Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you been successful on PCGS ReGrade Service

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
Have you resubmitted using PCGS re-grade service and been successful at an upgrade?

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am curious on experiences also, I have some to submit in Long Beach. Doing crossovers at FUN...
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I went four for five when I sent some of my nicer coins in. I was happy with the results.

This was one of them OGH to PR68CAM

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    what was the re-grade fee? same as regular submission grading?

I understand they keep all designations, i.e. First Strike as well on new label.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My success rate over 10 years and about 30 coins is around 33%. But remember: I've only sent in coins that I thought really did have a chance to upgrade (except for one that was in a 3-coin group that I used to "set up" the one I really wanted to upgrade. Yes, the target coin upgraded, but so did the setup coin.) image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really, but I've submitted some "shots" with extra freebies, and a grand total of maybe 10-15 coins. I've tried
    it with some green label coins where the holder had major cracks or gouges, instead of the straight reholder.
    I did get an upgrade on a crossover a couple years ago. I haven't submitted much of anything in the past year.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>When HRH did the Q&A a few years ago he quoted approx 5% error rate on grading. Which to me means 2.5% are graded to low and 2.5% to high.

The question then is is your coin one of the 2.5%? and will PCGS agree? Better bet would be to crack it out and send raw. >>

True, but lately it seems there's a chance the coin might come back GENUINE for questionable surfaces based on some experiences posted here.
    I guess when you play the game, you have to live with the results until the next submission image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer to submit coins for grading raw but there have been some successful upgrades from coins that were submitted already graded. I know of instances where upgrades worth in the five figures have happened on regrade submissions so upgrades do happen.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been successful at almost everything I do. Of course , I failed miserably the first dozen times image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am lucky about 30% of the submissions.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes on multiple occasions.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    About a month ago I had 5 out of 11 coins upgrade on a submission. I tried cracking a coin out and sending in raw once--didn't work out.
  • Options
    None.. and there have been some really nice coins I've sent in too..... image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never on a regrade. Nice upgrades on crackouts, though. Once had a 65RB 19-s cent go 65RD on crackout. Same submission yielded a twice 91'd 11-s into a 65RB holder.

Next crackout submission yielded 91's on an ex PCGS 65RD 1915, and an ex NGC 66RB 1912-s, so there are definite losers.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only sent in two coins for this service.
    Both coins came back with higher grades.
    63 to a 64
    62 to a 64
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file