Home Sports Talk

Coach Calipari is such a slime ball

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
Calipari delivers hope to gravely ill Indiana boy

Topic Author: Steve Moss
Posted: 12:36 AM Feb 12, 2010

Kevin Massey loves the Kentucky Wildcats. Has all his young life. The only problem with Kevin's affinity for the the Big Blue is that he lives deep in the heart of IU country.

Kevin is a sophomore at Franklin Central High School in Indianapolis, and recently, the coach of Kevin's favorite basketball team, John Calipari, turned the tables, becoming a fan of the three-sport athlete. Not because of Kevin's ability to turn a double-play or knock down a three-point shot, but because of Kevin's will to live.

A member of the cross country team, a second baseman on the Central baseball team and a guard on the JV basketball squad, Kevin has never shied from his love for the Cats, despite what his basketball coach says is constant good-natured ribbing from friends and classmates, most of whom are Hoosier fans.

Recently, in a span of a week, the Massey family's lives were shattered. And the Kentucky coach, three hours and an entire fan base away, took notice.

According to Mark James, coach of the Franklin Central boys basketball team, Kevin began experiencing pain in his leg during a practice last Thursday. The following day, Kevin complained about a tingling sensation in his hands.

By Sunday, Kevin couldn't move his right arm or right leg. Kevin's parents, Ruth and Dwain Massey, natives of the Bluegrass state, took their son to the hospital, where a battery of tests were performed.

James says Kevin initially was treated for meningitis and stroke, but those were ruled out. By Monday, Kevin couldn't swallow. An MRI revealed Kevin Massey had an inoperable brain tumor.

In just seven days, the Franklin Central guard had gone from happy-go-lucky kid, practicing with his team, to undergoing radiation treatments for the tumor. His family is devastated.

To lessen the load and bring joy to this young Wildcat fan, James called upon a friend and one-time Calipari assistant, Ed Schilling, to gage whether Calipari might autograph a few things and send them to Indianapolis. Perhaps, the coaches figured, it would allow Kevin one day of happiness, in what had otherwise been a gloomy week.

Schilling made the call. James says Calipari was happy to fulfill the request, even promised to fly to Indianapolis and surprise Kevin, hand-delivering the items.

Cal made good on his word. According to one family member, both player and coach were moved to tears when the two met for the first time. Kevin, lying in his hospital bed, cried as the Kentucky coach entered his room. Calipari, touched by the kid's love for the Cats and his dire situation, led the family in prayer at Kevin's bedside.

"The family was pretty overwhelmed," James said via phone. "It was an unbelievable experience for that family."

Calipari brought with him the game ball from UK's win over Alabama. It was covered in autographs from Wildcat players. When coach Cal left, Kevin never let the ball out of his sight.

"It was neat, because Cal did this out of his heart," James said. "There were no TV cameras. He got no ink. This is something this kid will never forget."

Franklin Central's cross country coach, Eric Kellison, is a lifelong Hoosier fan, "but he's (Calipari) making it hard to not like Kentucky."

"You can accuse him of alot of things, but put a big check mark right up there on his side for this one," James said of Calipari. "This is stuff you only read about."

The prognosis isn't good for Kevin Massey. Already, he's had two rounds of radiation treatments, in hopes of shrinking the tumor. But for the first time in nearly a week, a smile creeped across Kevin's face as he clutched the game ball.

To see pictures of Kevin and coach Calipari, go to http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kevinmassey

Those are the highlights... Stay tuned.

Link to Story

Shane

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story. The guy never ages -- looks the same as when he coached UMass.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭
    Whew! For a moment there I thought the TC was one of those Cheater Cal trolls! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ver nice gesture, its nice to hear about these guys doing stuff like this.

As much as I dont really care for alot of these present day Athletes ect..I do think this type of thing happens alot more than the media finds out.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Why would you call him a slime ball based upon that article???
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Why would you call him a slime ball based upon that article??? >>

I think he was teasing and being sarcastic. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It was a nice gesture no doubt...but don't let it distract you from the fact that he left 2 programs in the wake of NCAA violations. Kentucky fans should enjoy the run while it lasts, because 10 years from now (if not sooner) he'll be bolting for another school (or the pros), as your team is swirling down the drain.

Make no mistake about it, he is the sleaziest coach in the land, when it comes to landing recruits and skirting the NCAA rules. Coach Knight absolutely right when he criticized Calipari earlier in the season.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the eyes of NCAA, Coach Cal is innocent of those charges. Sure, the schools were in violation, but he had nothing to do with those violations. I thought so way before he became the UK coach, too. People always just look on the surface of these things and forget one little thing - facts.

Shane

<< <i>

<< <i>Why would you call him a slime ball based upon that article??? >>

I think he was teasing and being sarcastic. image >>

Ya think! image

<< <i>In the eyes of NCAA, Coach Cal is innocent of those charges. Sure, the schools were in violation, but he had nothing to do with those violations. I thought so way before he became the UK coach, too. People always just look on the surface of these things and forget one little thing - facts. >>

I never followed the Memphis stuff, but I always thought Calipari got a bum rap just becuase Marcus Camby was a dumbass for taking gifts from a wannabe "agent".

<< <i>

<< <i>In the eyes of NCAA, Coach Cal is innocent of those charges. Sure, the schools were in violation, but he had nothing to do with those violations. I thought so way before he became the UK coach, too. People always just look on the surface of these things and forget one little thing - facts. >>

I never followed the Memphis stuff, but I always thought Calipari got a bum rap just becuase Marcus Camby was a dumbass for taking gifts from a wannabe "agent". >>

Marcus Camby was a dirtbag for his part in that whole mess.
    I would like to thank you guys for stating something that most people don't say. How about some personal responsibility for these players. Coaches aren't baby sitters. Camby was the person in the wrong, and so was Derrek Rose.

Shane

<< <i>It was a nice gesture no doubt...but don't let it distract you from the fact that he left 2 programs in the wake of NCAA violations. Kentucky fans should enjoy the run while it lasts, because 10 years from now (if not sooner) he'll be bolting for another school (or the pros), as your team is swirling down the drain.

Make no mistake about it, he is the sleaziest coach in the land, when it comes to landing recruits and skirting the NCAA rules. Coach Knight absolutely right when he criticized Calipari earlier in the season. >>

Why don't you mention the FACT that he didn't do (nor was he ever accused by the NCAA) ANYTHING wrong in either case?
    WISHLIST
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice story.

Brain cancer is possibly the most evil of them all. My wife's dad was diagnosed with it the week of Father's Day 2009. He died in December.

Bad bad stuff.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    *shrug* his history of leaving a trail of NCAA violations behind him suggests he can't play by the rules.

Anyone can sidle up to a dying child, heck even the worst in our society would feel some compassion for that boy. But in his own profession, Calipari's actions speak volumes.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

<< <i>*shrug* his history of leaving a trail of NCAA violations behind him suggests he can't play by the rules.

Anyone can sidle up to a dying child, heck even the worst in our society would feel some compassion for that boy. But in his own profession, Calipari's actions speak volumes. >>

Yep. He made the mistake of being the coach of Marcus Camby and Derrek Rose.

Shane

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    My dad went to UMass and thus I was a huge fan in the 90's. I loved the teams from Harper Williams/Derek Kellogg to Lou Roe/Marcus Camby. I can name you the 1996 Final Four team without having to look it up (Dingle, Bright, Travieso, Padilla, Camby). I still like to see Coach Cal do well wherever he is just because he brought so much happiness to my life in that era.

And that was an awesome story. nice gesture by John.

But Estil, so you understand, it's pretty much understood around the State of MA that he didn't leave UMass for the Nets of his own volition. It's believed that the NCAA and University told him that he had better go or they'd start investigating rumors of serious violations.

I love the guy and root for him...but he does have some skeletons. In 2016 when UK has 2 more National titles but the program is in shambles, just remember that it was worth it.

Edited for atrocious grammar
  • Nice gesture on his part no doubt...taking time out in the middle of a hectic season shows sincerity that often goes unreported...most players/coaches don't want the publicity of what they do for good, for fear of it coming off as nothing more than a photo opp.

That being said, to sit and suggest Calipari hasn't had his hands dirty when he's had two final four teams vacate their tournament appearances is either incredibly naive or willfully ignorant. No, the coaches aren't babysitters but they are the ones most responsible for bringing players to the campus.

While the NCAA may have avoided directly naming him as responsible, I find it amazing that anyone can look at what's transpired and not suggest he's at least somewhat responsible. But then when you have the fan blinders on anything is possible.
    The NCAA is very much a junkyard dog when it comes to violations; I have no doubt had Calipari been reasonably suspected in either case, the NCAA would not have hesitated for a second to take him to the cleaners. Frankly, all the Cheater Cal trolls need to get back under the bridge where they belong. image
    WISHLIST
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    very nice gesture
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why, but I am reminded of Big Ernie in Kingpin - when he helped the fatherless kids after seeing their yummy mummies. image

Good gesture from a slippery coach though - nice to know he has some redeeming qualities. I was at UMass while he coached there - everybody knew what was going on. The dance with the devil was good for UMass because we had not been anything in decades. Surprised Kentucky was that desperate - they shouldn't need to be.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why, but I am reminded of Big Ernie in Kingpin - when he helped the fatherless kids after seeing their yummy mummies. image

Good gesture from a slippery coach though - nice to know he has some redeeming qualities. I was at UMass while he coached there - everybody knew what was going on. The dance with the devil was good for UMass because we had not been anything in decades. Surprised Kentucky was that desperate - they shouldn't need to be. >>

That's sort of my take on the guy. You can't leave a trail like he has and claim to be lily-white. It's not the NCAA has some sort of special psychic knowledge of violations - they get wind of them the same way that fans and the media hear about them. The coaching staff know who's sniffing around these players, and they can choose to be as plugged in as they want or they can choose to put on blinders and claim "they can't know everything".

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    While were at it, lets crucify Jim Calhoun for the laptops that Marcus Williams lifted. I am sure he stole those with Calhoun's permission.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>While were at it, lets crucify Jim Calhoun for the laptops that Marcus Williams lifted. I am sure he stole those with Calhoun's permission. >>

If Calhoun doesn't discpline the kid or report the transgression, THEN AND ONLY THEN is that a valid comp.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    If we are using discipline as a measurement. How could Calipari discipline Derrek Rose and Marcus Camby after they were in the NBA? It is my understanding that those violations weren't even known about until after they left.

Shane

You know what -- I read Calipari's Wiki entry and forgot how damn impressive his coaching career is. And that includes his stint with the Nets -- in 2 years he turned the crappy Nets into a playoff team. In the third year he got canned for a 3-17 start during the lockout year -- the team was riddled with injuries including Sam Cassell.