Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is a Die Clash an Error?

I have seen TPG tags that list a Die Clash as an Error, my question is does the collector consider Clashing and Error?

Comments

• Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    It depends, if it is clashed from the opposing die (obverse or reverse) then I would say no.

But if it was clashed from flying eagle cent onto a quarter, then I would say yes.
    1857 quarter clashed with flying eagle cent reverse
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    Clash marks are (mint errors) They are where the dies have hit each other and then transfer these marks to the coins.
    An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have.
    Andy Warhol
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clash marks are (mint errors) They are where the dies have hit each other and then transfer these marks to the coins. >>

Agree. They are errors and they are also die varieties. Unless the mint intentionally clashed their dies, which would be absurd, then you must conclude that they are errors. Since they mark the dies, coins struck from those dies can also be considered varieties.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    <<It depends, if it is clashed from the opposing die (obverse or reverse) then I would say no.

But if it was clashed from flying eagle cent onto a quarter, then I would say yes.
    1857 quarter clashed with flying eagle cent reverse>>

I could consider an ordinary clash an error. The mint did not intend that to happen.

The cent quarter clash has so much help behind it, I hesitate to call it an error.
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Some people classify them as "die errors" and others as "die varieties". Regardless, they are defects that arise from two simultaneous press malfunctions -- a complete planchet misfeed and dies that have fallen out of adjustment so that their minimum clearance is zero.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, coins struck from clashed dies are NOT errors. They are exactly what one should expect from a coin stuck using these dies. One can make the case that the dies are damaged and that the mint continued to use them in error, but that has nothing to do with whether or not a particular coin is an error coin.

Nor, are they even die varieties. They are perfectly normal coins struck from a die at a particular stage of that die's life.

Edit for typo.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clashed dies are considered errors.

It is not what the mint intended.
  • Options

<< <i>Clashed dies are considered errors.

It is not what the mint intended. >>

You are right. The dies are errors. The coins struck from them aren't, however. They are exactly what the mint intended a coin struck by that die at that die stage to look like--and it was the coins that the OP refered to.
  • Options
    A die clash on a coin is considered a mint error.

• Options
    The dies have clashed leaving 'clash marks'

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2783&lot=2783
    An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have.
    Andy Warhol
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clashed dies happened so often in the minting of Gold Dollars that to find a coin "without" clashmarks can be unusual.

...yet ofter sellers not familiar with the series will tout such coins as a "rare mint error". I have never seen or heard of one that was labeled as a mint error by TPGs.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    I disagree, clashes are die varieties. Errors are unique coins.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the disagreement

A die variety would be more along the lines of date placement or mintmark placement, a die clash would be more considered a "die state"
  • Options

<< <i> I have never seen or heard of one that was labeled as a mint error by TPGs. >>

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clashed dies happened so often in the minting of Gold Dollars that to find a coin "without" clashmarks can be unusual.

...yet ofter sellers not familiar with the series will tout such coins as a "rare mint error". I have never seen or heard of one that was labeled as a mint error by TPGs. >>

Many mint errors are common (die clashes, die cracks, die gouges, etc) and are not particularly valuable. But, they are still mint errors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

<< <i> Many mint errors are common (die clashes, die cracks, die gouges, etc) and are not particularly valuable. But, they are still mint errors. >>

Bingo, just because they are common does not mean they are not considered mint errors

These are considered mint errors and can be sold as such.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I disagree, clashes are die varieties. Errors are unique coins. >>

I totally disagree. Varieties are coins produced from dies as they were made and put into service (whether all of the characteristics on the die were intended to be there or not, such as overdates, RPMs, gouges, polishing lines, etc.) Clashes were not there when dies were made and put into service. Clashes cause damage to dies and are a normal, predictable, and common event in the life of all dies, just like cracks, cuds, and erosion/wear are. I do not consider coins produced by them to be either varieties or errors, but various die state examples, just as DMPLs and PLs are.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    In Arnold Margolis and Fred Weinberg's "The Error Coin Encyclopedia IV", die clashes are refered to as error's. (Page 309)

From a collector's standpoint, I think it really depends upon the extent of the die clash after understanding that the bottom stroke of the hammer die is adjustable (meaning not all dies will come together should a blank not be fed into the coining chamber) and not all die clashes are the same.

Some are significant while others are relatively minor and quite common.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Yes. I define mint error simply as this... If, in the production of a coin something happens to any aspect of that coin, while striking, and changes that coin, and was not intended, its an error.

A clash die is not intended. Thus, it is an error.

edited to add: If the die is subject to any of the above as well, its a mint error.

Also, I believe even small mint errors should be noted if paid for during submission.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Run a poll
    I vote error
  • Options

<< <i>Yes. I define mint error simply as this... If, in the production of a coin something happens to any aspect of that coin, while striking, and changes that coin, and was not intended, its an error.

A clash die is not intended. Thus, it is an error.

edited to add: If the die is subject to any of the above as well, its a mint error.

Also, I believe even small mint errors should be noted if paid for during submission. >>

That's just it, though. Nothing happened to a coin with clash marks that wasn't intended to happen. It shows the exact imprint that it should show. A coin struck from clashed dies which DOESN'T display that clash mark is the actual error coin as it is the coin that isn't what the mint intended when (whether mistakenly or not) that particular die continued to be used.
  • Options

<<That's just it, though. Nothing happened to a coin with clash marks that wasn't intended to happen. It show the exact imprint that it should show. A coin struck from clashed dies which DOESN'T display that clash mark is the actual error coin as it is the coin that isn't what the mint intended when (whether mistakenly or not) that particular die continued to be used. >>

But the die was changed, and thus changed the intended design of the coin. If a coin doesnt show clashing from clashed dies, why doesnt it show?Its more than likely due to the clashing wearing down to fading into the intended design? If so, then its as intended by default I guess.
  • Options
    There are definitions and then there are opinions ....

By definition it IS A MINT ERROR.

PERIOD.
  • Options

<< <i>There are definitions and then there are opinions ....

PERIOD. >>

On the contrary, by definition the coin ISN'T a mint error. It is exactly what it should be. Through common USAGE it may be considered one, but actually THAT is exactly where opinion rather than definition enters the arguement.

• Options

<< <i>

PERIOD. >>

On the contrary, by definition the coin ISN'T a mint error. It is exactly what it should be. Through common USAGE it may be considered one, but actually THAT is exactly where opinion rather than definition enters the arguement. >>

Ok , you are right.

All of the error experts are wrong. All of the books on error coins are wrong. The TPG's are wrong. The error websites are wrong.

And you are right ...........

NOT!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

PERIOD. >>

On the contrary, by definition the coin ISN'T a mint error. It is exactly what it should be. Through common USAGE it may be considered one, but actually THAT is exactly where opinion rather than definition enters the arguement. >>

Ok , you are right.

All of the error experts are wrong. All of the books on error coins are wrong. The TPG's are wrong. The error websites are wrong.

And you are right ......... >>

Now you got it!!!!image
  • Options
    LOLimage
  • Options
    I LOVE IT!

Let's see, I'm looking at a nice clashed Ike with a big Talon Head, Hair Lip, Volunteer and other images:
    --- that no planchet was present was an error,
    --- that the dies came together was an error (more often due to excessive play in the hammer arm than to mal-adjustment, I would guess),
    --- that Gasparro allowed an element of the reverse die to extend above the die's field was an error, BIG TIME error, a major no-no,
    --- that the repairative abrading did not fully erase the clash images in the fields was an error.

But the die setter's decision to re-hang the clashed dies with their partial abrading repairs, was that an error, or was he told to do exactly this by the suits who were hell-bent on meeting production quotas (or maybe THIS decision by the suits was an error?)?

One is left with the need for clarity based on reasonable definitions as the above discussion would not fit on any TPG's tag.

Therefore ErrorsOnCoins is correct IMVHO.

(Good Lord, this thread reminds me of theological arguments. . .)
    Rob

Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always considered them as an error, rather than a variety. I collect error coins only BTW.
  • Options

<< <i>That's just it, though. Nothing happened to a coin with clash marks that wasn't intended to happen. >>

Except that the US Mint did not intend for those clash marks on the face of those dies and as soon as it is noticed, the dies are pulled and reworked.
    If the clashing is severe enough, the coins will get pulled as well in an effort to not let the "error" into circulation.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>(Good Lord, this thread reminds me of theological arguments. . .) Rob >>

Or worse yet the "circulated" vs "uncirculated" arguments. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Heck! Does that mean ALL Ike dollars are errors?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course Die Clashes are errors;

We've had this discussion a million times
    before.

The term "error coin" can, and has, cover
    both mechanical errors and die varieties.

Then,more recently, the term is broken down to:

Mechanical Errors - double strikes, off centers,
    off metals, clips, clad layer
    missing, and yes, die clashes

Die Varieties - VAMS, RPMs, Doubled Dies, etc.

Die Clashes are the result of a Mechanical Error -
    there was a mis-feed of the planchets being fed
    into the striking chamber and collar; the dies clashed
    together due to than mechanical failure; the coins
    struck from those dies are the result of this mechanical
    error malfunction.

Yes, die clashes are on the dies - but what caused that
    to occur? A Mechanical Error/Malfunction.

That's just my opinion, of course
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand why this example may have been dipped...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file