Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neither trime nor nickel: TRICKLE?

Interesting little sidebar note in the February 2010 issue of American History magazine, pg 11.

Have you ever heard or read the copper-nickel 3-cent piece referred to as a "trickle"?

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I have referred to 3c nickels, as trickels in the past, but have not seen anyone else do it.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Then why wouldn't the three-cent silver piece be a trilver? image
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used the terms Trime and Trickel in the past.
  • Options
    I'm quite surprised to see that several members have used the term.

I've never seen it or heard it or said it before in my life.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    I queried Q. David Bowers (who hadn't heard the term before), Richard Doty (the same), and Kenneth Bressett (who said it sounded vaguely familiar).

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have referred to 3c nickels, as trickels in the past, but have not seen anyone else do it. >>

you obviously have me on ignore! I have done so for years.
  • Options
    I have used the term 'trickle" many times over the course of my life.
    Mainly it referred to a very small stream of water.
    Never in relation to a coin though.

Ray
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    back in 2004: Trickel
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Dentuck December 14, 2009
    Interesting little sidebar note in the February 2010 issue of American History magazine, pg 11.
    Have you ever heard or read the copper-nickel 3-cent piece referred to as a "trickle"?

This was used in a Coins Magazine article of October 2009. The article was titled
    “From Trime to Trickle.”

The article may be found here: Link

By accident the person who set this article up at the Krause website said it was published
    by Numismatic News instead of Coins Magazine. In addition “trickel” is used in
    the article and “trickle” was used by mistake in the title.

Denga
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I've seen the 3-cent CuNi coin referred to as a "nickel" and the larger denomination as "five-cent piece."
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had used the term trickel last month in this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>
    This was used in a Coins Magazine article of October 2009. The article was titled
    “From Trime to Trickle.”
    >>

Thanks, Denga. I was familiar with Bob Julian's article, but I assumed its headline was a clever play on words (i.e., playing on the fact that the mintages went from millions down a thousands, or from a flood to a trickle).

The person I failed to query yesterday was R.W. Julian himself! I'll drop him a line. He does seem to use the word "trickel" authoritatively in his article.

• Options
    Although I was unfamiliar with the term until now...I like it. From this day forward, I will refer to all of my three cent nickels as Trickels. I always liked trime, and I think trickel is the perfect compliment. I am sure I will have to explain myself a bit when I am set up at shows, though.

merse

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Trime" sounds like shorthand for "triple dime," so the term should be reserved for the 30-cent piece.

Coming soon to a cash register near you! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Should a $3 be a Trollar?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I queried Q. David Bowers (who hadn't heard the term before), Richard Doty (the same), and Kenneth Bressett (who said it sounded vaguely familiar). >>

Show off. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Yes , I have herd the term for years, but refuse to use it, along with other dumb terms such as "double dime". I'm not surprised that some mentioned luminaries in the hobby deny knowing of such terms, because admitting to such could be bad for a carefully constructed career...maybe not Tiger Woods bad, but bad no the less. imageimage
  • Options
    <<I've seen the 3-cent CuNi coin referred to as a "nickel">>

Likewise the 1857-1864 cents.
  • Options

<< <i>I am sure I will have to explain myself a bit when I am set up at shows, though. >>

LOL!

"I got a fresh trickle yesterday."

"I'm in over my head with these trickles."

"Did your trickle CAC?"

• Options
    Cracked-Out Trickle: My Life as a Coin Junkie, by Nick L. Clad.
    Foreword by Xavier Monny.

(c) 2009 Whitfeld Publishing.

432 pages, softcover, fully illustrated.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then why wouldn't the three-cent silver piece be a trilver? image >>

three cent silvers are "trimes"
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Thanks, Denga. I was familiar with Bob Julian's article, but I assumed its headline was a clever play on words (i.e., playing on the fact that the mintages went from millions down a thousands, or from a flood to a trickle).

The person I failed to query yesterday was R.W. Julian himself! I'll drop him a line. He does seem to use the word "trickel" authoritatively in his article.

Did this make anyone else smile? image
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was over that the other dealers case and noticed he had a good set of trickles going. I asked him how about one particular trickle was and he said "That's a strong trickle, the best I've seen in a long time". I gazed at the set of trickles and said "Are they all from the same set?". The dealer said, "Yes they are all part of the same emission".
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used it also, but usually i n jest.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Did this make anyone else smile? image >>

LOL!!!!!! Now I REALLY feel like a babe in the woods! LOL!!!!!!!

Okay, yes... I just learned (or remembered / was reminded) that Denga = Bob Julian.

I've only been on the board for ... a ... few years. lol?

:-)

• Options

<< <i>I was over that the other dealers case and noticed he had a good set of trickles going. I asked him how about one particular trickle was and he said "That's a strong trickle, the best I've seen in a long time". I gazed at the set of trickles and said "Are they all from the same set?". The dealer said, "Yes they are all part of the same emission". >>

Rick, this is too much! lol ... I daren't even ask about the Trickle Collectors Society of America.

"Always wear gloves and observe your trickle under a direct light."

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure am glad to see that Denga found a suitable image. I was beginning to think the red X was some sort of protest.

I would have thought it would be something like this:
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, Denga. I was familiar with Bob Julian's article, but I assumed its headline was a clever play on words (i.e., playing on the fact that the mintages went from millions down a thousands, or from a flood to a trickle).

Did this make anyone else smile? image >>

I just did.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I queried Q. David Bowers (who hadn't heard the term before), Richard Doty (the same), and Kenneth Bressett (who said it sounded vaguely familiar). >>

Bob Korver here at Heritage is quite fond of using the term in the proper numismatic sense... errr, three cents. image I'm a little surprised that QDB hadn't heard it from him at some point. EDIT: Bob assures me that QDB *has* heard it. image

Of course, I always thought that a twenty cent piece should be called a paradigm...
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I've used the term hundreds, if not thousands of times. But, most of the time it is in reference to this NASCAR driver...

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Bob Korver here at Heritage is quite fond of using the term in the proper numismatic sense... errr, three cents. image I'm a little surprised that QDB hadn't heard it from him at some point.

Of course, I always thought that a twenty cent piece should be called a paradigm... >>

So, the 1876-CC obverse shows a paradigm shift????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    THE HUNT FOR THE TRICKEL
    by Dennis Tucker

There was an old name for the nickel,
    'Twas etymologically fickle.
    A search through the books
    Gave us naught but grim looks.
    An erratum typographickle?

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Dick Trickle. What were his parents thinking?
  • Options
    The Trickel
    by Dr. Richard Doty, Sr. Curator, National Numismatic Collection, Smithsonian Institution

Trickel, trickel, little trime
    Bet you wish you were a dime!
    But even if you’re small and bent
    You’re still worth more than the lowly cent!

• Options
    I don't use the term, but I've heard it or read it several times in relation to the coin, and I'm still in my twenties...must be one of those slang terms the kids are using these days...image

Surprised no one has posted a picture yet...here's one I picked up thanks to Rick Snow earlier this year...

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the 1876-CC obverse shows a paradigm shift????

I'm glad I caught this the second time around! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have referred to 3c nickels, as trickels in the past, but have not seen anyone else do it. >>

The following note has been on my website for at least 2 years if I recall correctly:

Silver three cent pieces are often called "trimes" which makes me believe that nickel three cent pieces should be called "trickels".

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>

The following note has been on my website for at least 2 years if I recall correctly:

Silver three cent pieces are often called "trimes" which makes me believe that nickel three cent pieces should be called "trickels". >>

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file