Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a marked premium on a 1939-s nickel with reverse of 1940?

It seems like there is in the higher grade FS according to the PCGS price guide, but what about in reality, on the bourse?

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    logic tells me that the premium should be with the R. 38 instead. the difficult thing isn't just that there are coins which were graded before R. 38 and R. 40 were differentiated on the insert, but i have seen coins with wrong attribution, either through lack of knowledge by the graders or the old catch all "mechanical error" excuse.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Keets. The Rev 38 is rarer in FS. The straight lines of the Rev 40 just seemed an easier design to result in FS. The same is true for the proofs.

I try to check carefully when purchasing the 1939 coins. I have a 1939 MS67 FS that was not designated so I thought I was buying a Rev 38. Turned out to be Rev 40, so a good buy transformed into too high a price. Sometimes it is difficult to tell from auction photos.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I think in absolute terms, the R40 is rarer than the R38, but for full steps the opposite is true.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In non-FS I rarely see the the 1939-S R40 offered for sale in higher grades, let alone see it priced even remotely close to the R38. Just checking the most recent Heritage archives, the last PCGS-66 1939-S R40 (non-FS) sold for $345. The last three PCGS-66 1939-S R38s (non-FS) sold for $104, $79 and $84.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    so what is a 1939-s Rev 40 in 65 FS worth? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    for the 1939 (P) the rev of 38 is hard to find in unc, and in my opinion worth finding and saving. For the s mint it is no problem to fiind a rev of 38.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so what is a 1939-s Rev 40 in 65 FS worth? Any thoughts? >>

The last 4 PCGS coins at Heritage went for $253, $149 (looks like somebody got a bargain), $322 and $184. The last 66FS went for $1,610.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last 66FS went for $1,610.

if i read the Heritage site correctly, that item went unsold because it's for sale using the "Make offer to owner" option. also, there is listed with that a Reverse of 1938 priced slightly higher. that should answer the OP's question, to wit------the 1939-S/R.38 is priced slightly more than the 1939-S/R.40 in higher grade FS, at least with this limited, most recent data from Heritage. it is worthy of note that the R.40 coins seem much more available than the R.38 coins.

what i think bears some thought for anyone interested in this date(with either Reverse) is some close examination of the pictures listed at Heritage. i wouldn't be willing to pay many times the multiple of a non-FS coin for such a spurious designation. Leo definitely has the best idea for this series in Mint State-----forget about the Full Step designation and concern yourself with finding Fully Struck specimens.
  • Options
    "Leo definitely has the best idea for this series in Mint State-----forget about the Full Step designation and concern yourself with finding Fully Struck specimens. "

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file