Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1939 jefferson ddo

johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
any opinions on the 1939 ddo jefferson 5 cent piece? are these worth getting? the one im looking at is a xf-45 pcgs.

Comments

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    That would seem to me like the coin to put in your Jefferson collection, for a fair price that is. Jeffs are fun to collect and don't cost an arm and a leg to amass.
    Ed. to add. Check with Keets though as he's one of the resident Jeff experts here on the board.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    thats just it. i think its a bit pricey right now but dont want to run quite yet. i notice that some of the prices in coins are getting soft ( or so it seems )
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....did you put the word out on the BST boards? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big Jeff collector but I thought there was only a DDR for that year..the famous doubled Monticello. If you can get your hands on one of those, I would grab it with two hands regardless of price. You don't see those floating around too often in any grade. Not enough supply of those to meet demand. JMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not a big Jeff collector but I thought there was only a DDR for that year..the famous doubled Monticello. If you can get your hands on one of those, I would grab it with two hands regardless of price. You don't see those floating around too often in any grade. Not enough supply of those to meet demand. JMHO. >>

-oops. I just noticed he mentioned DDO...it's the Reverse DD that's the one to be had.
  • Options
    well shoot thats my bad. it is a ddr my apologies to everyone image
  • Options
    yes tahoe, i did post there today as well thank you
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    I think DDR is FS-022.

I would think you could find one in XF for $150 to $165.

Check ebay. I did see a MS65 DDR there the other day. That was going for close to $1,500.00.

bstat
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....here's one

....looky image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    hmmm, ebid, i gotta take a closer look at that. ive been seeing that around a bit more in the last month.
  • Options
    Harlan Berk has one for sale cheaper...about XF I think.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The 39 DDR is one of the few (if your eye sight is still good enough) that can be partially identified with the naked eye.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just took a photo of mine today! (not for sale)

One piece of advice - get a nice enough one where you can see the doubling.

JH
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I saw the XF45 online. Harlan Berk has a certified MS64 for $595. Also a raw XF40 for $49.

• Options

You have to be careful if it isn't certified as I have seen several with MD that are almost convincing. Also there is
    a FS#022.5 which is a Quad Die reverse ( QDR), but not as exciting as the DDR, and only about 1/3 of the price,
    but I have seen a couple of those represented as the 022 DDR.

Jim
  • Options
    i like yours eagle guy, that looks real neat. congrats. the one i seen ( pic pulled already, someone brought it) went for $227 shipped. i still think there a good one to sit on for a while
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>any opinions on the 1939 ddo jefferson 5 cent piece? are these worth getting? the one im looking at is a xf-45 pcgs. >>

Are you talking about the 39 DDR FS22/FS22.5 or an actual 39 DDO? PCGS doesn't designate (or at least not that I've seen) 39 DDO's... the other TPG in Colorado does.

Just FYI... The 1939 master die was doubled; a class V doubled master die. It was then used to create a hub from which the last two digits (39) were removed. That modified hub was then used to make a master die in which the last two digits (40) were punched. There are at least 6 different DDOs and 17 different DDRs for that date.

In any case, if you're in the market for an XF version and it's something you want, then go for it... it's not my first choice grade-wise, but that's just me.

Happy Hunting!

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing how late of a die state strike the picture of the above coin has, does anyone know how many coins a set of working dies usually lasts. I found some info stating it was 250,000. For older dates, is it less? Could population estimates be made for some varieties.

Thanks, Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    length of working dies life depends on design, diameter (size), composition of metal being struck, and striking force (pressure)

nickel is the 'hardest' metal used for ccirculation strikes

they had issues with design as they changed the depth and design in 1939 - giving type 1 and type 2 reverses

I would guess typical die for these then lasted closer to 100,000 strikes

By looking at Eagleguy's excellent coin, I see it has a type 2 reverse - but now I am wondering after the 1960 and 1970 Lincolns

is this double die actually a type 2 over type 1 reverse causing the large spread in MONTICELLO ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file