Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

wowser, how many watchers have u had on an item?

wowser, how many watchers have u had on an item? and either 1 or none have bid on your item under 10 bucks (cheap skates).
I had 17 watchers on a 9.99 item ( and this item probably cost 10 bucks 40 yrs ago) and only one bid on it (in the last 2 minutes), almost felt like emailing the buyer and and saying here u can have it for free! or sorry the item got lost. I guess it must really be bad out there or either ebay has just become a bunch of cheap skate , low balling flea market idiots. I am thinking the latter which means, I will be quitting ebay as i could not stand this type of buyer 15 years ago less much now. u all have a good night.image

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I had over 40 watchers for a $1,000 card that sold for $280.....and had to be sniped to finish at that....
  • Options

<< <i>wowser, how many watchers have u had on an item? and either 1 or none have bid on your item under 10 bucks (cheap skates).
    I had 17 watchers on a 9.99 item ( and this item probably cost 10 bucks 40 yrs ago) and only one bid on it (in the last 2 minutes), almost felt like emailing the buyer and and saying here u can have it for free! or sorry the item got lost. I guess it must really be bad out there or either ebay has just become a bunch of cheap skate , low balling flea market idiots. I am thinking the latter which means, I will be quitting ebay as i could not stand this type of buyer 15 years ago less much now. u all have a good night.image >>

I hear your frustration, but the market is very soft for sports cards right now. With close to 20% of the population unemployed or severely underemployed is it any wonder? From all of the "deals" I have been scoring as of late, I would highly recommend staying away from sports cards as an investment medium. Prices may rebound eventually, but I fear the shrinking number of collectors will further erode demand in the long turn driving down prices even further on anything but the ultra high end.
  • Options

<< <i>I had over 40 watchers for a $1,000 card that sold for $280.....and had to be sniped to finish at that.... >>

Apparently it wasnt a "$1,000" card then, huh?image
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Mine sold the week Ebay had its "malfunction"........I probably should have pulled the plug as soon as that happened....
    VCP average is still around $960 even though mine sold so cheaply.....
  • Options
    on some nice Carson City Silver dollars (low mintage) i sold a few years back i had 40 watchers and about 15 unique bidders... made for a happy return!
  • Options
    Just over 50 watchers was my all time high. It was on a rare Engelhard 2 troy ounce poured style gold bar. At the time, the bar had a melt value of right around $1,600. It hammered at around $2,800 IIRC. I do not recall how many unique bidders there were, but there was well over 30 bids on it!
  • Options
    I've had 20+ watchers on an item with ZERO bids, i think i started it at $9.99.
  • Options
    I had over 100 watchers on a card that I had listed for $250k. Of course it was a $15 card listed that high simply for my entertainment.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had over 100 watchers on a card that I had listed for $250k. Of course it was a $15 card listed that high simply for my entertainment. >>

classic, my most was mid 30's, and as others have stated they usual end disappointingly.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I can remember months ago when those kids had that Illinois shaped frosted flake and it had something like 30 million views before Ebay pulled it for being food. I'm sure they had a watcher or 2... image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think the most I ever had was for a couple of harder to get autos several years ago. I think I was in the mid 40's on both.

I agree with the OP, ebay has turned into a bunch of lowball flea market idiots for the most part (Buyers, not sellers). Hence is why you are having more chargebacks, paypal claims, idiot BIN offers, etc etc. Not that anyone doesnt want a deal, the problem is there are more "speculators" on ebay than actual collectors, especially when you have lower dollar items. People are wanting to buy at 10% book, then come into my shop and sell the crap to me for 20% book, then they get pissed when I tell them their stuff is only worth 5%.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    it was on an antique light bulb, i had 87 watchers and just about all of them bid on it,4k later and i was smiling,, the thing is when you get to certain level of watchers it puts you into a specific class that advertises the "most watch" item, which brings more watchers, cant remember the name of the site though its been 3 yrs now,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I was selling a bunch of antique and vintage fishing lures. On one of my 1920's Heddon SOS lures I had over 90 watchers on it...On many of the others I had 30 to 50. I guess people put watches on auction items in hopes the item might sell low or they just want to see what the item sells for.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I had over 100 watchers on a card that I had listed for $250k. Of course it was a $15 card listed that high simply for my entertainment. >>

classic, my most was mid 30's, and as others have stated they usual end disappointingly. >>

Morning,

I've had items with as many as 200 Watchers (66 Batman PSA set, sold $17K), but average 5-25 watchers for the most off the wall items as well as run of the mill and they are for the following reasons:

1. Other Sellers who have the same item wanting to see what the Market is bringing (I do it all the time).

2. Owners of an item that have no clue what it is worth but want to see what the Market is bringing. (I get contacted then by them offering to sell it to me for what I sold it for!!!).

3. Somebody sees an item with a rediculous Starting price or BIN and watch so they can see the item end with no Sale and say to themselves, Self: That guy is a Moron, and laugh at their knowledge that they knew it would never sell for that amount to begin with (I do it all the time).

4. Having just watched a unique item end for Top Dollar and seeing the same item start coming up over and over, just love watching the train wreck of the first one sells for $89.00 and by the time the moron lists the same item for the 7th time, #7 sells for his opening bid of $4.99.!! YeeHah!!!!image (My Favorite). They don't even wait and give some time in between, just list the same item over and over!!!

5. Persons with no experience with cards but have something and watch your items to see you Sell a few items and then contact you to tell you that they have Item AAAAA, and saw you sold it for $$$ and they want you to buy a similar Item AAAAA for High Beckett because that's what it is worth!!!! (Another one of my Favorites).

6. My Competitors in the Non Sport realm, to see what's shakin' and what I have that they don't and need to find! (I do the same).

And I'm sure there are lots more!!!!

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!