that should win gold doesn't. Sometimes the "best" athlete suffers an injury coming in. Sometimes circumstances surrounding an event can be a factor. Further, when you consider that many of the events determine the winner by combined voting, it's really hard to say the winner of the gold was the clear-cut winner. In the end, both countries should be proud of the athletes that represented them.

With that being said, GO U.S.A!!! Beat Canada today in hockey and win the gold. image
  • Options
    I love Canadian enthusiasm. Whenever I go up to Canada to attend a hockey game (gotta follow the Canes), the fans there are so enthusiastic and full of national pride. Obviously, as an American, I pull for us. But if it isn't us, I want Canada to win.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

I wonder who's crying now.

I'm old enough to realize that insulting comments always come back to bite you in the rear.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options

<< <i>

I'm old enough to realize that insulting comments always come back to bite you in the rear. >>

Too bad your not old enough to read my posts four above, before you called me a sore loser.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm old enough to realize that insulting comments always come back to bite you in the rear. >>

Too bad your not old enough to read my posts four above, before you called me a sore loser.

image >>

You said some OK things, but one thing you said that bothered me was 'I hate them'.

YES, I did read your thread.

• Options

<< <i>
    You said some OK things, but one thing you said that bothered me was 'I hate them'.

YES, I did read your thread. >>

I hate Canada hockey. Too many painful losses over the last decade. To lose to a guy like Crosby just sucks, glad a deserving Toews got top forward.

Oh well. Hopefully the Juniors get them a bit more frequently. Hopefully the 2018 games come back to North America.
  • Options
    It is sad to have to write this but someone must.

The Olympics just are not what they once were. With certain sports such as Hockey in the winter games and Basketball in the summer, it was once amateur athletics at its finest... today it is different. Perhaps that difference is why the 1980 US Hockey win in the Olympics was a win for the ages. Somethings are more important than winning- its about following what the original intent of Olympic competition. It is unfortunate that the Olympics has become what it was never intended to be- a show place for power, money, media and glamour- As a starting point, why are the Olympic opening ceremonies over produced?

But it extends well beyond that- it seems the focus is on the medal count and who the winners are and who did not measure up to expectations- Unfortunately, sportsmanship, character and what some athletes did to get there never makes it to the center stage- mainly, because it does not seem to fit into the new Olympic program- selling, marketing and winning. The age of the amateur athlete has long since past and will likely never have a forum, such as the Olympics, that it rightfully deserves.

• Options

<< <i>It is sad to have to write this but someone must.

The Olympics just are not what they once were. With certain sports such as Hockey in the winter games and Basketball in the summer, it was once amateur athletics at its finest... today it is different. Perhaps that difference is why the 1980 US Hockey win in the Olympics was a win for the ages. Somethings are more important than winning- its about following what the original intent of Olympic competition. It is unfortunate that the Olympics has become what it was never intended to be- a show place for power, money, media and glamour- As a starting point, why are the Olympic opening ceremonies over produced?

But it extends well beyond that- it seems the focus is on the medal count and who the winners are and who did not measure up to expectations- Unfortunately, sportsmanship, character and what some athletes did to get there never makes it to the center stage- mainly, because it does not seem to fit into the new Olympic program- selling, marketing and winning. The age of the amateur athlete has long since past and will likely never have a forum, such as the Olympics, that it rightfully deserves. >>

You can thank the commies from Russia for this. Send them your sentiments. They began sending professional paid athletes to compete
    against kids who trained while working jobs. Russian athletes were paid handsomely to train year round, while other athletes from other countries had to work jobs, and train at their own expense.
  • Options

<< <i>It is sad to have to write this but someone must.

But it extends well beyond that- it seems the focus is on the medal count and who the winners are and who did not measure up to expectations- Unfortunately, sportsmanship, character and what some athletes did to get there never makes it to the center stage- mainly, because it does not seem to fit into the new Olympic program- selling, marketing and winning. The age of the amateur athlete has long since past and will likely never have a forum, such as the Olympics, that it rightfully deserves. >>

I don't know if the Olympics were ever about the amateur athlete.

Look at the Olympics back in the '70's through to the late 90's. We, in the capitalistic countries with our professional athletes were not allowed to compete with the Communist countries and their 'amateur' athletes. These athletes from the Communist countries were just as far from 'amateur status' as our professional athletes, yet we had to send true amateur athletes that were unfortunately 'second tier' athletes in skill. Compound this with the initial outbreak of athlete 'doping' , specifically the East Germans of the '70's and '80's and we were really at a disadvantage. I remember with a rumbling stomach the first time I laid eyes on the East German woman's swim team. Now that was a sight to see!!

And if you really want to go back in time, heck the Ancient Greeks used to smear butter on their wrestlers to make them obviously more slippery than their opponents. Talk about an advantage!!

It's come down to the human instinct of winning and destroying our competition. It's both a good and bad trait.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Canada won the IOC medal ranking, but not the total medals count. They have everything to be proud of. Good job Canada!!!
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee