Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When selling on eBay why not give a good description???

I see it so much that it's a waste of time to look at an auction. Sure the seller will put a picture
or maybe 3 or 4 but the pics might not tell the whole story. Instead they gone and give you the
history of the production of the coin which I don't care about that or they tell you just
how great the TPG service is where there agian WHO CARES !! Please sellers when you put an item
on just say a few words about the coin and not all the other stuff, like nice coin with a touch of tone
on the abverse or something that you see while you got it in your hand that may not show up in the
pictures. Heck you know what you have in front of you just pass that on the the viewer. In this case
a picture is not word a thousand words but a few words can be worth a thousand pictures.

One other thing. Please put a picture of the obverse and the reverse of a coin with your item and there
again say something about both sides.

There, that's off my mind for tonight. Sorry for the R & R

Tiny

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the worst are those that have pages of "boilerplate" crap and then just something like "Cool Coin" for the description.

Just a no-nonsense, honest description and nice pictures of the obverse and reverse are all you need. CU member "Russ" (resco on eBay) is the model for the right way to list a coin.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Here's an auction I started just a few minutes ago....a complete set of GSA cards.

Tell me if the description is kind of what you had in mind. Most ebay sellers can use the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220549539571&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    link

SNMAN
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options

For the most part all of the items I list are better represented in good to better pics, I seldom give descriptions or hype in my auctions and it seems to work...image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, it boils down to laziness and/or the coin not being all that great to begin with...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few minor disagreements with how the man who is managing my ebay store lists coins, but he is a friend, a pro, and he is terminally ill so I won't rock the boat with him.
    In short, I agree with the OP, even as some of my eBay stuff is an example of what the OP and I apparently do not like. There is a sense of comfort reading that I'm not alone in my thinking.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they also say as little as possible so you can't claim it's not what they promised. If they say PQ with no marks and it's a scratched up POS you have more of a case in returning. If they say look at my great picture...it is what they say it is...a picture.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writing descriptions takes time. Some feel that the time isn't worth the money. I disagree and try to write descriptions as accurately as possible, which, when combined with good photos, sells a coin well.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Usually, it boils down to laziness and/or the coin not being all that great to begin with...

Some of us that are not lazy still think that pics are better then words in most cases where descriptions are not necessary......since we know that skeptical folks will think that.......

the coin not being all that great to begin with...................image
  • Options
    An Answer to GSAGUY

Well it's kind of like what I mean but one of the biggest things about saying somthing
    is " MINT " is that your mint and my mint and real mint can be different things. To use
    that word I learned years back when selling sports cards and diecast that mint is a tuff
    act to follow.

Why not tell about the color even tho you can see they are nice and white and how about
    the corners and the edges of the cards, are they square & crisp? Truefull words about items
    mean so much more than some blader dash about the item. Is that how ya spell that word?? LOL
  • Options

<< <i>For the most part all of the items I list are better represented in good to better pics, I seldom give descriptions or hype in my auctions and it seems to work...image >>

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for " HYPE " just words that share what you are looking at
    while you list the coin.
  • Options
    Your avitar needs no description - i will take it ! image
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TO me, the best description is more of a disclosure about the coin- a few lines that describe it, along with a listing of it's flaws. What's a waste of time is including the entire history of the design, mintage figures, etc.- totally unnecessary. If you have good photos, they will tell prospective buyers everything that's good about it.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    As much as good salesman should never say too much, he does need to say something and touching both the buyer's intellect and emotions is a powerful combination.
  • Options
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most sellers don't know how to grade coins and they sell mostly junk.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    I usually have a short description of 2 or 3 sentences, discussing the best attributes of the piece and noting any problems. Rarely do I include any mintage figures, statistic, history, etc.

Good pictures talk more than words.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually skip the hyperbole - SHOW ME THE PICTURES - the rest is just details. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a good Example

Nice pictures, brief, no-nonsense accurate description, and NO life story embedded in the terms and conditions. Also, if there is an obvious problems with a particular coin (i.e. spot, scratch, etc) Russ will point it out and not make you guess from the photo or hope you miss it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file