Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit 1837 CBH

Looks like I have a counterfeit 1837 Cap Bust Half. Dose this have any value and is anyone interested in it? Any coments are welcome.

Thanks
John

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Cool! image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Nice.

Sometimes the counterfeits are worth more than the real thing. I'd be interested in hearing what an expert has to say.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin in that condition is probably worth more as a counterfeit. guess the maker didn't realize that they changed designs in 37

• Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    This appears to be a Davignon 1837 2B (based on the attributions in Keith Davignon's 'Contemporary Counterfeit Bust Half Dollars') which is a fairly common variety, but one which has according to that book "often been mistaken for genuine US mint experimental pieces".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweeeeet (not)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece, and definitely better than the real thing.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coin in that condition is probably worth more as a counterfeit. guess the maker didn't realize that they changed designs in 37 >>

One guess is that the maker didn't realize the design had changed. Another is that he realized that the common small town shopkeeper would actually be more likely to accept a coin that looked like what he was used to seeing rather than one with designs he had never seen (and possibly never even heard of).

<< <i>This appears to be a Davignon 1837 2B (based on the attributions in Keith Davignon's 'Contemporary Counterfeit Bust Half Dollars') which is a fairly common variety >>

The Davigon book may call this piece "common", but one has to realize that "common" when it comes to bogus busties is usually considered to be a range of 10 to 20 known examples! IMO, definately underpriced at the 75 to 150 dollars that contemporary counterfeits seem to bring on ebay.

(Actually, I appreciate that they are undervalued on the bay.) image

Edit to change 175 to 75. Bad typing--not bad pricing.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Prices on the counterfeit Bust Half Dollars go all over the place, but I would guess $60 on this one. There are some serious counterfeit Bust Half Dollar collectors, but the big money is in those examples that are not so common.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are widely collected and very cool.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file