Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why did this Teletrade 1953 PCGS MS66 Franklin go for so cheap? Or, did it?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
I love this date- I can't explain why, when it comes to Franklins. This coin looks "all there", or at least to me.
These have either really come down a lot lately or there just weren't enough eyeballs on this auction.

Your thoughts?
Seems like an attractive and scarce coin for the price.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    ::Whoops::

Would help if I added the Teletrade auction LINK. image

1953 PCGS MS66 Franklin half dollar LINK

peacockcoins

• Options
    Pat ,

I remember owning that coin quite a few years ago - and when I saw it come up for auction I was prepared to go 500$ to get it back.

But as the auction went along I tried to remember why I sold it and it was because of that "spot" @ 9 o'clock .

It is a very , very pretty coin and should have brought closer to $500 . I was willing to sell the two MS66 examples I already have to finance

this one - but took my finger off the trigger for the reason stated above .

I see that the 1953 in MS66 has brought near the 500$ level in the recent past although that could be due to manipulations .......

And to beat the dog - the Franklin market ,which I monitor on a daily basis, is very depressed . I see a registry caliber collection

is coming up on Heritage soon ...many of the dates in MS66 FBL and many brilliant .

I believe that as prices spiral ever downward ,some ,due to panic and/or the dismal economy - will begin the wholesale dumping of Franklins.

This is a horrible time to try and sell Franklin's , but I see more high powered stuff hitting the market now then I can remember seeing in many a year.

The highs of 2001 and 2002 , when many a Franklin sold in the 3000 to 7000$ range will return , I just can't say when
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PP, that's an interesting look. My best guess is envelope toning.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Franklin purchased from Bushmaster, part of a group stored in envelopes- with very similar toning. Nice look.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    And to beat the dog - the Franklin market ,which I monitor on a daily basis, is very depressed . I see a registry caliber collection
    is coming up on Heritage soon ...many of the dates in MS66 FBL and many brilliant .
    I believe that as prices spiral ever downward ,some ,due to panic and/or the dismal economy - will begin the wholesale dumping of Franklins.
    This is a horrible time to try and sell Franklin's , but I see more high powered stuff hitting the market now then I can remember seeing in many a year.
    The highs of 2001 and 2002 , when many a Franklin sold in the 3000 to 7000$ range will return , I just can't say when >>

As someone who watches this market closely, is it your opinion that the top end coins have had the biggest downturn? Because the coins in this series that I collect, raw and/or in the 64ish range, seem to be selling for just about the same prices.

Just wondering...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    The spot bothered me a bit too, but not enough to stop me from bidding and win the coin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    p.s. I apologize to Pat for the tangent, and I cannot explain why it went for so cheap other than to point to a general downturn in the big dollar Franklins.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Mike, your question is thread related and a good one.
    I too thought the mid-range stuff was in a free fall, not the top of the grade material.

Perhaps Franklins offer their own set of circumstances, right now.
    Long term? Not being an expert of the series, but kind of knowing how people think (call it an occupational hazard), too many collector were born and raised during the time these large silver coins were being minted not to warrant more attention in the future. More attention equates to tighter supply (among the top tier coins) and thus higher prices.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Yes, that coin looks for all the world like it came out of the same type of envelope (maybe even the same hoard) as the group of very cool envelope toners I was lucky to run into some years back.

That is a lot of coin for the money! I would even say that was a bargain! I like it a lot.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    seeing the spot

and PCGS love of the GENNY

I would be reluctant to pay top dollar for a coin that may be 65 at best if submitted raw to PCGS today

hard to tell from pics, you probably got a score- you will know when arrives
  • Options
    Good or bad, I'll post images when it arrives.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>PP, that's an interesting look. My best guess is envelope toning. >>

BINGO ! without scrolling down as I see Bushwhacker has added something to this post - I think he made the coin or had something to do with it .......

I would say 97% it's envelope toned
  • Options

<< <i>The spot bothered me a bit too, but not enough to stop me from bidding and win the coin. >>

oh you dog !!! image
  • Options
    "is it your opinion that the top end coins have had the biggest downturn? "

oh hell yes ; the average MS66 FBL Franklin has lost it's shirt ............

MS 65's have been slaughtered as well , percentage wise I think both grades have similar losses .

Some of the MS 66 FBL key dates have plummeted dramatically and even though the PCGS Price guide has made major

price corrections for them -they still have to lower their figures significantly more if they want them to portray true selling levels.

The Franklin segment of the PCGS Price Guide is proped up artificially high by the top Franklin dealer in the country .

Raw coins and MS64's have dropped slightly -but I do not follow such coins like I do the MS 65, 66 stuff .

.........and I watch those like a hawk image
  • Options
    ...and hey ...........I saw you bid on it with less then 60 seconds to go .......

well done image
  • Options

<< <i>...and hey ...........I saw you bid on it with less then 60 seconds to go .......

well done image >>

And $300. was my max bid too.
    That's either lucky or just strange.

peacockcoins

• Options
    .a little bit of both
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I like the toning on this '53, and I'm sure it looks much better than the TT images.

And yes, all the best material comes out of hiding when the economy is in the toilet, or when the owner's financials are in the toilet.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...And yes, all the best material comes out of hiding when the economy is in the toilet, or when the owner's financials are in the toilet. >>

I would definitely not say that all the best material comes out when the economy is in the toilet. There is a reason coin collectors talk about "strong hands". By definition a collector like that can hold on to material until things turn around.

Now, OTOH, when the owner's financials are bad, then yes, definitely, you can certainly find some nice coins at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    And yes, all the best material comes out of hiding when the economy is in the toilet, or when the owner's financials are in the toilet. >>

Ok, maybe not all the best material but some or most of it will hit the market when money is needed by the owner.

I wouldn't sell my favorite coins unless I had to, for financial reasons. And I'm sure that's how it happens most of the time.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    The strike looks weak to me
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that strike doubling on the face?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>The strike looks weak to me >>

..........it's a '53

"most '53-P's are very similar to the average 1953-S in appearance , which is the weakest struck date in the series "

"the strike on a '53-P is among the worst in the series "

" several flat struck pieces have been graded in MS66 with clean but rather dull surfaces ......."
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Lacks eye appeal; weak strike; you could do much better.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looking forward to seeing your pictures of the coin.. let's see, '53, what do I have in a '53...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Lacks eye appeal; weak strike; you could do much better. >>

BILL ! it is a very eye appealing coin and has an average strike for the date........

much better would be one hellova coin and involve a long search and a heap more money image
  • Options
    I agree that the coin has nice eye appeal. Especially so if you compare it to other PCGS 66's, nearly all are quite ho-hum.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

Stab me in the heart with a rusted spike, brother!

The jury is out for me until the coin arrives. I have a way of "reading" Teletrade photos and I think I see something kind of special with this one.
    It should arrive on tomorrow, and I had planned on shooting other coins for auction and will include this Franklin so I may post photos here.

Really? Lacks eye appeal?
    Dang. I have stomach pains from reading that opinion, and I haven't even eaten my wife's "special" home made turkey stuffing yet (hint: she uses sausage and raisins).

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>

Just the wine talking...image
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I just saw the '53 o.p sell @ eBay !image
  • Options
    around 260$ .......!!!!!

the T.T sale @ 330$ was supposed to be a steal image
  • Options

<< <i>I woulda bid that coin much higher, only 1 problem kept me from it.

1) Braddick blocked me on Ebay several years ago right after I returned a couple Washies (despite very positive feed back on my part).

Never understood why someone would block bidders because of returns. >>

Point one: I'm not the one that sold the coin, greattoning did, on consignment.

Point two: I've never blocked anyone for simply returning a coin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I been blocked by the best of them .......... only thing I ever see is that they loose my high bids and cut off their nose to spite their face's .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file