Home Sports Talk
Options

Joe Mauer is STAYING in Minnesota...

Great news for Twins fans, he is STAYING !

Too bad Boston/New York !!!
Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    I would never give a 10 year contract to any player, much less a catcher.

I think its great that he wants to stay in MN
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is good news for MN and good news for Boston. Boston would not have paid the $30 million per year (or more!) that the Yankees would have paid, so now the Sox can focus on an extension for V-Mart.

I guess NYY can focus on development of their excellent minor league prospects to take Posada's place. So maybe it is a win all the way around.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    He is an awesome player; but a catcher signing a 10 year deal is crazy. He could get injured this next season.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good for the Twins and Mauer. The guy is a Minnesota institution. A home grown product of the state and the only player to ever win the USA Today's High ScHool Player of the Year for football AND baseball. What an incredible athlete. I wish him a Hall of Fame career, and ultimately, he will probably become a Governor or Senator of Minnesota. >>

Would that make him the Glovenator or the Glovenor?
  • Options

<< <i>new report: talk of the deal is "erroneous" >>

Mark Rosen is in the know! He broke the Favre deal too when ESPN was saying no way...
    Mauer is signed, trust me !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    There was never a doubt that Mauer was staying in Minnesota. There is no way they could open new stadium without their most popular player on the roster. It would have been financial suicide NOT to pay him at or above market value.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great move by the Twins.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess NYY can focus on development of their excellent minor league prospects to take Posada's place. So maybe it is a win all the way around. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess NYY can focus on development of their excellent minor league prospects to take Posada's place. So maybe it is a win all the way around. >>

image >>

Four of the Yankees top 10 prospects are Catchers (including #1 and #2) so it is highly likely that they could stick inside of their organization when it comes to finding Posada's replacement in the future.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet it is 10 years, $200 million. Now he can buy a whole lake, not just a lake house.
  • Options
    baseball, do you think resigning Cano is a sure thing? I don't. I am sure the Yankees will explore other options if they have a chance to improve offensively and defensively.
  • Options
    makes sense. Seems 2B has become a strong infield position as far as hitters go, the way SS was during the steroid era. I'd imagine NYY are keeping their options open.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    and you guys are about land Orlando Hudson for 1y/$5M. Hardy and Hudson will make a pretty nice up the middle combo...for one year anyway.
    Olney
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Glad to see that Mauer is staying in MN. Nice to see the small market teams keep their key players from time to time.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Good for baseball. Teams like the Twins need to sign Mauer and create some
    balance against the the big two in Yanks and Red Sox.